New BFP Customer, Blood and Jungle

Bartleby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I recently received Blood and Jungle, my first BFP product, and I am super impressed. I love the counters, articles, and maps. I have never fully embraced the PTO and this has got me excited to dive in.

From the quality alone of this product I know I will be buying more BFP items.

I really appreciate how the first couple of scenarios use Japanese and Chinese, but do not use PTO terrain. It is a great way to break into the Theatre.

I have lined up to solo play BFP 27 Chapei Chockblock, and even before making one move it looks like one of the coolest scenarios I have ever seen. So many forces fighting in such a small map is always fun. Throw in the Japanese step system and I cannot wait to see what happens.

One assumption - I have never played on a map with such large multi-hex buildings without staircases. I guess these are 1 1/2 obstacles with each hex having an inherent staircase? Or have I missed something?

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I totally agree!:thumbsup: Given their size, scope, and quality, it's hard to beat a BFP product! I'd encourage you to get Poland in Flames as well - a similarly huge module, with even more supplementals. This was the package hooked me, so now I own them all (enslaving me to my counter clipper for years to come...:waiting:).

Regarding your question, buildings like DW1a-W6 and -Y4 are, indeed, "two-story houses" as per B23.22. One curiosity about these boards is the many hexes stuffed with little wooden buildings. Naturally these would be huts in a PTO scenario, but in BFP27 are treated as regular wooden buildings (...perhaps come fool might interpret these as lumberyards!o_O). These buildings (like DW1a-BB8, -CC4 and DW1b-Z12 and -AA12) can cause a lot trouble with bypass as the rules are clear that Infantry bypass is not allowed whenever the bypassed obstacle touches the hexside itself.

A4.3 BYPASS: Bypass enables unbroken Infantry to move through a building/woods hex without entering the obstacle in that hex (and consequently having to pay the two MF cost of actually entering a building or woods), whenever that obstacle does not physically touch the hexside being Bypassed.​

In effect, these are similar to other BFP hexes where a small building straddles two hexes (also prohibiting bypass).

Bartleby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks Binchois. I think Poland in Flames looks fantastic. I was actually trying to decide which one to get when I chose Blood and Jungle. Honestly, it was so good I think I will go back and order the other now.

I appreciate the confirmation on the boards, and yes, the huts should not be huts as BFP 27 as there is no PTO.

On the bypass - I will check when I get home, but I recall an SSR on BFP27 that allows Bypass even if there is not a width of the counter. I am not sure how it is worded and whether or not it allows for buldings touching hexsides.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
On the bypass - I will check when I get home, but I recall an SSR on BFP27 that allows Bypass even if there is not a width of the counter. I am not sure how it is worded and whether or not it allows for buldings touching hexsides.
Yeah... I ran into the bypass question when I tried this scenario. SSR3 states:

"Bypass Movement is always possible on an otherwise allowable open hexside regardless of the distance between the terrain and the hexside."

That allows units to bypass so long as any open ground is visible between the obstacle and the hexside (and regardless of "counter width" for vehicles). It does not allow either infantry or vehicles to bypass when the obstacle touches the hexside. This was clarified in a Q & A issued by BFP:

Q. In BFP27 Chapei Roadblock regarding SBR 4 [sic.], if the distance is 0, i.e., the terrain touches the hexside with no space at all between, is the hexside bypass allowable or not?​
A. The SBR speaks to D2.3 and means no measuring the distance is required. The SBR does not override the basic requirement of bypass in A4.3 which says, "Bypass enables unbroken Infantry to move through a building/woods hex without entering the obstacle in that hex, whenever that obstacle does not physically touch the hexside being Bypassed." If the obstacle touches the hexside, it would not be an allowable hexside for bypass and so SBR 4 [sic.] could not apply.​

I hope you enjoy the scenario!