New hero MF

mgcassaro

Cassaro
Reaction score
A squad is moving, CX from the beginning. At MF #3, the squad takes fire, leading to HOB and Hero generation. The Hero is CX. How many MF remain for the newly created Hero?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The PS says 5MF:

A4.5 & A15.21
A squad declares Double Time at the start of its MPh and thus has 6 MF. On the expenditure of its 3rd MF it is attacked by the
enemy, triggering the creation of a Hero by Heat of Battle.
Is this hero CX?
A. Yes the Hero would also be CX.
Are the squad and the Hero considered to be moving as a stack despite the Hero being created after the start of the MPh of its
parent unit?
A. Yes, they are considered to be moving as a stack.
Does the hero have left 4 MF (8 - 50% MF moved previously by the parent unit = 4 MF) or 5 MF (8 - 3 MF moved previously by
the parent unit)?
A. 5 MF.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Initially counterintuitive but the math makes sense and is easy to see once the governing logic is pointed out.

Pre-creation, the gonna-be Hero started its MPh w/8 MFs and used only 3. So, upon emergence, 5 of 8 remain to the generated Hero chit. D'oh.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No explicit rule AFAICS but once the logic is pointed out it's kinda easy to see, I think.

That said, cite A4.5:
o Had the double-timing Hero existed on board at start, he'd have had 8 MF.
o As it happens, he springs from an MMC to take counter form after having already expended 3 MF while p/o the spawning MMC.
o 8 MF (SMC early double time allowance) - 3 MF (spent before creation) = 5 MF still available.

mgcassaro

Cassaro
Reaction score
I follow the logic. But I can't find a rule.

I've heard both arguments presented here, 4 or 5 MF remaining. I've also heard the argument that the squad had expended 3/4 of it's MF, so the newly created hero also expended 3/4 of it's base 6, or 4.5 MF, leaving 1.5 plus the 2 for CX, or 3.5 MF remaining. I see the calculation as crazy, and illogical, but it seems to be equally (un)supported by the rules.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I follow the logic. But I can't find a rule.

I've heard both arguments presented here, 4 or 5 MF remaining. I've also heard the argument that the squad had expended 3/4 of it's MF, so the newly created hero also expended 3/4 of it's base 6, or 4.5 MF, leaving 1.5 plus the 2 for CX, or 3.5 MF remaining. I see the calculation as crazy, and illogical, but it seems to be equally (un)supported by the rules.
Perry Sez. Therefore, you do not need a rule reference. :)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Perry is one of the three principals of MMP. He controls the rules set. He is right because he is the last word.

mgcassaro

Cassaro
Reaction score
Opportunity! Opportunity is what I need! Having the answer is of little practical use, without opportunity.

There's lots of answers tumbling between my ears. This forum is good for answers. Opportunity, ... not so much.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States