Never tell me the odds....

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So...the standard attacker: defender ratio is 3:1 for a reasonable chance of success. In practice the level of supporting fires, terrain, troop quality and a host of other factors including chance means it's pretty meaningless. There are plenty of examples of small numbers of defenders with automatic weapons stopping large numbers cold.

In practice attackers tried even when they had a numerical superiority to concentrate on some points and not attack others. The Schwerpunkts.

But in Asl it's very very rare to get a 3:1 ratio. The model - probably because it gives a player god like powers of coordination - makes it easier to attack. 3:2 or even 5:4 is normal.

So which Asl scenario has the highest attacker: defender ratio? The highest one I know is the Hedgehog of Piepsk with 32:7 squads so roughly 4.5:1....

Reinforcements count in determining ratios. What would be the highest ratio that was still a game?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A million to one, depending on the VC. At least part of the answer is that if the attacker truly has 3:1 advantage, the attacker has to do a lot and the defender gets bored. It's probably as much game design as anything else to give the attackers & defenders roughly the same amount of stuff.

JR

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think in ASL-land the 2:1 and 3:1 ratios are created by the attacker during the scenario.
For example, the defender has to defend X, Y, and Z and the overall force ratio is 3:2. The attacker is able to find a way to attack Z at a 3:1 ratio and so on.