New Editions of Lone Canuck's Wacht Am Rhein Packs

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saw the posting on the Lone Canuck. Was wondering what the updates/changes are from the first editions. Thanks.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What's new with Wacht am Rhein 2nd Edition, Volume 1; well it has 5-4-7/2-3-7 Volksgrenadiers, 5-4-8/2-3-8 & 4-4-7/2-3-7 Fallschirmjagers, and Bangalore torpedoes with counters added for use in the scenarios; some adjustments to scenario OB; and a few different mapboards are used, to name a few improvements.

Last edited:

mryder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What is up with the German AOT crews? I don't see any use for them in the 1st 8 scenarios. Are they for scenarios in the 2nd pack?
WAR2 V1 AOT counter.jpg

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
There were initial to be used in both WaR 2nd Vol 1 and Vol 2, but during playtesting the scenarios in Vol 1 with AOT were modified and they were deleted. Vol 2 the planning is for them to be present, but playtesting may change their inclusion.

Cheers

George

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There were initial to be used in both WaR 2nd Vol 1 and Vol 2, but during playtesting the scenarios in Vol 1 with AOT were modified and they were deleted. Vol 2 the planning is for them to be present, but playtesting may change their inclusion.

Cheers

George
Just my copy of this today, nice job. What are the "AOT" counters FO's for Arty or a HQ element?

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1.0 ARTILLERY OBSERVER TEAM (AOT): Each designated OBA Module must be assigned to an Artillery Observer Team (AOT). An AOT is comprised of a Forward Observer and Assistant, accompanied by a Radio Operator and Assistant, which are represented by a Designated 2-2-7/2-2-8 Infantry Crew. An AOT can operate only one OBA module. If an AOT is Eliminated and its OBA module is unused, the module may be reallocated to another module-less AOT of the same nationality.

1.1 CAPABILITIES: An AOT has all normal infantry-crew and Observer qualities except as stated otherwise. An AOT may possess no SW/Gun [EXC: its Inherent radio/Spotter Phone], nor may it become an Inherent vehicle crew. An AOT is considered Inexperienced Personnel [EXC: it does not lower the B# of its Inherent radio/Spotter Phone]. An AOT that sets up onboard may use HIP as if it were manning a field phone. The Casualty VP value of an AOT is “2”.

1.2 RADIO: An AOT is assumed to possess a three-PP Inherent radio (r) (thus equalling eight PP for Passenger PP purposes). The AOT may neither Transfer nor drop/share possession of that radio. If an AOT is Captured/ Eliminated, its Inherent radio is immediately eliminated. An AOT’s Inherent radio (referred to hereafter as an AOT Radio) has a Contact value of “8” and a breakdown value of “B12”. If the Radio Contact Maintenance Original DR for an AOT Radio is a 12, it Breakdowns (make a side note); however, a Repair dr of 6 (A9.72) does not eliminates the AOT Radio. If, during the Refit Phase, the AOT Radio is eliminated, the AOT is also Eliminated (VP are awarded). An AOT Radio cannot be used while the AOT is a Passenger/Rider. No Unarmed unit may be re-armed as an AOT.

voyager77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many (not all) of the original scenarios appear unbalanced on ROAR. Any work done to address this? Thx

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any updates on the release of Volume 2? I getting ready to buy Vol. 1, in time for Bulge Fest 18!

thively

Reaction score
Confused, what was the basis for the OB changes and different mapboards if not for play balance improvements?
I'll join in the confused category. George what did you mean, your reply was not clear. Hopefully you would try to improve any scenario's balance if there were enough results showing the need for adjustment.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It was in part to tweak the balance, but also to bring in squad types. From the onset I wanted 5-4-7 Volksgrenadier squads but had to used 5-4-8/4-4-7 combinations. I also want to differentiate Fallschrimjager units, so my ability to produced counters had caught up.

thively

Reaction score
What's new with Wacht am Rhein 2nd Edition, Volume 1; well it has 5-4-7/2-3-7 Volksgrenadiers, 5-4-8/2-3-8 & 4-4-7/2-3-7 Fallschirmjagers, and Bangalore torpedoes with counters added for use in the scenarios; some adjustments to scenario OB; and a few different mapboards are used, to name a few improvements.

George,
I just purchased the WAR 2nd ed scenario pack today. Do you have counter extension files for this so the new counters can be used in vasl?