Netflix Raises Prices by Up to 60%

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This has been my outrage of the day. I think my blood pressure has doubled since I read the email Netflix sent to me. Here's a synopsis:

Netflix Raises Prices, What’s Next For Users?

Moving forward, Netflix users will have the option of a $7.99 unlimited streaming service. instead of paying $2 extra for the one-at-a-time unlimited DVD service, users will now have to pay another $7.99 a month for that. This basically means that the $9.99 service was just increased about 60% to $15.98 a month.
This annoys the heck out of me for three reasons:

1) I am a cheap bastard.

2) Back in November, Netflix raised prices by $2. The reason? Their streaming service became popular. Yes, you read that right. Because a lot of Netflix users were taking advantage of their unlimited streaming option, Netflix decided to charge everyone who also gets a DVD in the mail extra money. I didn't understand that reasoning then and I still don't understand it now.

3) With an email that sounded like it was written by Futurama's Prof. Farnworth, Netflix today made this announcement (I paraphrase): "Good news everybody! The rate for our most popular plan - 1 DVD at a time + unlimited streaming - is increasing by 60%! That's a great deal that includes no extra services or perks!"

Now, as a way of trying to make the medicine go down, Netflix has announced that if members don't want to see their plan increase 60%, they can opt to only subscribe to their DVD service or their streaming service for $8 (for the moment - I have no doubt this will go up sooner or later). Both options fail because:

1) Netflix's DVD service has already been dealt a severe blow by the fact that Netflix has to wait roughly 30 days after a new DVD is released in retail or on VoD. So if you like to watch new DVDs on release day, tough luck. And, of course, this doesn't take into account the long waits that occur sometimes even after the DVD is available due to high demand. The there is the fact that most Sony new releases are not available due to a contractual problem that has yet to be resolved.

2) Netflix's streaming service is lackluster, to say the least. It takes many months for new movies to appear on their streaming service...if they appear at all. And even when it comes to old movies long since available on DVD, many are not available via Netflix. Cable VoD, Amazon, Hulu and Apple all offer a more timely streaming experience.

So you see the false choice here. Neither the DVD-only or Streaming-only options offer something worthwhile. You really need both to get your values worth from Netflix. Now you know why why they are jacking up the cost of their most popular plan by 60%.

In other words, this is a calculated revenue grab of the most shameless sort.

I am heartened to see that is outrageous move by Netflix is generating quite the buzz - even my generally useless local news included the story in their nightly broadcast. I, for one, will not be paying $15 bucks for the same service I was originally paying $7.99 and then $9.99. I will cut back to DVD only for the time being just to maintain access to their large DVD library, with the idea of jumping ship and heading to Amazon VoD (Amazon Prime no only gets you free shipping for a year, but also includes thousands of streaming movies and TV shows for $80 a year - a price cheaper than any of Netflix's plans) or Verizon VoD at some future date. Enoughs enough.

Anybody have any thoughts? What are you gonna do?

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty stupid move if you ask me. I tried them out and gave it up for Comcast VOD. I suspect a lot of Form 4's will be flying around in August. Form 4's is what certain people of the company have to file to sell their stock, but they have to wait until earnings are released which I think is in early August. The valuation for NetFlix is insanely out of balance with the rest of the industry. They only have 20 million subs, but for some reason someone thinks they deserve the valuation they get. A lot of people have lost a lot of money short selling the stock.

My guess is that NetFlix is either no longer around or a completely different company in 5 years - they have started to try to get NetFlix specific content so they don't follow Blockbuster to the courthouse steps once distribution models change on them.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty stupid move if you ask me. I tried them out and gave it up for Comcast VOD. I suspect a lot of Form 4's will be flying around in August. Form 4's is what certain people of the company have to file to sell their stock, but they have to wait until earnings are released which I think is in early August. The valuation for NetFlix is insanely out of balance with the rest of the industry. They only have 20 million subs, but for some reason someone thinks they deserve the valuation they get. A lot of people have lost a lot of money short selling the stock.
That's interesting! I haven't followed NetFlix that closely in the financial pages but I do recall seeing a report on FOX Business making the same case that you just did - i.e., they are overvalued, especially in light of Red Box nipping at their heals. I am curious to see what happens to their stock now that you mention it.

My guess is that NetFlix is either no longer around or a completely different company in 5 years - they have started to try to get NetFlix specific content so they don't follow Blockbuster to the courthouse steps once distribution models change on them.
I am curious to see how this plays out. No matter what, though, this is just a stupid decision. I understand that they may need to raise their rates, especially since the competition for streaming media is so intense right now. But could they at least make it more palatable? Commonsense would suggest that if you are going to charge $8 per service, then you should also make a combo deal that would offer both at a discount - say $12-13 dollars or so, especially for older members. That would still tick off people like me who would see it for what it was - a price hike AGAIN - but at least we would be getting a break that new members wouldn't be getting.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Dumped Netflix a few years ago when they wanted more the first time. Didn't seem worth it back then.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am curious to see how this plays out. No matter what, though, this is just a stupid decision. I understand that they may need to raise their rates, especially since the competition for streaming media is so intense right now. But could they at least make it more palatable? Commonsense would suggest that if you are going to charge $8 per service, then you should also make a combo deal that would offer both at a discount - say $12-13 dollars or so, especially for older members. That would still tick off people like me who would see it for what it was - a price hike AGAIN - but at least we would be getting a break that new members wouldn't be getting.
Yeah, they are probably a company starting to believe their own bullsh*t - we are the greatest. See a lot of companies go through this cycle - scrap like hell to compete, become successful at it, then start to believe they walk on water and their sh*t doesn't stink.

The other explanation and I have seen this happen before - They rolled out a service without having a good handle on how much it costs to support plus marketing rather than product management / finance set the service cost, then it gets going and they realize they didn't charge enough out of the gate and left with either using it as a loss leader for other services or increase the price.

My guess it is a little of the former (starting to believe their own BS) and later (they hosed up the cost model).

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They want to get rid of the DVD business.

Eventually they will implement it by removing the stuff you want to see from the DVD selection. I have already seen a bunch of stuff I once got from them on DVD disappear.

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
When Netflix closes because people decided they'd rather bit torrent films for no money, you will understand why.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is like some on-going joke. In an attempt to soothe his enraged customers, NetFlix's CEO, Reed "Please Tax Me More, Obama" Hastings released what is already being called "the World’s Worst Apology Letter". Check it out:

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

Qwikster? Two web pages for one service?? New competition with GameFly???

What...the...F*#^$@

From that WP piece:

As Rob McKaskill noted in the comments: “Breaking News: phone companies are separating the talking and listening services they offer. Now, you'll have one phone for talking and another for listening. This will make it simpler for users and allow the company to focus better on improving the two separate services. (They consulted with the New Coke developers to make these changes more appealing to the public.)”

This about sums it up.
:D

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That letter made me mad. All I'm gonna say. I had a $30 netflix subscription for what must be closer to their launch. This pissed me off. What an idiot.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the world of corporate sleaze....

Get you to buy in low, then after time, they begin doubling the prices.... Pretty soon you're paying through the nose for a product that is not improved any at all.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to the world of corporate sleaze....

Get you to buy in low, then after time, they begin doubling the prices.... Pretty soon you're paying through the nose for a product that is not improved any at all.
Worth mentioning that I now pay more for the DVD-only product than what I did pay when there was only DVDs - but that a whole bunch of DVDs have been removed from the selection.

I think I'm gonna have a chat with Netflix customer support. I have a feeling that I won't get much disagreement in my opinion of Netflix' CEO.

At this rate the only sane way to reliably get obscure/rare movies is pirating them. And the pirated movies always work even in high res, unlike the Blu Rays that might require a new firmware or two. The paying customer is the only one who's suffering from their crazy copy protection schemes.