New computer??

Jgolch

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy a new system and I was wondering what is the best monitor size and type that would work best on the latest version of VASSAL/VASL. I'm going to by a desktop. I'm asking because I thought I read somewhere that the newest versions of VASSAL/VASL were designed with certain types of monitors in mind.

CaptCaveman

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I would say "as much monitor as you can fit on your desktop." Another option is to buy two smaller monitors -- I find it very handy to keep just the game map (with dice over map) on one monitor and log window, charts, electronic rulebook, etc. on the other one.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I prefer two 32" monitors using the same vertical resolution. My work preference for curved monitors does throw the LOS off a tad.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Personally I’d go with a 27 inch iMac and an extra 27 inch HDMI monitor, my total setup cost $3600 but is totally rock solid (1 TB SSD, 40 GB RAM, and 6 CPU’s). I also use VMWare and created a Windows 10 virtual machine with 3 CPUs, 16GB and a 500 GB HDD to run all my PC wargames on.

Best of both worlds and way more secure. IMO

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Educate me ... the need for 3 or 6 CPUs. What is it that requires that much horsepower. I went way overboard and got an I9 processor, thinking that was overkill.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Educate me ... the need for 3 or 6 CPUs. What is it that requires that much horsepower. I went way overboard and got an I9 processor, thinking that was overkill.
You need none of that for running VASSAL/VASL properly. I am using an old i5 CPU without issue. To enjoy VASL, there's no need for much CPU power or RAM. Big screens make the difference.

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Right on all that I needed the CPU power for three thing: 1. Running the macOS, 2. Running a Windows VM on my Mac so can play Windows war games and 3. For my home recording studio (Logic Pro X) so I can record bass, keyboard and guitar tracts.

CaptCaveman

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Right on all that I needed the CPU power for three thing: 1. Running the macOS, 2. Running a Windows VM on my Mac so can play Windows war games and 3. For my home recording studio (Logic Pro X) so I can record bass, keyboard and guitar tracts.
A sh*t-ton of memory on a Mac helps too! 😆

gusi

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I use a 43" 4k monitor.
It is not gaming speed so action games might shadow a bit... but i don't play any of those.
It is relatively cheap.
At that size you can scale in and out really well.
Even the pdf rule book is very readable.

zcrater

Reaction score
First name
Zeke
Country
llUnited States
I do not believe VASL / VASSAL are designed for a specific kind / size of monitor.

For VASL I personally find that a 32 inch 3860 x 2160 resolution monitor (often called 4k) allows me to fit the entire map on the monitor zoomed in sufficiently for comfortable viewing. I also have a second monitor that I use for the VASL control window, scenario card, and rulebook.

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got a huge HDMI capable TV from someone moving or upgrading and use that for the maps. Computationally intense VASL does not seem to be. The big screen is a huge help to be able to zoom in and still see everything in most scenarios.