Nerf lasers?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
A lot of whining going on these days about lasers being the "I win" button. To be perfectly honest, I don't agree. The only thing I see is a weapons system that actually works and hasn't been nerfed to hell by CCP.

I say the right thing to do this is to fix the systems that have issues instead of nerfing everything in the game that actually works. Drones, for one, need to be adjusted vs sleepers. At present, Gallente are just worthless against them. And missiles are a bad joke for PvP as a general rule.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
As Amarr I have been born with lasers but these things drain your cap like hell. :angry: Without some help you empty your cap in like 1 min on average. I've seen people mounting railguns on Amarr ships just to keep them afloat. So they have their pros and cons.
Missiles do seem to be less effective in PvP but I understand that they are more usefull in PvE, so that balances to some extend.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have an Abaddon that I rat with that is pretty cap stable.

(Abaddon)
Large Armor Repairer II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
1600 Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
1600 Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrame II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrame II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Mega Pulse Laser II
Capacitor Control Circuit I

DPS: 638 (Scorch L)
DPS w/3 Ogre II: 824
EHP: 93,152

Cap lasts 11m 18s with this setup. This works well for ratting, but it doesn't have a MWD or any sensor booster, ECCM.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Put in a big cap booster in a mid, stock up on cap 800 charges. If your cap recharge rate is still fairly good (with diminishing returns, the 5th mid shouldn't be all that great anyhow), you can probably pop a charge every 7-8 minutes or so and "perma run" the guns, until you run out of cap charges... Quite a bit more expensive for ratting, but you won't have to disengage or cut back on the number of guns active on the target to regen cap.

Chaim628

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Cap lasts 11m 18s with this setup. This works well for ratting, but it doesn't have a MWD or any sensor booster, ECCM.
Well that is not without help. A lot of space and cost is allocated to keeping your cap operational.
I guess your cap runs out in a matter of seconds if you take out :
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well that is not without help. A lot of space and cost is allocated to keeping your cap operational.
Yeah, pretty much all of it is needed. If you take out just one ccc, cap fall to just over 3 minutes worth. True, I could put in a larger booster with 800s to compensate. But burning up all those 800s can get expensive and you can only carry about 14 of them, and that can make ratting a pain when you have to go back and get more boosters from the station.

avl90

Reaction score
I always thought lasers suffered for their damage type, with most pvp setups being armor tanks (for group reasons) than shield tanks.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, pretty much all of it is needed. If you take out just one ccc, cap fall to just over 3 minutes worth. True, I could put in a larger booster with 800s to compensate. But burning up all those 800s can get expensive and you can only carry about 14 of them, and that can make ratting a pain when you have to go back and get more boosters from the station.
Have you tried the other alternative of putting in cap batteries to expand the cap base value? In effect it also increases your recharge time. I'm not sure how well it works for cap, but shield extenders can sometimes be more "effective tank" than a shield recharge amp. Same might be true for cap, but maybe not with that extremely rapid drain. On my salvage Cormorants, I put in a small battery to give me more cap to run the tractors and salvagers.