Network setup for TCP play thread

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In this thread, please post how you had to setup your networking equipment (modems, routers, firewalls) to allow you to host TCP games.

Be as specific as possible about
- what hardware and software you have
- what did not work so that others can see they have the same problem
- the solution you found

I will post generic instructions first.

Please keep help requests out of this thread, this thread should be straight for solutions without cluttering it up with discussion or detective work. I will take the freedom to move posts out of this thread to keep it clean.

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As long as it isn't concerned with one specific piece of equipment or software it is very very simple:

For hosting, port 7023 must be open and forwarded to the machine you host on.

For joining, outgoing port 7023 must be allowed.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you want to know your IP address for sure use this:

http://redwolf.dyndns.org/whatismyrealip/whatisyourip.cgi

Also, this allows you to request a portscan back to your machine so that you can see whether you are actually opening and forwarding the port as required for hosting. Click on the link in the above page to request the scan.

Last edited:

JohnfMonahan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have a network at home with a router/firewall etc., make sure it forwards port 7023 to the PC, with the PCs IP #, that you are playing on. If you need any help, please feel free to contact me. I was a network geek once.

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JohnfMonahan said:
If you have a network at home with a router/firewall etc., make sure it forwards port 7023 to the PC, with the PCs IP #, that you are playing on. If you need any help, please feel free to contact me. I was a network geek once.
If John is busy or not available, feel free to email me. I'd be happy to help.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I started this thread my idea was that people post screenshots of their specific router config screen to show where exactly you open up and forward the port.

%%

This is for a Linux machine acting firewall:

port=7023
targetport=7023
target=<your inner machine running TacOps>
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i $enemy -p TCP --dport $port \
-j DNAT --to-destination $target:$targetport

This is a FreeBSD machine doing the same:

In /etc/firewall:
ipfw add pass log tcp from any to any 7023 setup in via $if

And start natd with:
natd -dynamic -port 8669 \
-interface <external_interface> \
-redirect_port tcp <yourbox>:7023 7023

I know this helps a lot of people a lot :)

tinjaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Netgear FR114P

I have a Netgear FR114P.

I added a "Service" for "TacOps" that uses TCP on port 7023 and forwards the traffic to my local IP (in this case 192.168.1.2).

I added a "Rule" that "Allowed"/"Enabled" the "TacOps Service".

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For what it is worth I use McAfee's firewall. The first time I used TacOps for network play a message popped up and I said to allow the program access to the net. I have not had problems hosting or connecting on my PC. My hosting has been only with one player by the way as a test of sorts.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I am running a small local net at home. Its nothing complex, a PC and a G3 MaThe PC normally runs XP Pro but I can by a small ROM switch boot it as a Win 2003 Server. The G3 Mac runs either OS 8.6 or 9.0.4, it has multiple boot drives.
All computers are linked to an Ethernet hub and into this hub is my broadband/ADSL link. This allows all machines to access the web as well.

If I host a game off the PC and run the G3 as a joiner the net connection fails constantly. It’s highly unstable for some odd reason. In many cases this amounts to not even getting the ‘accept player x to join’ dialog.
If though I host the same game off the G3 and the PC s a joiner then the net connection is quite stable and its works as should
It is the same game/saved scenario in both cases. This also happens with the scenarios that come on the CD. So it seems to be more net orientated than scenario building.

I thought this might be something to do with Windows Firewall that comes with XP.
But the exceptions in the XP Firewall have been set for both tacops and also the port number and the needed IP#.
So it does not make much sense.

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hey guys,

Using an IBM laptop, 1.7 Ghz Pentium M, ethernet connection and avast! firewall... never had any problems whatsoever.

I am posting because my 1st CPX, dubbed the "nightmare CPX" (January I think), had LOADS of people with LOADS of network problems and I was hoping those people, if they are reading this passively, could share what they were using??