New around here.

JapLance

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thanks mate, these are the kind of things I wanted to learn doing this.

Here is the latest version with all changes and suggestions included.

**** most recent version at the end of this thread ****

Last edited:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
JapLance said:
I like the idea, but I'm not sure of the way to implement it. I've set the formation into DELAY orders with activation in turn 5, but I don't know how to randomize this with an event.

If you put the delay on, the time that it will enter is determined beforehand. It is not done each turn. It's done immediately that turn or in some cases, right from the beginning of the game. Read that somewhere.
There are some good articles for event planning and such at www.TDG.nu

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
Thanks mate, these are the kind of things I wanted to learn doing this.
More things: I have been checking the OOB, and according to Carlos Engel "Historia de las Brigadas Mixtas" the 93rd Brigade didn't fight in the Ebro. As for the Republican Artillery, they had this at the start:

Frente Pasivo XV.CE (outdated guns that wouldn't cross the Ebro)
152mm Howitzer,6
150mm Howitzer,2
105mm Howitzer,2
107mm Gun,2

Frente Pasivo V. CE
2º Grupo: 90mm ER Gun,12
1º Grupo: 90mm ER Gun,10
5º Grupo: 90mm ER Gun,10
3º Grupo: 150mm Howitzer,5

Groups that supported the crossing were grouped in Agrupaciones:

XV CE:
Agr. Barbeta
- 4.5 inch Howitzer,9
- 105mm Howitzer,9
- 76mm Gun,9

Agr. Marcellán
- 155mm Howitzer,12
- 107mm Gun,9

Agr. Navarro
- 77mm Gun,28
- 105mm Howitzer,12

V CE
Agr. Freire
- 105mm Howitzer,17
- 80mm Gun,9
- 76mm Gun,8

Agr. Sanchez Tomás
- 155mm Howitzer,6
- 152mm Howitzer,6
- 107mm Gun,9
- 76mm ER Gun,6

Also, some divisions had a machine-gun battalion, armed presumably with weapons that were withdrawn from the individual brigades that was used as an elite unit, as far as I know, 3rd division had the 121st battalion, but 11th Division was different in having the Batallón especial, a 500 men unit specialized in infiltrations, armed with automatic weapons that could be simulated using the guerrilla icon with 50 SMG squads.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Forgotten last time: the Nationalists had a hell of a time evacuating their artillery, my suggestion is to take all trucks out of the batteries and leave just the horse teams, then put all the horse teams to 0, so the batteries get a movement rate of 1 on the first turn and will only be able to move away as horses are assigned. Since the horse team on hand level is 40, the process should be fast enough so that by turn 3 all can move away.

JapLance

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JMS said:
More things: I have been checking the OOB, and according to Carlos Engel "Historia de las Brigadas Mixtas" the 93rd Brigade didn't fight in the Ebro.
I can't find it now, but I read somewhere that just prior to the battle the 60th BM was changed for the 93rd. As soon as I find the source I'll post a link.

As for the Republican Artillery, they had this at the start:
Great. I had a .doc file with more or less this information, but with no TOE for the units. Comparing I can now more or less situate all the guns in the right sectors.

Also, some divisions had a machine-gun battalion, armed presumably with weapons that were withdrawn from the individual brigades that was used as an elite unit, as far as I know, 3rd division had the 121st battalion
OK, that Bn is now created extracting the MG from the rest of the Division. Added a few light infantry squads, as with only HMG its defensive strength was poor. I think I read somewhehe that the 42nd Div also had one of these batallions.

but 11th Division was different in having the Batallón especial, a 500 men unit specialized in infiltrations, armed with automatic weapons that could be simulated using the guerrilla icon with 50 SMG squads.
Which are the guerrilla icon special characteristics? Can the Special Forces icon be used as well?

To Bdr.Mallette: Thanks for the info. That document about the events in TDG is a bit overwhelming for me. Also learnt the hard way that changing OOB brings consequences with the events involving units. It's hard to be a newbie :laugh:.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
I can't find it now, but I read somewhere that just prior to the battle the 60th BM was changed for the 93rd. As soon as I find the source I'll post a link.
I have the 60th as the 3rd brigade and the 93rd on the Balaguer bridgehead, were it was trashed in the Catalonia offensive.

JapLance said:
OK, that Bn is now created extracting the MG from the rest of the Division. Added a few light infantry squads, as with only HMG its defensive strength was poor. I think I read somewhehe that the 42nd Div also had one of these batallions.
Probably, I found today this site:

http://www.sbhac.net/Republica/Fuerzas/Armas/Infanteria/Subfusiles/Subfusiles.htm#Subfusiles

I has this on the excellent ZB LMG:

"Ametralladora ligera Lehky Kulomet ZB-26/30
Compradas por Asúa a Checoslovaquia en un lote que incluía fusiles VZ-24, cascos, y esta ametralladora. Llegaron a tiempo para intervenir en la batalla del Ebro donde fueron providenciales. Esta excelente ametralladora ligera fue la antecesora de la famosa y eficaz Bren, y como no, del famoso fusil ametrallador FAO del ejército de Franco desarrollado a mediados de los cincuenta.

La república importó 2000 a principios del año 1938, siendo usadas principalmente en la Batalla del Ebro."

JapLance said:
Which are the guerrilla icon special characteristics? Can the Special Forces icon be used as well?
It gives disengagement bonuses comparable to the Special forces icon, but it's not airportable.

JapLance said:
To Bdr.Mallette: Thanks for the info. That document about the events in TDG is a bit overwhelming for me. Also learnt the hard way that changing OOB brings consequences with the events involving units. It's hard to be a newbie :laugh:.
Leave the events for the last moment, and if possible make an spreadsheet with them, otherwise it's impossible to get them straight! At TDG there is an application which will read scenario dumps so you can check wether the events are going to work or not. See here: http://www.tdg.nu/indexdownload.html

Name is ODD

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
events

I totally second that.

Try to minimize events if possible by assigning 'powers' to the units themselves, such as enter on turns not events, objectives, withdrawing and such(if possible for scenario). EvilEd (event editor) is 'evil' but you must become very adept with it. I learned the hard way as well, designing a scenario before becoming a good player and realizing what REALLY affects the battles and such. You may want to proceed slowly and definitely do the evnts last. Have evrything finished before doing events, I mean everything. Play more scenarios to break the first knowledge barriers of the game itself. Once your eyes open a little about the depth of the game engine, your scenario design will change, trust me. Every game is a learning experience for me still, not sure about the Elite players but it is for me.

If you're not interested in making the scenario playable against the P.O., then take that into effect when doing events, really makes life easier.

:salute:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
More stuff I found roaming around: Republican TOE for October 1938. Previously, the Infantry battalion had 816 men.

Last edited:

JapLance

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Thank you, JMS. Is there anything similar for the Nationalist side (at least at battallion level?

Probably I will increase Battallion strength from 30 to about 50 squads. I've also added the republican DECA Brigade, as well as a few nationalist reinforcement batallions that arrived in the early days of the battle from various divisions.

Regarding ODD, seems like it's not working fine, or I don't know how to make it work properly. I made a dump of the scenario, and read it with the program, but it reports errors that really don't exist, like scenario date, or missing unit data in events. I also noticed that some events display wrong units. Any tips?

Last edited:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
Thank you, JMS. Is there anything similar for the Nationalist side (at least at battallion level?

Probably I will increase Battallion strength from 30 to about 50 squads. I've also added the republican DECA Brigade, as well as a few nationalist reinforcement batallions that arrived in the early days of the battle from various divisions.
Fear not, best I have is this I got many, many moons ago from the Defensa forum:

"Batallón de Infantería, cito textualmente al general Casas de la Vega, en su obra la citada Las Milicias Nacionales. Tomo 1, pagina 346: "El Batallón es la pequeña unidad táctica fundamental. Es de composición fija (tres compañías de fusiles, otra de ametralladoras y los elementos de servicios indispenasables). Actúa siempre dentro del marco divisionario, aprovechándose de él para el combate y para obtener lo preciso para su vida. La compañía de ametralladoras con una sección de morteros provee el fuego necesario para el apoyo a las compañías de fusileros."

Each of the Rifle companies will have 3 Platoons of 4 squads (using the American terminology) for 12 Squads per Co. The Machine-gun Co will have 6 MMGs.

My interpretation is this:

Nationalist Battalion:
Rifle Squad,24
Light Rifle Squad,12
SMG Squad,1
50mm Mortar,8
Medium MG,6
81mm Mortar,2
70mm Light Gun,1

Tercio Battalion:
Heavy Rifle Squad,36
SMG Squad,1
Medium MG,16
81mm Mortar,2
70mm Light Gun,1

For the Republicans:
Light Rifle Squad,48
Rifle Squad,16
81mm Mortar,2
50mm Mortar,4
Porter Squad,2 (due to the difficulty getting trucks across)

The variation in the number of Light rifle/Rifle squads comes because you have to decide on the allocation of LMG, but I believe the overall number of squads is correct.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
Regarding ODD, seems like it's not working fine, or I don't know how to make it work properly. I made a dump of the scenario, and read it with the program, but it reports errors that really don't exist, like scenario date, or missing unit data in events. I also noticed that some events display wrong units. Any tips?
Yes, for us Yurropeans you have to change the decimal format from comma (,) to point (.)

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
Well, it's at 2.5 Km/Hex, but not very accurate.
I see. I have done some measuring and it comes out at 1.2 Km/hex, which could be a problem with the artillery ranges. Let me see if I can help you a bit with the map.

JapLance

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JMS said:
I see. I have done some measuring and it comes out at 1.2 Km/hex, which could be a problem with the artillery ranges. Let me see if I can help you a bit with the map.
Apart from a couple of villages off their real locations (Mequinenza should be further North, Ascó is a bit closer to Flix), I've found the scale to be about 2Km/hex, which is not bad for my very first map :laugh:. I'm using the Michelin Guide Online

boldeagle said:
Can anyone recommend a good sourceto begin a study of chaplins in military history?
Sorry, no idea of what Chaplins are.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
JapLance said:
Apart from a couple of villages off their real locations (Mequinenza should be further North, Ascó is a bit closer to Flix), I've found the scale to be about 2Km/hex, which is not bad for my very first map :laugh:. I'm using the Michelin Guide Online
Hmmm, interesting resource. I am dumbfounded as I am using the Generalitat sites... :crosseye:

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
boldeagle said:
Can anyone recommend a good sourceto begin a study of chaplins in military history?
I believe you are referring to Chaplains. I fear i can't help, though.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
A bit more:

CENTURIA 1ª BANDERA F.E.T. ARAGON AGRUPACION DE FUERZAS DE F.E.T. Y DE LAS J.O.N.S. DE ARAGÓN

Organización y estado de fuerza
31 de mayo de 1937

PLANA MAYOR
Jefe Militar: Teniente Higinio Francoy Palacín
Alférez Médico Asimilado: Manuel Albert Lasierra
Capellán: Lucio Elpuente Torrente
Secretario: Sargento Antonio Latas Pueyo
Jefe de Enlaces: Guardia Civil Teodoro Del Olmo Gimeno
Enlace escribiente: Pedro Larroy Lacasa
Enlace ordenanza: Carabinero José Cubelos Novillas
Enlace conductor: Leoncio Bandrés Jarne
Enlace conductor: Miguel Escuer Barcos