New Desperation Morale Blog Post: ASL Gear and the Systainer System: An Introduction

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLers might be interested in a new blog post on Desperation Morale introducing the Systainer system as a possible way to store your ASL gear for travel or even for home use. I am using it now and like it a lot.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Interesting system. I like the one that is compatible to RAACO Assorters. At first glance, the price of this system seems pretty steep, alas.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
On the downside, the steamer trunk that Mark used to have is retired.

JR

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I have used Systainers to take my stuff to tourneys for years. I have a lot of Festool equipment and have also put many of my other tools in them. I have also posted tons of info on Systainers and quite a few customized ones (for tools).

A few things to note ---

There is also a lid that is interchangeable that has storage compartments in the top. Commonly called an attic lid.

In the Classic drawer Sys. The small (narrow) and medium drawers are modular and can be rearranged to suit. Two small fit in the space of one medium. And all are easily removable if you want to place a drawer on the table for tray use.

The Maxi Sys. Doesn't work as well system wise. Two other Sys can stack on it but the lids face in. So you can't open them without removing them. It also doesn't fit well with any of the other stuff.

Be careful about the color names. The anthracite is a very dark charcoal gray, but there is also actual black available. So be careful about calling the anthracite "black" if you are buying things to match.

You can't order non-Festool branded Systainer from Festool even though they are part of the same overall company. Anything not branded Festool will need to come from a retailer that carries Tanos and or Festool.

You can find info on Festool Owners Group (forum operated by Festool. On which I am a moderator). And also talkFestool.com (another forum, that I used to moderate). There are dedicated Systainer boards on both. Even though you won't find ASL info there , you will find a lot on Systainers in general.

Seth

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, I have used Systainers to take my stuff to tourneys for years. I have a lot of Festool equipment and have also put many of my other tools in them. I have also posted tons of info on Systainers and quite a few customized ones (for tools).

A few things to note ---

There is also a lid that is interchangeable that has storage compartments in the top. Commonly called an attic lid.

In the Classic drawer Sys. The small (narrow) and medium drawers are modular and can be rearranged to suit. Two small fit in the space of one medium. And all are easily removable if you want to place a drawer on the table for tray use.

The Maxi Sys. Doesn't work as well system wise. Two other Sys can stack on it but the lids face in. So you can't open them without removing them. It also doesn't fit well with any of the other stuff.

Be careful about the color names. The anthracite is a very dark charcoal gray, but there is also actual black available. So be careful about calling the anthracite "black" if you are buying things to match.

You can't order non-Festool branded Systainer from Festool even though they are part of the same overall company. Anything not branded Festool will need to come from a retailer that carries Tanos and or Festool.

You can find info on Festool Owners Group (forum operated by Festool. On which I am a moderator). And also talkFestool.com (another forum, that I used to moderate). There are dedicated Systainer boards on both. Even though you won't find ASL info there , you will find a lot on Systainers in general.

Seth
Interesting insights. What could be interesting for some Europeans (where RAACO is more widespread) would be the Systainer thingies that are compatible to RAACO Assorters with the whole thing then mounted on that trolley.

Personally, Oberst von Marwitz has resorted to bringing a bookshelf to set up at tournaments which nicely fits three RAACO Handy Boxes, a number of folders in which he keeps is geo-boards, the ASLRB and some other stuff. This solution avoids the problems with scarce table space and spreads an aura of eccentricity - especially if paired with that carpet laid out beneath the gaming table.

That said, does Systainer offer specialized receptacle containers for monocles?

von Marwitz

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting insights. What could be interesting for some Europeans (where RAACO is more widespread) would be the Systainer thingies that are compatible to RAACO Assorters with the whole thing then mounted on that trolley.

Personally, Oberst von Marwitz has resorted to bringing a bookshelf to set up at tournaments which nicely fits three RAACO Handy Boxes, a number of folders in which he keeps is geo-boards, the ASLRB and some other stuff. This solution avoids the problems with scarce table space and spreads an aura of eccentricity - especially if paired with that carpet laid out beneath the gaming table.

von Marwitz
where does the helmet with the spike on top go?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
ASLers might be interested in a new blog post on Desperation Morale introducing the Systainer system as a possible way to store your ASL gear for travel or even for home use. I am using it now and like it a lot.

I naturally recommend this system highly. :)

Like Seth (see below), I have found it to be very flexible for storing all manner of ASL gear. But my first attraction to the system was that Tanos (the makers of Systainer) had created a (licensed) custom rack for holding RAACO. It was a no-brainer after that.

FWIW, the "Racktainers" that hold (Assorter 55) RAACO cases are/were available in Canada from a least two retailers. Mine were purchased from a tool company in Winnipeg. However, Lee Valley Tools (in Ontario) also carries the Systainer line. (I'll try to add a link to these later today.)

Edit: Links added. Note that it appears that the Racktainer ($279 CAD) only available from Lee Valley.

Last edited:

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz

Yes, that is another pro. Set it up right and very little needs to on the table. Plus it creates a handy side table next to your chair.

Seth