New DRM explained

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yet another nail in the coffin for PC games, for me. I'm not saying I know of a better solution, but I know that my board games are MINE.

-dale

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scheme looks better than the old eLicense but at this point I wonder why bother protecting at all. It's 5 activations you can get right away. And I didn't see a strong hardware check, so binary copy also works. Unfortunately Moon decided to misunderstand my further questions and the discussion went nowhere but whatever.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really don't like limited licensing without an un-activate tool. I have two applications gathering dust because of that very issue.

btw, shouldn't they have announced this at pre-order time? I didn't see anything about it, but might have missed it.

I did notice the number of issues the new system had on TOW3.

Last edited:

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think eLicense is much better. I have never had good experiences with limited activations and no unlicense tool. Plus I think this is a custom built tool. And my experience is that small companies building their own tools is a recipe for not getting your game running.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plus I think this is a custom built tool. And my experience is that small companies building their own tools is a recipe for not getting your game running.

It isn't a tool built by BFC.

I've only had limited exposure to it so far so I couldn't speak to any long term concerns. It works fine so far is about all I can add on the subject.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am curious about what is going to happen if eLicense goes out of business? Will BFC make you patch your game tot eh new system.

Caractacus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ever since CM:SF I've never underestimated BFC's knack for picking out and fusing together the worst aspects of two different worlds.

What a ludicrous state of affairs!

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the game is successful enough we'll get a no-CD patch pretty quickly.