New ASL Publication Announcement

paulkenny

Reaction score
I am sure Portal is wrong. Many ASL players--perhaps the majority--are casual ASL players unaware of the "ASL community" and even unaware that TPPs exist. They often are surprised to discover that a new official ASL product has been released, to say nothing of their knowledge of unofficial ones. I was one of these people myself at one point, before I began taking melange, and continually run into these folks thanks to my website.

taking melange? is that some weight loss supplement?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Prove me wrong, gentlemen. All I can say is that I've never a met an ASL player in recent time who hasn't heard of Schwerpunkt or Critical Hit, and even fewer who would outright refuse to play a SP scenario because it's not "Official". And this is even among players who admit they don't get to play that much.
Proving you wrong is easy. I gratuitiously assert that purple elephants are generally larger than the more common gray ones. When you take the cube root of the difference in their weights, multiply that by the toss of a DR (no DRM's on any Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, or alternate Saturdays, otherwise add a -1 DR in honor of the Bridge TEM past) and finally multiply that by PI, you clearly arrive at a figure of roughly %28.67 +/- %.03. As you can see, my gratuitous assertion is loads more mathematically sound than your gratuitous SWAG (and has a smaller margin of error to boot), ergo, I am right and you are wrong. QED (and all that other mathematical nonsense which says I just completed a proof) -- jim

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For Dorosh's benefit, I would say 30-40 over the last 3 years or so. Not one hadn't heard of Schwerpunkt. Many of them claimed they didn't have time to play as often as they would like.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
For Dorosh's benefit, I would say 30-40 over the last 3 years or so. Not one hadn't heard of Schwerpunkt. Many of them claimed they didn't have time to play as often as they would like.
And this is because you met them at a tournament, yes? Where the "hardcore" ASL players congregate? Again, you're talking about a skewed population.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That, and the nice guys active in the Winnipeg ASL Club.

I'm just not that convinced there are a heap of Official-only guys sitting in their basements fiddling with a tub of counters all by themselves, with no VASL allowed. ASL isn't a casual game. I don't believe it has many casual players.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That, and the nice guys active in the Winnipeg ASL Club.

I'm just not that convinced there are a heap of Official-only guys sitting in their basements fiddling with a tub of counters all by themselves, with no VASL allowed. ASL isn't a casual game. I don't believe it has many casual players.
Are you kidding? You probably scared at least 3 dozen of them into their basements all by yourself! :p

No, I'm equally powerless to "prove" my case, so I won't belabour it. You make a decent enough point about the significant investments one puts into ASL. But I've had significant stretches measuring in years where I never cracked the rulebook, picked up a counter, or played on VASL but kept buying all the modules anyway. I don't imagine I would have run out to buy a scenario designer's handbook in that state, so perhaps that is irrelevant...

I may be redefining "casual" come to think of it. :D

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What does VASL have to do with playing "Official" only? They are not mutually exclusive.

Question, how many ASL players do you know personally enough to know what they play? Considering your obsessive anti-MMP posture I suspect any player who knows you would know better than to be an "Official" only player...at least where you could hear it anyway.

IOW, I doubt your tadpole pool is a big enough cross section of all ASL players for what you "believe" to have any merit at all.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prove me wrong, gentlemen.
Why do we have to prove anything? We aren't the ones making wild-a$$ assertions.

You say there are only a very few (if any) "Official Only" players. Prove it...

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Neither side can prove their case. The empirical data has not been gathered. Perhaps MMP has something based on previous AH sales, etc., but frankly... who cares?

FWIW, I have encountered 2 "Official Only" players this year of players that I have met. One of those had sampled TPP, found them wanting, and decided to forgoe them for years. But just recently, he PM'd me and decided he was opening the door again to buy/play TPP.

None of the players that I play against regularly, as well as none of the players that I know of in the greater Detroit area... except for Mr. Bebakken... and that would be only knowing from the Internet... are "Official Only".

I'm sure there are a few solo players or SK newbs out there that fit the bill...

IMHO the vast majority of those that are "official only" won't stay that way once they get exposed to the TPP stuff a little.

JT

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul, melange is a spice that has a number of incredible properties, including prolonging life. However, it is somewhat addictive and it turns your eyes blue.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Paul, melange is a spice that has a number of incredible properties, including prolonging life. However, it is somewhat addictive and it turns your eyes blue.

It grants the gift of prescience to some. Which is why I knew Mark was going to say that.

(Coincidentally) I'm just reading God Emperor at the moment. And the new Audio books of the original trilogy are tremendous.