New ASLSK map ideas (And your ASLSK favorite map)

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Just posting to see what people would like for new ASLSK maps in future products. Just some ideas in no particular order of preference. (more boards are always good)

I would like to see at least one if not two "urban/city" boards. Currently board z is the only
true urban/city board in the ASLSK collection.

In addition to the above I would really like an ASLSK map(s) with a hill for it's entire length.(Or at least 3/4 of the board)

I would also like to have a few boards with a number of small village like hamlets spread out on them or on one half of the board. Allot of the ASLSK maps have more than functional villages on them, but these are not the 2 to 4 clustered building hamlets.

Finally, my favorite ASLSK map is map p. Just a neat village on one half of the map, which can be used to represent a number of locations in Europe.

Any "out of the box" ideas from people?

Regards
Joe

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
An "out of the box" idea for you would be to buy any of the existing 75+ ASL boards as a part (at US$ 5 each) or map pack (at better prices) from MMP that only feature SK-terrain types. I don't know how many of these use SK-terrain only, but it will likely be a good number. They are available on the MMP website.

von Marwitz

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An "out of the box" idea for you would be to buy any of the existing 75+ ASL boards as a part (at US$ 5 each) or map pack (at better prices) from MMP that only feature SK-terrain types. I don't know how many of these use SK-terrain only, but it will likely be a good number. They are available on the MMP website.

von Marwitz

Thank you Captain Obvious!

This thread was not about the current boards, just a fun thread about what people might like to see for future boards.

I am not surprised at your trolling. You do this for every ASLSK thread. You don't like ASLSK don't play, but don't tell others what to play and what to buy.

For everyone else please post as you wish and ignore Captain obvious.

Thanks!
Joe

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hum? What is your problem?

I can see no difference between an ASL board and ASLSK board except that one is numbered and the other lettered - as long as the former uses ASLSK terrain types. And I do not believe that everyone is aware that the maps are available separately as parts from MMP. As such, my remark may be of value to these people that might want to enrich their SK environment with extra maps already available which they might think are yet unpublished terrain variations.

Exceptionally well informed as you are, aware of that fact and even meaning to know that I would not like ASLSK, would not play the game etc. pp. this might not be of value to you. By all means, please put me on your ignore-list to protect yourself from my perceived intrusions. As a side-effect this might spare me inappropriate slanderous remarks as in your previous post and thus could be a win-win for both of us. And I believe I can look quite placidly at others to form their own view of myself in this forum.

von Marwitz

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ThankCaptian obvious
Hum? What is your problem?

I can see no difference between an ASL board and ASLSK board except that one is numbered and the other lettered - as long as the former uses ASLSK terrain types. And I do not believe that everyone is aware that the maps are available separately as parts from MMP. As such, my remark may be of value to these people that might want to enrich their SK environment with extra maps already available which they might think are yet unpublished terrain variations.

Exceptionally well informed as you are, aware of that fact and even meaning to know that I would not like ASLSK, would not play the game etc. pp. this might not be of value to you. By all means, please put me on your ignore-list to protect yourself from my perceived intrusions. As a side-effect this might spare me inappropriate slanderous remarks as in your previous post and thus could be a win-win for both of us. And I believe I can look quite placidly at others to form their own view of myself in this forum.

von Marwitz
Von Marwitz

We can argue all day, I wish not to. I will extend the olive branch.

To me your post seemed very rude, I saw nothing in the post that was
informative to people about getting maps from MMP. If this was your intent, I stand corrected and offer
an apology.

I will not put you on ignore and I hope you will not put me on ignore. I hope we can respect each others opinions/comments
enough not to ignore each other. (Simply way to much of that happening now and not just on these forums!!)

I am long time ASL player I have come to really enjoy ASLSK, Perhaps you do or don't? What ever it is that is your choice
and I am perfectly fine with that!

I know we will both continue to post in the ASLSK forum (even disagreeing on things from time to time) and hopefully generate interest and ideas about ASLSK.

Respectfully,
Joe

PS

My original post still stands, I would love to hear any ideas for new maps in ASLSK series. :)

Last edited:

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
You might like the new PTO boards.

As a generalization, the SK boards are more open with more simplified terrain. This makes it easier with LOS and overall maneuvering as relates to rules while playing. So more than the difference between a number and a letter.

Gentlemen

Just posting to see what people would like for new ASLSK maps in future products. Just some ideas in no particular order of preference. (more boards are always good)

I would like to see at least one if not two "urban/city" boards. Currently board z is the only
true urban/city board in the ASLSK collection.

In addition to the above I would really like an ASLSK map(s) with a hill for it's entire length.(Or at least 3/4 of the board)

I would also like to have a few boards with a number of small village like hamlets spread out on them or on one half of the board. Allot of the ASLSK maps have more than functional villages on them, but these are not the 2 to 4 clustered building hamlets.

Finally, my favorite ASLSK map is map p. Just a neat village on one half of the map, which can be used to represent a number of locations in Europe.

Any "out of the box" ideas from people?

Regards
Joe

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah, I like Board R but I doesn't get used a lot. Board z is a lot like Board 1. After used for a bunch of scenarios, you really want a new board to play on! SK could use a lg hill board to round out the system but limited to level one makes it look like a panzer blitz map. A series of hills would work better. I have a draft scenario someplace converting grain on Board t to hills. Seems to work fine (particularly as it is winter).

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh yeah, I like Board R but I doesn't get used a lot. Board z is a lot like Board 1. After used for a bunch of scenarios, you really want a new board to play on! SK could use a lg hill board to round out the system but limited to level one makes it look like a panzer blitz map. A series of hills would work better. I have a draft scenario someplace converting grain on Board t to hills. Seems to work fine (particularly as it is winter).
Interesting!! Seems simple enough to change some of the original ASLSK boards by substituting hills for Grain for example?
Overlays maybe better??? Overlays are a whole new kettle of fish!! I will concur on board Z and need for a few more varied hill boards.
regards
Joe

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any pics of the new PTO boards anywhere? These forums. consim world, etc?

Thanks!
Joe

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Von Marwitz

We can argue all day, I wish not to. I will extend the olive branch.

To me your post seemed very rude, I saw nothing in the post that was
informative to people about getting maps from MMP. If this was your intent, I stand corrected and offer
an apology.

I will not put you on ignore and I hope you will not put me on ignore. I hope we can respect each others opinions/comments
enough not to ignore each other. (Simply way to much of that happening now and not just on these forums!!)
Very well. I appreciate this. Indeed it was not my intention to appear rude. Respect for each other is the foundation of forum discussions and so it shall be.

von Marwitz

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

As a generalization, the SK boards are more open with more simplified terrain. This makes it easier with LOS and overall maneuvering as relates to rules while playing. So more than the difference between a number and a letter.
This is a really good point, it makes checking LOS quicker and you generally don't have very many surprises with them. I like the other boards, but some really grind away at the clock when checking for possible LOS at times. I hope the PTO SK has a beach board, or two. :)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about an urban-transition board akin to board 49.

Board 49.png

And while you're at it, add some crag and lumberyards to the next ASLSK release. The rules overhead is minimal, and these terrain types will introduce some new tactical problems (and opportunities) for players.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

ASLSK boards to date are also sans a lot of terrain types, for example walls/hedges, streams/gullies, marsh, cliffs, crag, and bridges, to name but a few. While they do seem more open for fire, the absence of bypass in ASLSK makes them in some sense less open for movement when playing ASLSK rules.

JR

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I tried looking for the playtest pictures from the WBC last year but no luck. I worked a little on the module but not my place to share anything here.

Any pics of the new PTO boards anywhere? These forums. consim world, etc?

Thanks!
Joe

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASLSK boards to date are also sans a lot of terrain types, for example walls/hedges, streams/gullies, marsh, cliffs, crag, and bridges, to name but a few. While they do seem more open for fire, the absence of bypass in ASLSK makes them in some sense less open for movement when playing ASLSK rules.
That seems to have been an interesting choice, to not put Walls and Hedges into ASLSK. I assume it was to avoid the pain of Wall Advantage. I wonder what would happen if they'd just kept those in, but avoided WA entirely by saying "everybody gets the TEM". Hell, I wonder how many standard-ASL gamers would prefer it that way. WA seems to be one of the lower bang-per-buck chunks of rules in the game, IMO.

Wall/Hedge LOS isn't a picnic for some folks, either, I suppose.

Wonder if that'd be an interesting way to bridge ASLSK-to-ASL - put out scenario packs where you gradually introduce more-complicated terrain. Perhaps with new boards because who doesn't like new boards, but one could probably find existing boards (and maybe even existing scenarios?) to fit the bill.
ASLSK4 - <Kronk voice>"There's a Wall There" </Kronk voice> - introduces Walls and Hedges
ASLSK5 - Thelma & Louise - cliffs and crags
ASLSK6 - Cracks In The Earth, Some Wet - streams and gullies

Yassir, I can see it now.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You mean like this?

As Joe noted in his original post, board p is a fave of his (and mine). IMO, it is one of the more interesting ASLSK boards.

However, if you peruse the rules for ASLSK hedges, you will find some interesting departures from the WA rules in ASL--some good, some not so much.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
That seems to have been an interesting choice, to not put Walls and Hedges into ASLSK. I assume it was to avoid the pain of Wall Advantage. I wonder what would happen if they'd just kept those in, but avoided WA entirely by saying "everybody gets the TEM". Hell, I wonder how many standard-ASL gamers would prefer it that way. WA seems to be one of the lower bang-per-buck chunks of rules in the game, IMO.
There were hedge rules for ASLSK included in the Bonus Pack (Beyond the Beaches). Available for download here: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=MCEwEmqF0hU=&tabid=108

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about an urban-transition board akin to board 49.

View attachment 2087

And while you're at it, add some crag and lumberyards to the next ASLSK release. The rules overhead is minimal, and these terrain types will introduce some new tactical problems (and opportunities) for players.
Chris

This would be nice! Lumber yards are just wooden buildings for all intent and purpose. Take away the gully and walls and this is a solid ASKSL board!!

Thanks
Joe

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I tried looking for the playtest pictures from the WBC last year but no luck. I worked a little on the module but not my place to share anything here.
I understand, we will see them soon enough. thanks!!