Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I wish to have a "one round mini" during CASLO, wherein everyone plays the same scenario and there are two winners: best Allied player and best Axis player. Since VP are the easiest way to measure "best", both sides should need to score VP of some kind.

Two examples that I know are:

SP34 Frank Force
J48 Blood Enemies.

I appreciate your assistance.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish to have a "one round mini" during CASLO, wherein everyone plays the same scenario and there are two winners: best Allied player and best Axis player. Since VP are the easiest way to measure "best", both sides should need to score VP of some kind.

SP34 Frank Force
J48 Blood Enemies.

J174 Heart Of Athena

Just 5 turns, has a unique system of winning individual Game Turns that you might be able to incorporate. If this scenario had an IPO, I'd buy stock. :)

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
J174 Heart Of Athena

Just 5 turns, has a unique system of winning individual Game Turns that you might be able to incorporate. If this scenario had an IPO, I'd buy stock. :)
The turn you win on:
Turn 3 = best
Turn 4= better
Turn 5 = good.

Tie breaker : the largest margin of victory points sandbagged on any given turn that you won.

How's that for a dividend, Carl? :laugh:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Tarawa CG III: the Marines have a 804 VP cap. That should make for a good spread of results. If time is limited you could always use the VP scored on the first CG date.

JR

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about "The Bet"? The best player for each side would be the one who emerged victorious with the highest VC bid/requirement.

Reactions: ecz

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about "The Bet"? The best player for each side would be the one who emerged victorious with the highest VC bid/requirement.
I at first thought this as well...but it won't fit. He needs the other side to accrue points to. In the Bet the other side does not gain anything, you are effectively just bidding sides...

I think FT174 Green Berets might suit though...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Hmmm. Best Axis player takes the most buildings. Best Allied player keeps the most buildings; but that number is very dependent upon the German bid. Interestingly, the German player could lose the scenario and still win the VP mini.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would advise against doing a tournament this way. Two well matched players having a close game means neither will get into the finals. You are only rewarding lop sided matchups.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would advise against doing a tournament this way. Two well matched players having a close game means neither will get into the finals. You are only rewarding lop sided matchups.
Meaning that good players will have to play the meta-game of finding a newbie to beat up on.

JR

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We used FT181 in Round 3 of the CASLO last year.
http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.ca/2015/04/caslo-returns-to-nations-capital.html

But I agree that the bidding process for VC makes "The Bet" an intriguing candidate for a one-round mini.

I think that this would put pressure on both players to bid high per SSR2, with each player trying to get the Germans, and hence the initiative, in more than one sense of the word. Clearly, the Axis winner is the German player who bids the most buildings/rubble hexes and succeeds in Controlling at least this many at game end. But how is the Allied winner determined?

It seems to me that the best Norwegian player is the one who prevents the German player with the lowest bid from succeeding. This makes for an interesting dynamic wherein risk takers bid high in order to play the Germans and dictate the nature of the game. At the same time, cautious (or clever) players must take care not to bid too low lest they make it too easy for their opponents to win, thus eliminating them (i.e. the Norwegian players) from the overall competition.

IOW, the bidding process creates a game within a game. The German player who bids the highest has an inherent edge over his competition (ie. other Axis players). Provided he Controls at least as many hexes as bid, he gains the crown automatically. Barring mistakes (and bad luck) on his part, there is no way that a German player who bid less can win the Axis title.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecz

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I had tournaments and competitive playings in mind while designing "The Bet" but I think this scenario is good for a last round or a final. Cannot figure how its bid mechanism could be useful in a mini with the format described by the OP. BTW I agree who says that hardly such a format indicates the "best" Axis and Allied player.
It just indicates who wins more easily.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly

SP34 Frank Force
J48 Blood Enemies.

6,5 hours? and how many players?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The turn you win on:
Turn 3 = best
Turn 4= better
Turn 5 = good.

Tie breaker : the largest margin of victory points sandbagged on any given turn that you won.

How's that for a dividend, Carl? :laugh:
The man is a visionary!:hail:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The man is a visionary!:hail:
Glad you like the scenario, Carl. I was worried that it might be a little too far 'out of the box' for a Journal and almost tried to pull it for the Chapter E action pack that is in development.

As it turns out I have more than enough scenarios for the latter anyway.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Glad you like the scenario, Carl. I was worried that it might be a little too far 'out of the box' for a Journal and almost tried to pull it for the Chapter E action pack that is in development.

As it turns out I have more than enough scenarios for the latter anyway.
Speaking of Chapter E, is there any re-write involved there? Or are your lips sealed?:hush:

Sean Deller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about FB12 The Black Ravens are Flying? Make it a straight CVP competition (with no auto-victory provision). Instead of the building control VC, just have them worth an additional 2 (+/-) VP to the controlling side.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'm going for maximum accessibility, so any HASL is not in the running for this one-round mini.

I have just gone through all the Action Pack scenarios. I found three that fit my requirement.

AP100 COAL IN THEIR STOCKINGS
AP70 SONS OF SLAVA
AP41 THE MEAT GRINDER

I'm interested to hear people's opinions of these scenarios regarding balance and enjoyment.