Need Help With .mdx and .vmdx Extensions

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I'm flummoxed. I cannot for the life of me get the new extension "B=VaslOverlays_102.vmdx" to work. In my attempts to install this, I have also wiped out the other .mdx extensions, and I don't know how I did it. HELP!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Download those files again - there are not many of them.
Specify in your VASL preferences which folder contains them.
It should normally work.
If it doesn't, I hope that someone here can give you better advice.
Btw, that overlay extension is not vital, as you can place overlays in the classical way quite easily.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I found a good conversation from last June
Download those files again - there are not many of them.
Specify in your VASL preferences which folder contains them.
It should normally work.
If it doesn't, I hope that someone here can give you better advice.
Btw, that overlay extension is not vital, as you can place overlays in the classical way quite easily.
BY JOVE, YOU"VE (ALMOST) GOT IT!
Thanks to your advice, I've got my old extensions back, minus the terrain extension.
I still haven't got VaslOverlays_102.vmdx yet, but I want try some things before I once more cry for help.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I found a good conversation from last June

BY JOVE, YOU"VE (ALMOST) GOT IT!
Thanks to your advice, I've got my old extensions back, minus the terrain extension.
I still haven't got VaslOverlays_102.vmdx yet, but I want try some things before I once more cry for help.
Make sure you aren't hiding the file extensions of file. The files are actually ZIP files with the ".zip" removed. Sometimes, the OS will recognized this and 'helpfully' add a ".zip" to the end. You think the file name is ABC.vmdx but it's actually ABC.vmdx.zip. VASL won't recognize the .zip. -- jim

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Make sure you aren't hiding the file extensions of file. The files are actually ZIP files with the ".zip" removed. Sometimes, the OS will recognized this and 'helpfully' add a ".zip" to the end. You think the file name is ABC.vmdx but it's actually ABC.vmdx.zip. VASL won't recognize the .zip. -- jim
Yeah. jrv pointed this out in a post from June of this year. I will do a workup on my current problems a bit later. Right now I need a break -- Larry

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Yeah. jrv pointed this out in a post from June of this year. I will do a workup on my current problems a bit later. Right now I need a break -- Larry
I think I've found the source of my difficulties.

In VASL "Preferences", I can prefer "boards" or "extensions", but not both. My question is, how to fix this short of a complete reload of VASL?

I would like some direction from the knowledgeable folks before I start trying to slam-bang my way out of this problem -- mostly because this is how I got into this trouble in the first place.

Larry

Dirk Beijaard

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
You configure the Board directory on the general tab and the Extensions directory on the the Extensions tab in the Preferences window. Not sure what you mean with "prefer boards or extensions"

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
You configure the Board directory on the general tab and the Extensions directory on the the Extensions tab in the Preferences window. Not sure what you mean with "prefer boards or extensions"
Thx 4 the reply, and thx 4 the tip. My problem is that under General Preferences, I have no "boards" listed. I will attempt to correct this, and maybe get back to you.
Under my "Extensions" heading, I cannot place "VASLOverlays_102.vmdx" into "Extensions", so that one is still hanging over my head. I would like to resolve this somewhere short of a complete reload of VASL -- because I doubt this drastic action would solve my problem.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
On the extensions tab, you only point to the directory. It should load it automatically.
Yes, it does that; however, I cannot add anything to the directory.

I am going to set up a new "Extensions" directory and add extensions to it. I will start by clearing out an Extensions directory and adding downloads from the Extensions library. This way I hope to exercise some control over my inputs.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry, do you want to try to skype? Maybe I can talk you through to a resolution. I’m in Alaska.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
ABSOLUTELY!
I have a chore to do this AM until about 10:30 EST. After that, I'm free until noon.
What is a convenient time for you?

YIKES! Alaska, huh? In that case, I have another chore from 12:30 to 1:30, then I'm through for the day.

Looking forward to meeting you.

As I recall (it's been awhile) my handle is lafajita2

Last edited:

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
ABSOLUTELY!
I have a chore to do this AM until about 10:30 EST. After that, I'm free until noon.
What is a convenient time for you?

YIKES! Alaska, huh? In that case, I have another chore from 12:30 to 1:30, then I'm through for the day.

Looking forward to meeting you.

As I recall (it's been awhile) my handle is lafajita2
OBTW, what is your Skype handle?

Last edited:

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
BigAl737, it looks like we did not connect today. Care to try again tomorrow? My day won't be full of other things then.

Larry

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to have missed you Monday. Let’s try for Tuesday. Just got home from work so let me see what’s up for me tomorrow. We should be able to make something work. Watch this thread for more info.

Al

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Larry, the 4 hour time difference is a deal breaker for me today. How about Wednesday evening your time? How late is too late for you?

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Larry, the 4 hour time difference is a deal breaker for me today. How about Wednesday evening your time? How late is too late for you?
How about 9:00PM my time (5:00PM your time)? If I know you're going to be around, I can plan my evening for it. This seems to be your optimum time to reach out.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay. Let’s shoot for that. I’ll try to find you on skype. I’ll post my skype here as well.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
Okay. Let’s shoot for that. I’ll try to find you on skype. I’ll post my skype here as well.
BigAl737, I am standing by at my keyboard.
My problem is as it has been. I know that I need to rename my "VASLOverlay_v102.vmdx" file to erase the .zip at the end, but my Windows 10 won't allow it. Once this is figured out, I should be OK. The rest of the extensions are already there, although the terrain chart took some doing. Awaiting your call.
If skype lets us down (I'm having a problem with connecting with, well, anyone) we could talk on my cell phone.
I like to think it will take maybe 5-10 minutes of instruction to get this down.

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
What I need to know, but don't: At what point in the downloading process must I erase the .zip portion of the file? When I try to do this, Windows 10 won't allow it. I simply get the zipped-up file regardless.

And yes, I've enabled "see hidden files", so I do see them.

In olden times, somebody would take pity on me and send me a file attachment with the .zip removed. This time I want to be able to do this myself, as this is now the standard way that extensions are posted.