Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
First sentence, ask first. I want respect as much as the next guy.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
First sentence, ask first. I want respect as much as the next guy.

-come-on man!

this is a good God fearing ASL Brother from away announcing a passion projects eminent release

this is not some corporate game corporation out to sucker you out of all those big ASL dollars this poor bastard may make

godspeed sebosebi

long live gamesquad

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would agree, let it roll. The success of these new product announcements are in the best interests to me as a player.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would you not keep it open, period? And why was the Seoul thread shut down? What is going on here?
Double standard is what is going on...

I was "gifted" Emporium status (I am happy to have it removed, now*) so the Seoul thread can stay on the main page. I was told (by a very trusted mod) the "Biazza/Brevity" chap does not have Emporium privileges so his threadssss are allowed to run on the main page. I want the same for my project.

CORRECTION! I was gifted "viewing" privileges not posting thread privileges...so effectively I am in the same boat (best I see it) as "Brevity" chap.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What if it's not my goods or services? What if I am want to tell people I am excited that a (someone else's) product is going preorder?

What if I post an unwrapping video (or photos of maps, counters etc)?

PS I understand commercial needs.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
What if it's not my goods or services? What if I am want to tell people I am excited that a (someone else's) product is going preorder?

There are forums where you can create reviews of published products.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are forums where you can create reviews of published products.

Even though this is not a review but an announcement?

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Telling others how excited you are about the new LCP product is not advertising, in general. If you post a copied and paste advertisement, material originally posted on the LCP website, that's not about your excitement.

Not good -
"Königsberg – The Bear’s Revenge (KBR) is a tactical-level game that allows players to experience some of the challenges faced by local commanders during the Soviet Third Byelorussian Front’s bid to secure the German city of Königsberg. Königsberg was, according to British Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, “a modernized heavily defended fortress”. Three concentric rings of fortifications surrounded the city: the outer ring of defences reinforced by 12 forts outside the town, the middle ring in the outskirts, and the inner city, which consisted of a single fortress of anti-tank defences, barricades and landmines, along with several other forts.

Königsberg - the Bear's Revenge (KBR) will contain a 48"x34" map (spilt into two halves), 280x 1/2" counters, 88x 5/8" counters, Historical Write Up, KBR Rules, Tactical Mission (a.k.a. Campaign Game), and 6 scenarios (1x enormous, 3x medium, and 2x small)."

Good -
"I just saw an ad about LCP new pack, the Bear's Revenge, about the Soviet - German battle for Konigsberg. The city was heavily fortified with concentric defenses and forts. Two maps, over 300 new counters, some historical background material. I looking forward to it's publication in December. With the maps samples I saw it will probably cost more than other mission packs he's created but I got the money (though the kids have to survive on tiny bowls of lard with a single hair for a few months). I have played other mission packs, Drive for St Lo. Hope this will be just as good."

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
While understanding the need to fund this website, I find it somewhat difficult to differentiate beween the following:

An "advertisement" of a product, a "preview" of a product (which might still be in development or already published) or a "notice" about a product.

For example Broken Ground has provided coverage of almost every single one of their counter-sheets while still in development. People gave their thoughts, made suggestions for improvement etc. But in a way, one could argue this also had elements of "advertisement" in it. Yet, I found it a valuable thread.

For another example, bytimes Gunner Scott provides quite good "previews" of some stuff he has bought with pictures of maps and a general view of counters/contents. I cannot discern much of a difference between such previews and those that Advancing Fire just recently gave. I like both.

For a final example, Dispatches from the Bunker gives "notice" of the publication of new scenarios once in a while, both in the Emporium as well as in the "normal" forum area. He obviously contributes as a Silver or Gold member (can't remember) to have Emporium privileges. Does it make a difference if you give "notice" about your own products or merely as a third person tell others what you have just found somewhere?

I am not a native speaker, so I hope I manage to get across the message of what I mean with "advertisement", "preview", and "notice". IMHO it is somewhat difficult to clearly separate these three from each other and I have also not entirely grokked if it makes a difference if you are telling something about your own product or if you are talking about someone else's product. Maybe such issues are also partly decided on an individual basis in which it may make a difference if the person in question inquired with the moderators before posting? AFAIK the forum rules do not seem to be very specific, so maybe people could be helped with a guideline such as Randy gave in part in post #14.

Just for the record, I do not want to question the policies of this forum but rather wrap my head around how they work.

Cheers,
von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
It’s a hobby site I see no reason to change what has been the norm since the start???

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
ASLers want to see what’s new, always wanting new stuff, here is the best place they first look ?

Last edited:

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ordered via Gamers Armory.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

you mean like what I did ?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
CORRECTION! I was gifted "viewing" privileges not posting thread privileges...so effectively I am in the same boat (best I see it) as "Brevity" chap.
I don't know what happened. I assure you, I did nothing to allow you to view the Emporium. As I understand it, anyone can view the Emporium and anyone can reply to threads started in the Emporium. As I understand it, only subscribers can create threads in the Emporium. When I conducted my Blind Auction for Wounded Warriors, I approached the owner and asked him to gift me a subscription for the duration of the auction (which he graciously did). That allowed me to start a thread in the Emporium and run the auction. When I was through, the owner withdrew my privilege and turned me back into a non-paying member. -- jim

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
While understanding the need to fund this website, I find it somewhat difficult to differentiate between the following:

An "advertisement" of a product, a "preview" of a product (which might still be in development or already published) or a "notice" about a product.

For example Broken Ground has provided coverage of almost every single one of their counter-sheets while still in development. People gave their thoughts, made suggestions for improvement etc. But in a way, one could argue this also had elements of "advertisement" in it. Yet, I found it a valuable thread.

For another example, bytimes Gunner Scott provides quite good "previews" of some stuff he has bought with pictures of maps and a general view of counters/contents. I cannot discern much of a difference between such previews and those that Advancing Fire just recently gave. I like both.
Advertisements seek to sell the product or service. You have seen ads on TV, newspaper, magazines, Facebook, etc.

What Broken Ground did (as have others) was product development seeking input from potential customers to fine tune the final product. Gunner Scott's reviews or previews of products do not include (IIRC) a specific appeal to buy but are more like 'be on the lookout for this once it goes on sale, it's good stuff'.

For a final example, Dispatches from the Bunker gives "notice" of the publication of new scenarios once in a while, both in the Emporium as well as in the "normal" forum area. He obviously contributes as a Silver or Gold member (can't remember) to have Emporium privileges. Does it make a difference if you give "notice" about your own products or merely as a third person tell others what you have just found somewhere?
Looks like he was advertising within the forum rules as he understood them. He bought the special membership so he could advertise without having to submit posts to GS before posting on the forums.

I am not a native speaker, so I hope I manage to get across the message of what I mean with "advertisement", "preview", and "notice". IMHO it is somewhat difficult to clearly separate these three from each other and I have also not entirely grokked if it makes a difference if you are telling something about your own product or if you are talking about someone else's product. Maybe such issues are also partly decided on an individual basis in which it may make a difference if the person in question inquired with the moderators before posting? AFAIK the forum rules do not seem to be very specific, so maybe people could be helped with a guideline such as Randy gave in part in post #14.

Just for the record, I do not want to question the policies of this forum but rather wrap my head around how they work.
Promoting sales of your own creation (Justicar's [Andy] Fight for Seoul) is an advertisement. Telling others about what you created, highlighting contents, maps, counters, etc. without a reference to sales can be viewed as type of review / preview.

Last edited:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know what happened. I assure you, I did nothing to allow you to view the Emporium. As I understand it, anyone can view the Emporium and anyone can reply to threads started in the Emporium. As I understand it, only subscribers can create threads in the Emporium. When I conducted my Blind Auction for Wounded Warriors, I approached the owner and asked him to gift me a subscription for the duration of the auction (which he graciously did). That allowed me to start a thread in the Emporium and run the auction. When I was through, the owner withdrew my privilege and turned me back into a non-paying member. -- jim
Can't say what happened then...b/c prior to that I could not even view the Emporium I would get a message page that said "You do not have ..." etc... The color of this page was in rose colored hues...not red...but rose a polite way of saying you can go here....