New Banzai available for free download

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I really enjoyed the "What's Your Favorite AFV In ASL" article. For me, the most fun to play with is the British AVRE; that thing is like a clown-car full of neat surprises. For a particular time, theater, and known enemy attributes opposing me, I like the French B1-bis. With what the then-Germans can field against it, the only solution to defeating it is usually having a -1 leader & squad sack up and go after it. The 37L DI gambit is a distant option, although stopping the monster in many cases is just as good as eliminating it.

Also, got the chance to play FTF against John Garlic at the one West Texas Shootout I have attended. Great opponent (who beat me [Hey, it was actually close!]) that taught me one very interesting ASL tactic that really changed 'my game' thereafter. I had a squad trying to turn his flank which he only had protected with one squad and an 8-0. He announced the squad would Prep Fire against my squad (in brush), but the leader would not be participating. With those three units out on a remote flank with noone else around, I just couldn't figure out why the heck he called it like that. Didn't he at least want Cowering protection by the leader? Well, that Prep shot broke my squad and in the MPh the 8-0 ran out and positioned himself in the hex behind me. With NQ in effect, that FTR instantly eliminated his flank pest. I knew all about cutting rout paths and whatnot, but the order of execution with the units on hand was like a revelation at the time.

The funniest part about my game against John was that the entire time we played he was punching a copy of AoO (IIRC, maybe DB, they were green) and trimming the corners with a nail clipper. It reminded me of your grandmother doing her knitting while playing cards with you, occasionally looking up to see what your play was. This did not slow play at all. One of my more memorable opponents.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Also, got the chance to play FTF against John Garlic at the one West Texas Shootout I have attended. Great opponent (who beat me [Hey, it was actually close!]) that taught me one very interesting ASL tactic that really changed 'my game' thereafter. I had a squad trying to turn his flank which he only had protected with one squad and an 8-0. He announced the squad would Prep Fire against my squad (in brush), but the leader would not be participating. With those three units out on a remote flank with noone else around, I just couldn't figure out why the heck he called it like that. Didn't he at least want Cowering protection by the leader? Well, that Prep shot broke my squad and in the MPh the 8-0 ran out and positioned himself in the hex behind me. With NQ in effect, that FTR instantly eliminated his flank pest. I knew all about cutting rout paths and whatnot, but the order of execution with the units on hand was like a revelation at the time.
Well played.

Another reason not to include the 8-0 could be to retain its Concealment (if not in the described case). Still Concealed, it will be much harder to harm by the opposing single squad, thus significantly increasing the chances to have an unbroken Leader at hand for immediate Rally purposes should your single squad break due to enemy fire.

von Marwitz