New forum themes now available

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
How do I change the Gamesquad background colors, mine are bright teal.

I did this in a previous version, but not able to do his now.

Thanks,
Rich
The admin posted in the admin area that we are stuck with this hideous palette for two weeks while they make more upgrades. The red call outs make the page look like a murder scene. But I’m trying to let it grow on me.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
another crap upgrade...........

With crap predictive that changes what you write and no way to correct it without deleting it !!!!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
another crap upgrade...........

With crap predictive that changes what you write and no way to correct it without deleting it !!!!
Where are you seeing that? I'm not experiencing it.

The color thing is annoying but I can tolerate it short-term. When a notice pops up that says someone has responded while you are typing something, there's link to show the new responses but the link color is the same as the background. If I didn't know it was there I wouldn't have moused around to find the HIP link.

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Just how does one change their color scheme to one that can be read without a black Light?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find it hard to easily distinguish threads with new posts in them. Folders are marked with the red balloons but threads are not. There's not much difference between regular teal and bold teal. And teal isn't my cup of tea.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I’d like black foreground with white or gray text with some shades of red, blue and green...

The last time I installed a dark theme there was a near riot.

That’s what I’m saying, this stuff is entirely subjective. One person loves that style and another hates it. Plus, it’s highly dependent on the kind of computer one is using to browse. On an old computer running some hideously outdated resolution, the font probably appears huge and jagged. But on a shiny new 4K monitor, it’s so tiny it’s unreadable.

With current Internet standards there’s simply no way to make a website look good across all platforms. Multiple, user-selectable themes are a workaround, but a costly one. Considering I don’t get paid to do this stuff, I’ll do what I can as I have time.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Take a look at this forum. It has undergone many, many style revsions and site overhauls over the years, but remains one of the most popular game forums on the Internet. Do you find that theme easy to read?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Take a look at this forum. It has undergone many, many style revsions and site overhauls over the years, but remains one of the most popular game forums on the Internet. Do you find that theme easy to read?

I found that site acceptable to read and view.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
One new feature is that asterisks are now considered open game for bb code replacement. A single raw asterisk surrounding a word, *foo*, is treated as italics, foo. A double raw asterisk becomes bold. While the shortcut is convenient for those who find it convenient, that means that to *actually* surround text with asterisks, you have to use the [plain] bb code, e.g. [plain]*[/plain]actually[plain]*[/plain]. It's a bit of a plain.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
For those who type raw bb codes (which I often do, as I am a relatively good touch typist), the list of available codes is here: https://xenforo.com/community/help/bb-codes/. It does not mention the replacement of "*". If anyone finds where that is documented I'd be interested in hearing about it.

JR

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
For those who type raw bb codes (which I often do, as I am a relatively good touch typist), the list of available codes is here: https://xenforo.com/community/help/bb-codes/. It does not mention the replacement of "*". If anyone finds where that is documented I'd be interested in hearing about it.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You probably mean: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/font-awesome-5-editor-button-management-markdown-support-and-more.154701/

I couldn't think of the name "markdown." Unfortunately the backslash escape (\*) in true markdown does not work in xenforo. You still end up with \italics\, and some extra backslash characters too. Since [plain] works it's only a minor annoyance.

JR

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, some of the new Xenforo stuff is good and some of it is hard to get used to.

I'm still happy with the choice we made two years ago to transition from Vbulletin to Xenforo, though. Vbulletin is what GameSquad used for years and years, but most of the developers had left after the company was bought. So the original team re-formed and created Xenforo, which was what Vbulletin 5 really should have been. Vbulletin has undergone a really strange development cycle over the last few years, and had we kept on using it here, I can only imagine how people would have complained.

The thing is, forum software is in a state of rapid and forced evolution due to the fact that social media has put most big forums out of business. People whine constantly about me changing the forums, but in actuality all I'm really doing is the bare minimum of keeping the forums updated with the latest release. The forum software is changing and evolving, because forum owners have discovered that if they fail to evolve, these websites will simply die off. In the age of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, forum-based sites are a bit of an anachronism and it takes a lot of work and dedication to keep them going, let alone get them to grow.

So that's where we're at. GameSquad must get the latest software updates because I've learned the hard way that failing to do so invites the hackers and spammers to run riot. But people whine and complain whenever there's an update, so catch 22. And as for growing the site, if it doesn't grow it can't pay for itself. And if it can't (at an absolute minimum) pay for itself, then it goes away.