Naval warfare 2nd world war

Robert Fair

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for some very old computer wargames. As best I remember the name/s "Great Naval Battles", "Task Force 1942", and "Great Naval Battles, Guadacanal". If originals are no longer useable on current computers, does anyone know if the makers ever upgraded them, or did anyone else produce similar products for current generation computers.

Priest

Reaction score
Mantis said:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=476

Great Naval Battles 1&2 are available through links (you have to purchase them); GNB #3 is available as a free download here (manual is on the page as well).

I believe you can get TF1942 here as well, although it's been awhile... Check through this site, it's a gold mine for old titles.
Question Mantis, are we allowed to mention HOTU on this site? Mention of this site has been banned on the Wargamer because of piracy issues even though this site is concidered to be abandonware. This site mainly uses CD rips so the question of piracy is raised by a lot of people.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, I guess that's kind of a grey area. Underdogs has been mentioned on this sight repeatedly for the two years I've been around. Also - if it was straightforward, they would have been forced to shut down by now. They've removed all the software that still has someone actively 'at the helm' so to speak, so that nothing that is commercially available is supposedly listed; everything is truly supposed to be adandoned.

As long as the Underdogs site is willing to respect the copyright and wishes of any of the software title holders, I think it's a great idea, and am glad that someone is doing something along these lines.

Re: the Wargamer. I also used to be staff there, and we mentioned the Underdogs at will. The recent issue is probably due to the fact that the Wargamer has been purchased by 'Big Money', and there's a certain conflict of interest now.

Underdogs is harmless, and they are providing a valuable service. Those old titles have a lot of miles in them still, and as long as no one's toes are being stepped on, I hope they keep it up!

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That software something association tried to shut down the Underdogs in court, and failed. So there must be something that is above board about the whole thing.

Priest

Reaction score
Mantis said:
That software something association tried to shut down the Underdogs in court, and failed. So there must be something that is above board about the whole thing.
Thanks for the response Mantis, just curious about that. I was just over to HOTU and check on a certain title that the IDSA had HOTU stop offering for download. The title is now being offered for download so I guess that everything is kosher now. Thanks again.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The IDSA is whom I was referring to above. The way that I figure it, if they were unable to legally kill HOTU, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Glad to offer my two bits!

kellysheroes

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heh, explain to me this, I downloaded some games from Underdog, DOS games mind you and these bloomin things WORK with WIN-XP, but, flipping some Win95/98 games don't!! what's up with that?? Especially Panzer General Scorched Earth and Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri (even with the XP patch centauri said it wasn't compatible with my 'processor'.!!!

I got Antietam by SSI, gawd that game is old, but, it brought back some memories of the 80's days. Funny thing is, my computer is soooooo fast that I couldn't even see the combat portion of the game. So for funzies I put both players on computer and in less than THREE MINUTES it played out a WHOLE game! lol now that was a laugh. Used to take me HOURS to play out a game of it.

Soooo, my next question is, is there someway I can slow down a 2.4ghz processor to play those old games of old? I've tried MOSLO and it didn't work at all. Any other ideas?

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
kellysheroes said:
Soooo, my next question is, is there someway I can slow down a 2.4ghz processor to play those old games of old? I've tried MOSLO and it didn't work at all. Any other ideas?
Try running the old games through VDMSound