New ASL Journal announces Twilight of the Reich

criticalhit

Reaction score
Received AP 14 in the mail today and on the rear cover is a promo for Twilight of the Reich. What can anyone tell me about it? Date? scenarios? etc
I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION BASED ON MR PERRY'S ANNOUNCEMENT OF THIS HASL FUTURE OFFERING THAT IT WOULD BE EXCLUSIVELY INVOLVING APRIL 1945 BATTLE OF BERLIN TYPE SENARIOS WITHIN BERLIN. HOWEVER, AFTER READING THE DESCRIPTION IN ASL JOURNAL 14 IM THINKING THAT ITS BROADER IN SCOPE AND WILL INCLUDE SCENARIOS INVOLVING THOSE ACTION OUTSIDE BERLIN AND LEADINNG TO THE PUSH TO BERLIN AND ACTION LEADING UP TO AND INCLUING BERLIN BUT NOT SOLEY BERLIN BASED SCENARIOS. YOUR THOUGHTS?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION BASED ON MR PERRY'S ANNOUNCEMENT OF THIS HASL FUTURE OFFERING THAT IT WOULD BE EXCLUSIVELY INVOLVING APRIL 1945 BATTLE OF BERLIN TYPE SENARIOS WITHIN BERLIN. HOWEVER, AFTER READING THE DESCRIPTION IN ASL JOURNAL 14 IM THINKING THAT ITS BROADER IN SCOPE AND WILL INCLUDE SCENARIOS INVOLVING THOSE ACTION OUTSIDE BERLIN AND LEADINNG TO THE PUSH TO BERLIN AND ACTION LEADING UP TO AND INCLUING BERLIN BUT NOT SOLEY BERLIN BASED SCENARIOS. YOUR THOUGHTS?
Your Caps Lock key is stuck, I think.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Reminds me of the ole days.... "Find Scott" :)

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the game module is using standard mapboards or the a/b mapboards, it is a scenario pack.
If the game module uses mapsheets, it can be considered a HASL.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Some like Operation Watchtower and Operation Variable use both.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not interested in another blasted moonscape with the Marines out in the open, trying to use shell holes and crags for cover as the Japanese send holy hell on them from HIP caves and pillboxes. I'm much more interested in the jungle campaigns in Papua New Guinea, Burma and both Philippines campaigns, where at least there is some room for maneuver without being shot to pieces. The Japanese are much more fun when not sitting in a static defensive position, on the attack, when they still have good troops, is as much fun as combined arms on the Russian Front. I love much of the PTO theater (44-45 is awful for the Japanese for the most part) but not all of it. Massive firepower in a bug hunt is not my idea of ASL at its best. But to each his own, I understand why we still need to bring ALL actions of interest to ASL life.
I haven't played PTO yet but you certainly make it sound attractive Vic ;) The Manilla HASL sounded pretty good I reckon, that seemed to be a way into PTO without having to worry about dealing with actual PTO terrain too much

I guess I'll get into it one day, the Japanese do sound like they would be fun to play

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've seen and playtested a few of these s entries. They were not SSR heavy but several did use a fair number of overlays. As these were used to depict a railyard and station, they were not onerous nor unnecessary.
I've never been keen on the hip leaders and SW asi find it makes live play that but harder but works really well in vasl. I feel there is a tendency to move towards that as so much plastering is done via vasl.
I believe the theme of this pack is city fights so will trend toward late war east front as this is where most occurred.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I haven't played PTO yet but you certainly make it sound attractive Vic ;) The Manilla HASL sounded pretty good I reckon, that seemed to be a way into PTO without having to worry about dealing with actual PTO terrain too much

I guess I'll get into it one day, the Japanese do sound like they would be fun to play
You need to try them. It is a whole new ASL experience. Use european tactics and you will, rightly, suffer.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've seen and playtested a few of these s entries. They were not SSR heavy but several did use a fair number of overlays. As these were used to depict a railyard and station, they were not onerous nor unnecessary.
I've never been keen on the hip leaders and SW asi find it makes live play that but harder but works really well in vasl. I feel there is a tendency to move towards that as so much plastering is done via vasl.
I believe the theme of this pack is city fights so will trend toward late war east front as this is where most occurred.
I didn't know that you had playtested some of those Martin, that's pretty cool
Do you think there will be any Late War Western Front actions in this pack, with the Americans or the British?
That would be pretty cool for sure, that's my favourite kind of scenario so I'd really like to see that

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You need to try them. It is a whole new ASL experience. Use european tactics and you will, rightly, suffer.
Thanks Martin, yeah, for sure, I would like to play PTO at some point, something new to learn of course (and I have enough problems nailing down the basic game, heh,heh,heh :) )

But yeah, I'm keen to try it at some point

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
Caps Lock on the small font in the ASLRB would help eyesight also.
Better yet use a Sans Serf type of font like Arial font.