New 3rd party publishers releasing material??

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

I was wondering if we will see new 3rd party publishers release material?

A number of 3rd party publishers have gone out in the last several years and I think a few more may cease Publication in the next few years??? Has this created a “vacuum” for new publishers or is this era of 3rd party publishers seen its zenith?

When I say new, I don’t mean a spin-off of a group that worked on a prior 3rd party publication or a re-branded 3rd party, but a brand new group of ASLers or whoever releasing material.

I have mixed feeling on this issue, new scenarios are always welcomed, even if we have more than we can ever play, on the other hand I don’t want new ASL material just for the sake of having new material.

What are your thoughts? I eagerly await the next “wave” of 3rd party publishers and your comments.

Happy Thanks Giving to all!!

Thanks
Joe

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi Joe

My 2 cents
(a) In the past, the strength of a Gaming group (and there are new ones forming in SE Asia as an example) leads to small enterprise production - often with a passionate person and thus we have some very welcome additions created - I think that will happen but often for one to two packs - not ten years of packs (mammoth effort of a burnt out crew as we have seen recently)
(b) The designs explore the ASL World so well - I hope they never stop - even CH has Gems in the cupboard from them exploring beyond the official and there is a following for all TPPs - I have my favorites like Dispatches!! and LeFT
(c) Please get someone from that beautiful country called FRANCE to take all the Vae-Victis scenarios and translate them :mad:(http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/vae-victis/) - for three years I tried to buy and play them but my high school French failed me!!!. - Its one of the greatest shames in the ASL community - people would pay!!!!

SO in a nut shell - gamer's groups could do it as in the past but not long term, there is a need to explore and a market and there are some GEMS of hidden treasure from the non-English speaking world (remember billions bigger than the English speaking world) that we need to get access to!

Rob:)

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The only new TPP I know of is Broken Ground, and he's just (JUST?) doing counters, not scenarios, HASLs etc, though we could hope regarding that massive map of the fortress at Brest!

A problem for non-English TPP is language conversion, and this goes both ways.
Their target market is limited to either learning English or translation of the rules into their language.
Either way, it's a pretty big hurdle.
Otherwise, there would likely be many, many times the foreign language players out there already, and the English speakers would be the minority.

Honestly, you have to be pretty smart to grasp and play the game (even badly), and the non-English speaking players all know (at least passably) two languages or more, so they're all pretty smart, probably smarter than a lot of us English only speakers.
ASL has really only begun to spread across the globe, I'm sure there will be more TPP in other countries to try and broaden their player base in future.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The only new TPP I know of is Broken Ground, and he's just (JUST?) doing counters, not scenarios, HASLs etc, though we could hope regarding that massive map of the fortress at Brest!
YASL and the StL guys have published their first products in the last few years. Though, being clubs first, it’s unlikely they’ll become “regular” TPPs.

For myself, sure, interested in new and interesting stuff and willing to give anyone a chance. I don’t expect a new BFP/FrF to pop up, but I wouldn’t resist it either.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
YASL and the StL guys have published their first products in the last few years. Though, being clubs first, it’s unlikely they’ll become “regular” TPPs.

For myself, sure, interested in new and interesting stuff and willing to give anyone a chance. I don’t expect a new BFP/FrF to pop up, but I wouldn’t resist it either.
IMHO YASL has to be classed, even if in part, as a spin-off to the OP criteria. And the OP is likely aware of YASL by proxy....ie DftB. The crew and PT overlap is there enough.

StL is new ground...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL has really only begun to spread across the globe, I'm sure there will be more TPP in other countries to try and broaden their player base in future.
Just by way of Devil's Advocate...one of my favorite roles (hissss from the stalls).

I started my ASL 'career' in England, but I am an American, (Rossi did likewise almost at the same time best I can tell, we compare notes on shopping at Virgin (Branson) Game Store on Oxford Street in the late 80s early 90s), but I played SL since USA based HS at 14, so worked that pathway. ASL has been in Europe (and Scandinavia) for a bit more than "really only begun"...I wager so to for the land of OZ.

That new lands have opened up sure. But this ain't ASL's first rodeo.

And ASL has been in the land of the Maple Leaf for long enough that the leaves have dropped and been re-born many times over...

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Work is probably already coming thru from "new" ASL group and individuals via the existing TPPs and MMP. There's an apprenticeship period as folks learn the trade.

Striking out as a "stand alone" TPP requires not only design mojo but also relationships with playtesters, proofers and layout artists etc, aside from time and capital.

Takes a little while to build all this out!

Rgds Jack

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget the Kansas City ASL Club with their excellent March Madness packs. :cool:
No, again I rate them as having been around....not the "new 3td Party.."

See I see the OP as asking about newly born TPP....not newborns from known TPP...

Perhaps you see the OP words in a different light...fair enough...but I see it as asking about something to emerge...(use the movie announcer voice...ie tap into your ASL production short film clips...)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
New scenarios and boards came in from brokenground with his mousemat pack. If you haven't got one them do. Great "bigger than they appear" scenarios.
The Tactics and Strategy magazine from Poland has had 4 ASL scenarios published in it. Speaking to the designer, he has a lot more to come based mainly around the exploits of his home country and the fighting over it. To be honest, they are not great but he's getting better and the more stuff he has to use, the more he can do. ASL is very expensive compared to income there.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
How many TPP disappeared during the last year?
The premise of the OP would require more precise data.