New Desperation Morale Blog Post

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've posted some of my thoughts about the issues behind "re-opening" the ASL world in light of the pandemic here:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've posted some of my thoughts about the issues behind "re-opening" the ASL world in light of the pandemic here:

I respect your opinions, disagree with much of what you have expressed, and hope/plan to discuss it with you at ASLOK !

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Very well said Mark

I think we were lucky in that, here in the UK, we were able to attend HEROES in Blackpool before this really hit
if it had been scheduled for even a week later I don't think it could have gone ahead

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
When responding in this thread, please keep your comments related to ASL.

I am no longer hopeful about attending any face-to-face ASL events in 2020. Even if they occur, I probably will not take the risk.
With all respect to my dear friend Michael, I am still hopeful. Maybe pollyannish wishful. But going from 11 tournaments in 2019 to two in 2020 (Copenhagen and the previously mentioned HEROES in Blackpool) would be too much to bear.

My wife, who is an MD, has now on several occasions wished that we had gotten an early infection of Covid19 from our son (he is now OK after a brief and relatively mild sickness), so that we could have avoided this self-isolation stuff. She has a point.

(Cary, Michael and other censors: this comment is clearly ASL related, the ASL Tournament Industrial Complex is suffering what could be irreparable harm when even old geezers learn that you can participate in VASL tournaments, save on travel money and avoid drunk Swedes).

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cary, Michael and other censors: this comment is clearly ASL related, the ASL Tournament Industrial Complex is suffering what could be irreparable harm when even old geezers learn that you can participate in VASL tournaments, save on travel money and avoid drunk Swedes
A sad commentary on the current state of affairs...

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Hopefully you will use the advice of public health experts.
And which public health experts might that be?

I realize you have to be a little scandinaviaphile to understand this comment, but do you trust the Swedish or the Danish health experts? I.e. do you go to school, restaurants, bars, or don't you? Danes can travel to Sweden and back. Swedes cannot travel to Denmark, but can travel back to Sweden even through Denmark. EU has abdicated to total irrelevancy, and we do not even have a president to guide us :).

All ASL tournaments would at this time be forbidden in Denmark, but all ASL tournaments except ASLOK and Winter Offensive would be allowed in Sweden (I am so glad I put in this last sentence, as all postings on Gamesquad have to be relevant to ASL, and now this posting conforms to this rule :)).

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sweden might allow an ASL tournament, in the sense that it would not be illegal, but Sweden still advocates social distancing guidelines be followed, which an ASL tournament certainly could not meet,

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Any chance we could move ASLOK to Sweden, if necessary ?
No, only 50 people at one event, and that assumes you wash your hands each time you have touched a counter previously touched by the other person :) .

But if everybody brought a laptop and we played VASL across 2m wide tables, I see no reason whatsoever why not 50 people could participate in a mini-ASLOK.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
Sweden might allow an ASL tournament, in the sense that it would not be illegal, but Sweden still advocates social distancing guidelines be followed, which an ASL tournament certainly could not meet,
Well, kind of :) . I realize that this article is a few weeks old, but for those who do not subscribe to Scandinavian newspapers here is a good introduction:

Last edited: