New Desperation Morale Blog Post: ASL Gear and the Systainer System: An Introduction

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting insights. What could be interesting for some Europeans (where RAACO is more widespread) would be the Systainer thingies that are compatible to RAACO Assorters with the whole thing then mounted on that trolley.

Personally, Oberst von Marwitz has resorted to bringing a bookshelf to set up at tournaments which nicely fits three RAACO Handy Boxes, a number of folders in which he keeps is geo-boards, the ASLRB and some other stuff. This solution avoids the problems with scarce table space and spreads an aura of eccentricity - especially if paired with that carpet laid out beneath the gaming table.

That said, does Systainer offer specialized receptacle containers for monocles?

von Marwitz
I did think the spotlight that automatically centers on your tweezers as you pull the counters from the tray was a bit overboard, but it was a nice touch!?

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dangerous only if you stack them too high.

Granted there is a danger that your fancy schmancy storage system could become Exhibit A in future divorce proceedings.
As if ANY part of ASL wouldn't already be exhibits B - G, O, P, Z, etc., etc.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
On the downside, the steamer trunk that Mark used to have is retired.

JR
I think Jeff DeYoung bought it and is indeed still using it.

Peace

Roger

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

There's nothing like a great steamer trunk ...

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counters are in Planos? How are the Planos transported in this system?. Photos would be great.

Thank you.

No, he means that the Systainer system also holds everything else. Though Planos will fit into Systainers. But just stacked in to carry. Pictures show them in vertically though they can be stacked flat.

For ASL I use regular black counter trays and transport the trays in drawer systainers. I haven't switched to Raaco because I have a counter tray cabinet and just transfer trays to drawers for tournaments. The Raaco in a Racksys would be really good though.

Seth

Attachments

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Counters are in Planos? How are the Planos transported in this system?. Photos would be great.

Thank you.
Open bin. Put Plano in bin. Close bin.

Or better yet:

Remove counters from Planos. Throw away Planos. Put counters in RAACOs. Put RAACOs in Systainer container designed for them.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Remove counters from Planos. Throw away Planos. Put counters in RAACOs. Put RAACOs in Systainer container designed for them.
Shouldn't there be a "win lottery and become independently wealthy" step in there somewhere? Because I'm not sure how any of this is possible otherwise.

Next up: "solve the counter-splitting problem by replacing all of that cardboard with engraved titanium".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Shouldn't there be a "win lottery and become independently wealthy" step in there somewhere? Because I'm not sure how any of this is possible otherwise.
Come on, Bruce. Scarlett Johansson gave you her private number. Ring her up and make the magic happen. Dependently wealthy is just as good as independently wealthy.

JR

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Next up: "solve the counter-splitting problem by replacing all of that cardboard with engraved titanium".
While this might yet seem a project of the future, two years ago at the games fair "Spiel" in Essen, Germany, they had dice made of Tungsten up for grabs for mere USD 500 or some such.

Checked on that - yep. Here they are:

von Marwitz

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So the Systainers I brought to ASLOK cost a total of $490. If I had brought my RAACO's in a Racktainer, which I did not, that would have been $220 more.

That's still less than the hotel cost for attending a single ASLOK.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
While it sounds a little steep, if you go to a number of tournaments a year it does pay for itself. The value of a transport/distribution system (whatever it is that you use) is based on how easy is it to transport and how quickly can I get my stuff out to play. This is compact with built in dolly system so that is a huge plus over those traveling with teetering piles of Rubbermaid tubs. Mark states his travel counter cases fit in this storage system so another plus for quick access during play. So it has high value for transport and play. Lugging piles of crap into a tourney is no fun so keep that in mind when you are commenting on this system. I personally use a footlocker with built in wheels which makes it easier to move but a telescope handle would go a long way in making it better. But it was $60. I’ve gone through a number of travel systems and this works the best so far for me but is based on Marks model 1 travel system! Maybe one day I will upgrade but not sure my counter system will fit.

So the Systainers I brought to ASLOK cost a total of $490. If I had brought my RAACO's in a Racktainer, which I did not, that would have been $220 more.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

This is true.

However, add to that around 12 RAACO Assorters @ $25.00 and 192 inserts of the A75/A78 type or similar @ (a liberal) $1.00 you need to add roughly another $500.00.

So the cost of your storage solution alone would likely exceed $1200.00.

It is quite steep and will only work for those who are rather well off.

On the other hand, it will likely be only the ones rather well off that will ever really benefit from the Systainer system. Only the ones well off can afford paying travel and hotel costs for attending various tournaments. And unless you attend various tournaments, there's no great need for a trolley. Without a trolley, you are probably well served with a 'mere' RAACO or even Plano solution.

For $1200 one might also consider to have some teak-wood furniture custom-made for the purpose somewhere in Indonesia.

Anyway, what would we ASLers be without all sorts of 'optimized' kit? :)

von Marwitz