New game is... *drumroll*

Reaction score
I'm not at Tillercon :cry:

However, the rumor making the rounds is that the new game is Shiloh. We'll probably know for sure later today, but I think it's reasonably solid.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be there tomorrow! CS is the buzz I'm hearing.

I've played SPI's "Bloody April" and TS' Shiloh so I reckon I'll have to pick up a copy tomorrow. I'm interested to see what other historical battles are included.

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Cyber . . . I'm dying to know what the extraneous battles are included; what 'goodies.' . . . Belmont? . . . Donaldson? . . . Sherman's excursions downriver from Pittsburg Landing? . . . Kentucky? . . . Forrest and company?

I keep hoping for my fantasy campaign: Stonewall's 1862 Valley Campaign, from Romney right on through Port Republic, a nice little series of small to medium encounters, plus a rounded selection of running skirmishes and some Turner Ashby cavalry bumpin's.

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I will order it as soon as it will be availible at NWS.
I'm interested if in campaign game will be any chance for joining Van Dorn's army with Johnston's for a grand battle with blue-bellies:)

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rahamy said:
Just an FYI - it will be avil. to the public on 7/1
Thanks, Rich. I should have mentioned my purchase was one of the benefits of attending TillerCon. :cheeky:

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
:)

Glad you were able to make it Brent...sorry we didn't get to chat more. I'm my "ignorance" having not run an event of that size before I thought I would actually have more time to visit and game...didn't really turn out that way for me. :shock: But, the overall objectives of the event were deffinitely achieved, so I'm happy!

Coaling

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah! You said it first, so now I can ask . . . what were those "overall objectives," and how did you 'definitely acheive them'? . . . Other questions: How many attended? Did your registration form indicate which atendees belonged to which club and/or game persuasion? Did any spontaneous conferences break out regarding any particular gaming issues (such as the disruption-epidemic thread over at ACWGC?

Always been the guy with the questions.

rahamy

Reaction score
I'll leave the details of the conference to be addressed with the article we are putting together :) but my goals were basically two fold. 1) Get gamers together and let them have fun learning new ways to play the games, discussing them, and just generally chatting. And 2) get as much of the "team" together as possible and build those relationships a bit more.

:cool:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the secret is out on Campaign Shiloh will you be able to post one of your really nice game descriptions at the Scenario Design Center site as you did with Gettysburg, etc. before the July 1st date? Would love to see some screenshots and see what the campaigns/scenarios might involve.

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm still digesting myself! Here is a screenshot of the campaign mode opening dialog:

And from the campaign notes:
(By Richard Walker) Campaign Shiloh began as an experiment to build a scenario based on General Ulysses S. Grant’s first battle as a commanding general, the Battle of Belmont. After completing Belmont, I quickly followed it with two more little known battles that I have a personal interest in, the battles for Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, with the latter being a defining moment in the course of the war. Having already completed these scenarios, I decided to put my initial work to good use and create Campaign Shiloh.

In terms of wargaming history, the Battle of Shiloh has always been popular. It raises the question of Could the South have turned the tide of war in the west with a decisive victory over Grant’s army camped around Pittsburg Landing in April 1862? With numerous variants and accurate historical scenarios, Campaign Shiloh will again challenge the gamer to change the course of history.

One of my ambitions with this new game, in contrast to Campaign Franklin, was my effort to introduce unique methods to play this game engine. As a result, Campaign Shiloh introduces to the gamer new ways to fight old battles. John Tiller’s programming genius has allowed me to design games that not only fight epic land battles in the conventional manner, but also introduce amphibious landings, gunboat battles, street battles, and siege warfare. You can even fight two battles at the same time!

The scope of this game is also very ambitious. Beginning with the Battle of Belmont, Campaign Shiloh includes scenarios for New Madrid (Island Number 10), Cairo, Jackson, Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Mill Springs, Shiloh, Frankfort, Nashville, Columbia, Franklin, Spring Hill and even a generic battlefield called Calf Killer Creek. Many of these maps are very large and allow for plenty of maneuver. I hope you enjoy it!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rahamy said:
1) Get gamers together and let them have fun learning new ways to play the games
I was involved in a 6 player CG game on Saturday. We had three players per side with the computers networked. The battle was the 2nd scenario for Gettysburg. The setup was so neat. I didn't know the software could do this. I was assigned Early's Corp and could move his, and only his command. As my fellow commanders moved, I coud see the troop movements and the firing while I was moving my boys. Really neat!

Unfortunately, I had to leave at 6pm so I didn't see the conclusion but great fun.

Reaction score
Corinth itself has already been released of course (the Van Dorn-Rosecrans battle.)

Bill Peters has "bridged" between Eckmuhl and Wagram, and it might be interesting to "bridge" Shiloh to Corinth... though not sure how well that would work in the long run. Hmm.

rahamy

Reaction score
Mark (Ranger),

I have nothing from Rich W. on the game like we did for Franklin, so no chance I'll have it up before the 1st...plus and trying to direct content like that here going forward...probably the first thing we will have is a review from one of the staffers here.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay Rich, just have to test my patience then. Glad to see all of this coming to one site. Be glad to write a review if you send me a copy! :laugh:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa ... check this baby out ...

(Historical, 450 turns) Brig. Gen. U.S. Grant has been given orders to proceed with his army to lay siege and capture Fort Henry. Upon completion of that mission he is to reconnoiter and when prudent, begin to march overland to capture Fort Donelson. Confederate Brig. Gen. Tilghman has a tough job ahead. He must either defend or evacuate Fort Henry and prepare Fort Donelson for the inevitable Federal attack. (This scenario is long and best played solitaire as the southern player. Federal ships that historically fought at both battle sites are designated with an (H) for Fort Henry and a (D) for Fort Donelson. They are assumed to have participated in the Fort Henry battle and then traveled along the river passages to Fort Donelson. Since this kind of travel is not possible in game terms, the same ships appear twice, but at different times. In order to maintain the integrity of the game, it will be assumed that no effort should be made to capture Fort Donelson until after Fort Henry has fallen).
450!!! turns ... I may start with something smaller. When someone is ready to try one of the historical, < 40 turn, non-Shiloh scenarios, give me a shout.