New Desperation Morale Blog Post

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will call you foolish, as you request. Also callous. It's not just whether you get it, it's also who you subsequently give it to. If you get it because you foolishly went to ASLOK, then subsequently give it to someone who dies as a result, will your having played a game have been worth it?

And it is literally impossible to do ASL with social distancing except with something like VASL, because it is an interactive game that requires two people to sit across from each other at very short distances for long periods of time, while touching the same objects.

This is a game. I don't think winning at The Guards Counterattack is worth risking people's lives.
Thank you for your concerns, and opinion.
You are giving out health advice. Do you live a healthy lifestyle? Getting good advice from someone who sets a bad example is always confusing. I will receive health advice from others. I will ask my Doctor before I go. I will get tested before I go. If I am positive or even have a slight cold, I will not attend. On that and that alone will be my final decision. I would hope that lessens my foolishness. I will consider everything that I can. I will then make my decision based on the doctor's advice and not from any keyboard warrior.
As mentioned before if all attendees take the appropriate measures and even a test if need be, what else can be done? By October I will be back at work. I will be in libraries again. I may even have dinner out. Someone might get the disease from me in any of these situations. I will be living my life. If I should catch this virus in October at ASLOK then I knew the risks when I walked into the game room. I trust all that attend understand and accept this as well.
Or, why don't I just await Bret's decision. If he cancels, then I obviously will not go. If he holds the event, I will go.
ASL is NEVER for me about winning or losing. Never. Couldn't care less. ASL IS about social interaction and having fun. It is a fun part of my life. Life IS about memories. That for me, IS worth the risk.

Last edited:

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your concerns, and opinion.
You are giving out health advice. Do you live a healthy lifestyle? Getting good advice from someone who sets a bad example is always confusing. I will receive health advice from others. I will ask my Doctor before I go. I will get tested before I go. If I am positive or even have a slight cold, I will not attend. On that and that alone will be my final decision. I would hope that lessens my foolishness. I will consider everything that I can. I will then make my decision based on the doctor's advice and not from any keyboard warrior.
As mentioned before if all attendees take the appropriate measures and even a test if need be, what else can be done? By October I will be back at work. I will be in libraries again. I may even have dinner out. Someone might get the disease from me in any of these situations. I will be living my life. If I should catch this virus in October at ASLOK then I knew the risks when I walked into the game room. I trust all that attend understand and accept this as well.
Or, why don't I just await Bret's decision. If he cancels, then I obviously will not go. If he holds the event, I will go.
ASL is NEVER for me about winning or losing. Never. Couldn't care less. ASL IS about social interaction and having fun. It is a fun part of my life. Life IS about memories. That for me, IS worth the risk.
I agree Brian. Looking forward to playing/playtesting with you at ASLOK again this year. I’ll leave it in Bret’s hands. If he cancels ASLOK so be it. But if he holds it I will be there (along with my semi-healthy lifestyle). Already looking forward to a socially distant visit to the Cleveland Bikram yoga studio as well??

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree Brian. Looking forward to playing/playtesting with you at ASLOK again this year. I’ll leave it in Bret’s hands. If he cancels ASLOK so be it. But if he holds it I will be there (along with my semi-healthy lifestyle). Already looking forward to a socially distant visit to the Cleveland Bikram yoga studio as well??
Yes Will, I trust you will take the necessary precautions and base your decision on these factors. I hope to see you there. Stay well!

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If players start practicing using those 32" grabbers, then we could attend and still socially distance. :)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I basically agree that caution is the way to go, and that Corona is definitively not over and will not be until either herd immunity is reached or a vaccine not only developed but actually applied comprehensively, you have to consider this:

Human life is practically impossible with social distancing.

Of course, it makes a lot of sense to cut down risks and prudently weigh the chances. Denying the existence or relevance of Corona is just bollocks.

You might catch the virus at ASLOK and you might infect someone else subsequently, and that person might actually die of the disease.

You might also catch the virus at the store when buying food, subsequently infect someone, and that person might die (be it a family member or a participant of ASLOK for example).

Risks have to be weighed. Buying food is more important than playing ASL.

But how great is the risk?
When buying food, you drive to the store without thought despite the risk of dying in a car accident while you could have your foodstuffs delivered.

I don't want to ridicule the risk of Corona. On the contrary. But actual risks have to be continually reassessed and addressed accordingly.

If rules and regulations forbid ASLOK to be held, the decision is taken from me. I'd accept it, even if I would think a regulation too tough or too lax. If regulations allow ASLOK, then I have make the personal decision on a responsible basis by carefully weighing the risks (rather than denying their existence). Naturally, risk assessment will vary from person to person.

If the chances of being infected oneself, infecting another person, and that person dying is very small, the risk might be taken. Neither complete ignorance nor absolute social distancing are the correct thing to do IMHO. The truth lies in the shades of grey in between somewhere. We have to live with it, that we cannot always precisely outline them.

von Marwitz
Just remember to keep safe and to stay off the large "X's" in the stores. I think we've all seen too many Road Runner cartoons to fall for that crap!
Toilet Paper, disinfecting wipes and anvils are in short supply

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I will not be attending ASLOK this year, even if the border is open. Part of the reason is all the people here chiming in with their total disinterest on whether they pass COVID on to me by refusing to take any precautions whatsoever. I have responsibilities to others that I won't compromise for the sake of playing a few board games.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised anyone leaves the house, doesn't exercise, eat sugar, smoke, etc.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death (US Data)
Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

All of those are things that you consciously do to your self (EXC: accidents). You can get Covid 19 because someone feels like their rights are being infringed upon. Wearing a mask is not going to kill anyone and buys a little protection until they get a vaccine.

Common sense is no longer a common virtue.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Well, 120K dead in 2 months is nothing to sneeze at, and it's worse when you consider that those numbers are with whatever lockdown has been managed, and it's even worse when the examples of New Zealand and South Korea show that they are almost entirely preventable. Preventable if people will only wear masks and stay home as much as possible.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Also, "A recent New York survey found that 66% of people with COVID-19 infection are sheltering in place."
Got any other source? That article doesn't actually reference any announcement or external source.

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just remember to keep safe and to stay off the large "X's" in the stores. I think we've all seen too many Road Runner cartoons to fall for that crap!
I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks that when I see the X’s!

Ah, Saturday morning cartoons.