New game Panzer Command

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
New game by Matrix.

"A brand new campaign-based 3D tactical engine covering combat in World War II, from the developers at Koios Works. The first operation covered is the famous "Wintergewitter" or Winter Storm, a desperate attempt by Hoth's 57th Panzer Korps to break through to the encircled 6th Armee at Stalingrad and the Soviet counter-attack that drove them back."

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Turn based.

Fantastic.

just hope they give the option to show all infantry in a squad.

aysi$

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Looks like CM to me,its WEGO as well

40secs instead of 60

gee dont know is this the latest cutting edge PC game,probably just enough differences to not upset Battlefront

sorry to sound so negative but been there done that x3 CMBO,CMBB and CMAK

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
aysi$ said:
Looks like CM to me,its WEGO as well

40secs instead of 60

gee dont know is this the latest cutting edge PC game,probably just enough differences to not upset Battlefront

sorry to sound so negative but been there done that x3 CMBO,CMBB and CMAK
Might be no different than comparing Battles in Normandy with Panzer Campaign Normandy 44 of course. Both operational board game looking wargames.

I agree, it will be up against a solid base of nay sayer CM fanatics laughing it off as a pointless wargame.
Then again, CM is old software, and this game might be able to do something to benefit from more modern hardware.

Time will tell.

junk2drive

Reaction score
After reading a preview at grognard it's starting to sound like Close Combat 3D.
Game set map and storyline, pick your forces and try to do better than historical.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This title is now gold, and they have set the date of arrival.

So I took a slow and complete look at the game home site.

I have to be honest, the terrain looks flatter than flat. It's so flat it's distracting.

The vehicle models look somehow not quite rendered well enough. I would expect in this current year, they would be visibly so much better than CM. They don't even look as good as early CM though.
This is all based on all the screenshots though. But, if they are actually better looking than they appear, shouldn't that be apparent on the game's actual site by now?

The fight apears to be centered around a very finite locale. Not a major issue, but, I have too many wargames now. The last thing to interest me, is going to be a ho hum game.

This game is going to be standing at the back of a very long line until I get some manner of tangible reason why it shouldn't be there.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Panzer Command is actually quite different from Combat Mission, although it looks very similar from screenshots.

PZC is entirely tuned to resolve tactical battles for the purpose of advancing the campaign and carrying over your surviving units (or not :)). The game mechanics are much more straightforward, you give less commands. Things are (gasp) documented and the combat mechanics are easy to understand (taken with permission from a boardgame).

A turn is actually 80 seconds, with 40 seconds action and 40 seconds reaction phase.

The flat terrain is just the setting. The first PZC game is Winter Storm, which plays out the relief effort for the trapped forces in Stalingrad. That happened to be flat terrain, sorry :)

Last edited:

liuzg150181

Reaction score
Country
llSingapore
As Les had already said,too many quality wargames released by Matrix games recently,its visual similarity with CM might be a psychological obstable to adapt to,and from what Redwolf had descripted it seems like a 3d boardgame of Panzer General and the likes.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I checked out the PC: WS movie and I must say it looks just like CMBB! I wish these wargame companies would start releasing games outside of WWII! It is getting really stale. Instead of doing a CM-ish game, I wish Koios would have continued with their ancients series. A nice, turn-based, PBEM-capable ancients wargame would be a breath of fresh air.

Hentzau

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott Tortorice said:
Instead of doing a CM-ish game, I wish Koios would have continued with their ancients series.
Ditto, lost one bird in the hand here

Cougar_DK

Former POA2 Thread Keeper
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
It seems that its possible to mod the game and vehicle stats. This could help it a lot IMHO.

Panzer Command: Operation Winter Storm is also the first 3D tactical WWII game where the unit and weapon data as well as the unit art is stored in easily accessible formats to enable mod support and customized scenarios and campaigns post-release.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, all combat values like armor thickness, penetration, hit probabilities, artillery impact are in XML (ASCII) files that you can edit freely.

Sounds and textures are plain single files on disk.

The only thing you cannot mod is the 3D models other than texturing.

Last edited:

junk2drive

Reaction score
The game has been for sale since Friday. Comments around the web have been good with some requests for additional features.
How long before SZO adds a section?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:
The only thing you cannot mod is the 3D models other than texturing.
Apparently this wasn't true, you can plug in 3D models of your own and documentation on doing so shoud appear shortly.

On the Matrix forums people started heavily messing with the combat values and unit display.