Need Help Testing Scenario

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've been kicking around the idea of doing a scenario of Renaissance based on my fantasy stories. I've done up a scenario and OOBs with a modified PDT, but I need help testing it to make sure it works properly. This is a fantasy world with elves, dwarves, etc. They fit into Musket and Pike with surprising ease, so I thought I might as well use them!

If anyone's interested please let me know. If this works out I will expand it and do some new graphics for the units and leaders and more scenarios.

Thanks!

rahamy

HPS Games Forum Moderator
Reaction score
I have too much going on right now, but I'll let Rich White now - he might be up for it.

hrik

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Sounds interesting and might work quite well, but the game engine is not really ideal for certain aspects of fantasy such as magic. But perhaps you've considered ways of simulating this sort of thing.

If you'd like to send me a copy of your scenario and associated files to look over I'll give you some feedback My email address is fow65 at yahoo.co.uk

Rich White

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'll get something to you this weekend.

I've covered magic by having them as small units as skirmishers, high armour (which means they're hard to get rid of), and have used the X weapon slot for 'Magic'. This is basically a 1 hex very powerful attack which can't be used defensively.

It actually works rather well, all things considered.

I was surprised at just how adaptable the REN engine is. I've done experiments with other things too and found it's pretty easy to set up the standard fantasy races with it.

I've been distracted by the Xmas break but I'll send you a brief write-up, the scenario, OOB and PDT file with the weapons.dat (though that's not necessary for it to run).

TheGrayMouser

Reaction score
Hello, Id be glad to test this out as well. Ren is pretty flexible and Ive been tinkering with the idea of a Rome vs the East type mod. Hellenistic pikes would of course be easy, Maniples i figure could be 480 man units with a modified PDT weapon of Pilum, a single use missle weapon with really high soft hard attack etc. Pacs and or scythed chariots a little harder to stretch but I thought i could make them 50 man heavy cavalry units(each 10 men representing one chariot or elephant) low morale with an armour value and melee value of 9, (highest I beleive the engine can support) which would give a reasonable effect of "single use" weapons ha ha.
Of course my imagination exceeds the practical amount of time to actually put something like this togther, coupled with ZERO skill in graphics.
Cheers!

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hello, Id be glad to test this out as well. Ren is pretty flexible and Ive been tinkering with the idea of a Rome vs the East type mod. Hellenistic pikes would of course be easy, Maniples i figure could be 480 man units with a modified PDT weapon of Pilum, a single use missle weapon with really high soft hard attack etc. Pacs and or scythed chariots a little harder to stretch but I thought i could make them 50 man heavy cavalry units(each 10 men representing one chariot or elephant) low morale with an armour value and melee value of 9, (highest I beleive the engine can support) which would give a reasonable effect of "single use" weapons ha ha.
Of course my imagination exceeds the practical amount of time to actually put something like this togther, coupled with ZERO skill in graphics.
Cheers!
Awesome! Give me a contact email and I'll send you the stuff as well.

I like your ideas a lot. A Roman mod would be awesome, and fairly 'easy' to achieve too! I'd be happy to work with you on that if you wanted....

For elephants cavalry is your best bet, but also make them really low quality as you say, so they're liable to rout through their own units and disorder them.

TheGrayMouser

Reaction score
Cool, sent you a PM with me email address (BTW if you dont get it post here, I know I hit send but I am not 100% confident it actually went thru as appently you cant view sent items...)

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Got it! Thanks. :)

I'll send you both the background today with the game files to follow once I've made a few changes.

HOPLITE1963

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi
Anybody wanting to build an ancient mod of REN is welcome to use the REN modding kit that I developed for my ongoing REN II mod. An updated version of this can be downloaded from here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54384751/REN Modding Kit January 2013 Version.zip

This version of the Kit includes 2D counter graphics designed to take maximum advantage of the “Divisional Colours” feature of the game. It would also interesting to see how introducing elephants works out I would like to expand the scope of REN II to include the Mogul and other South Asian armies at some point.

All the best
Ian

Lord_Valentai

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So, if anyone's interested I've finally completed work on part of a much larger OOB setup, if anyone would like to have a look.

No scenarios created yet, but am interested in feedback on the OOB itself.