Naval War: Arctic Circle

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is Paradox getting deeper into wargaming? Found this interesting mention at the Paradox convention about a 2012 title:

The Paradox Convention Preview Blowout

Naval War: Arctic Circle

Out Q1 2012

I know, I know. “These games are all well and good Quinns, but where’s my immersive RTS about contemporary naval warfare in the Arctic Circle with realistic modelling of weather and sensors?” It’s right here, you bastard! Just give me a minute!

Naval War: Arctic Circle is an immersive RTS about contemporary naval warfare in the Arctic Circle, with the player controlling and fighting aircraft carriers, submarines and even “orbital” units. Play will be focused around detection and evasion, with plenty of devastating guided weaponry ready and waiting to be employed if you can just find the sodding enemy, which is where the weather comes in.
It certainly sounds interesting. At first I thought Paradox picked up "Red Pill".

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice find, Herman! The game is reminding me of Jane's Fleet Command and 'Red Pill'.

According to Fredrik Sundt Breien, managing director for Turbo Tape Games, “we hope to balance the accessibility of games like StarCraft II with the deep strategy of a naval warfare games such as Harpoon.”

That sounds promising.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
More info released:

Naval War

I loved the dev's comment about how modern naval vessels are often more powerful than their science fiction counterparts. Exactly right. I wish the next guy who makes a fleet-based sci-fi game would take a long hard look at modern naval warfare before writing any code.

Mr. Haugland made a very good pitch for what could seem to be a dry topic for non-grogs. Other devs should watch his style.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another interesting dev blog, this time about Naval War and Harpoon:

Naval War: Arctic Circle – Developer Diary #1

“Oh yes, somebody is remaking Harpoon!”

That was pretty much the reaction we received from the honoured guests at the Paradox Convention in New York this past January. We were there for the official announcement of Naval War: Arctic Circle, due for release a whopping full year into the future. Although we had a “playable” hidden away on our laptops that was showed off only to those who begged, bribed, or asked nicely, it left a few things to be desired. We mostly showed off unit model renders and a few scenic clips of warships at sunset (a modern take on the Norwegian kitsch classic “Moose in sunset”).

In game marketing, assets are king, and showing actual gameplay is the king of kings. Two dudes chatting away are unlikely to get a lot of attention amidst all the shiny medieval knights and zany wizards. Yet Naval War did excite a lot of people, and we received quite a bit of attention.

Why?

Because controlling aircraft carriers, blowing up massive warships, and launching armadas of mighty warplanes is the ****.

And, since the revered Harpoon and the not-so-revered Fleet Command, modern naval combat has not exactly overcrowded the field of strategy games in recent years.

In developing the game, we are in the process of finding out why. All those challenges that probably made many other developers scrap their plans and instead create yet another original take on the zombie apocalypse are ones that we have to confront head-on.
Was that you, Herman? :D

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Naval War: Arctic Circle Interview

At the same time, NWAC is first and foremost an entertainment game, not a simulator. We do take shortcuts and simplify the subject matter to make it enjoyable. We do recognise that to many fans, accuracy is important, but we want this to be a game that appeals to any RTS or war game enthusiast.
http://www.manapool.co.uk/naval-war-arctic-circle-interview/

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can watch a pre-recorded gameplay stream here:

Broadcasting LIVE - Naval War Arctic Circle today!

Only watched a few minutes of it, but it looks interesting. I just wish it was Naval War: Pacific, dealing with confrontations against the Chinese navy rather than a rehashed WWIII Nato/Russia setting. I think the later is a more believable setting and would prove more interesting. Eh, perhaps it will arrive in the form of DLC. :)

I also recall reading that there will be no nukes in the game. I think that is a mistake. As I watched the gameplay, it reminded me of DEFCON in a very good way. It would be nice to be able to "kick things up a notch" with a full-on thermonuclear war. :devil:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm going to be doing an interview with the devs of Naval War and I was wondering if anybody has any particular questions they would like answered. If so, just post 'em here!

Wodin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not sure about the movie thing, I could list endless Sci Fi and Fantasy films that have been massive box office hits.
This looks a fun game but nothing to serious. Command Naval\Air Warfare for me I think.

@Scott, Thermo Nuclear...always like abit of that in my games, makes me go ooohh, and remember trying to picture mushroom clouds in he Sky when I was young in the eighties.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Scott, Thermo Nuclear...always like abit of that in my games, makes me go ooohh, and remember trying to picture mushroom clouds in he Sky when I was young in the eighties.
Yeah, I find it disappointing that there are no nukes in this game. It looks sort of like DEFCON. If there were nukes, you could make some real interesting scenarios....

Looks like Paradox got Michael Bay to make the next trailer :D:

[video=youtube;dVXe9Da6Mb8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXe9Da6Mb8[/video]

I like the weather effects.

Release date is now April 10.