Naval book recommendations

saddletank

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
He seems to have avoided succumbing to Professional Historian's Writing Disease so far though.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
MDv 352/11 "Die Verwwendung der Torpedowaffe in dem Schlachtkreuzergefecht auf der Doggerbank und in der Skagerrakschlacht"

another installment of the originally secret German "lessons learned" of WWI

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P9T0GCMR

as before its been long declassified and is part of the public domain by now

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does someoene knows a book that handles German Marines actions in WWI?
Do you mean like Marinekorps Flandern? For that, I recommend Wielding the Dagger, by Mark D. Karau. However, this is much more concerned with the naval and air parts of MKF. The ground actions of the naval personnel in the line aren't covered in any detail.

Vingt-Huit

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Well, if you're somehow able to read french, I should suggest you to read the following :
"Nouvelle histoire de la marine. Tome 2 : La vapeur, la cuirasse et le canon. Le Jutland"
by René Maine published by Editions Maritimes & D'outre-Mer.
It does contain a full detailed (250 pages) narrative about the Jutland battles.

Pepe le Moko

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am looking for a book about the coral sea battle. Do you guys know a good one?

Last edited:

SwampYankee

Reaction score
Well I have a good one that covers the strategic issues up to and including the battle:
The Barrier and the Javelin, Willmott
Really does a good job explaining the both sides strengths and limitations that led to the battle. The tittle refers to the barrier (including the Bismark barrier) that the Japanese planned to hold against the allies
Also, if you want to cover it in a game, and this one is tactical, Matrix games Carries at War is excellent and covers all the major carrier engagements.

Pepe le Moko

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Thanks SwampYankee I'll add this one to my list. Actually I was considering buying this game, I am still on the fence about it.

I just finished reading Shattered Sword about Midway and it is one hell of a history book. I had heard about it by reading this forum, Bullethead mentioned it if I am not mistaken and I have to say it is outstanding. It will probably be hard to find a book about the Coral Sea battle that can match it.

Any other suggestion?

GerritJ9

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
"Admiral of the Fleet Earl Beatty The Last Naval Hero: An Intimate Biography" by Stephen Roskill. Unfortunately Roskill did not write a similar biography about Jellicoe as far as I know.

avl90

Reaction score
I'm researching the evolution of ships and their weapons/equipment from about 1900 through to the end of WW2. Any specific books, websites, or other web-resources on this topic?

Blutarski

Reaction score
I'm researching the evolution of ships and their weapons/equipment from about 1900 through to the end of WW2. Any specific books, websites, or other web-resources on this topic?

A brief list:

Books -

Anything written by David K Brown (quite seriously recommended).
"Modern History of Warships", by Charles Hovgaard.
"Guns at Sea", Peter Padfield.
"Battleship: Design & Development 1905-1945", by Norman Friedman
"British Battleships: 1860-1950", by Oscar Parkes.
"British Destroyers: 1892-1953", by Edward March
Any of the "Warship" annuals (some on books.google.com)
"Warship International" periodical

Web Resources -

Navweaps
Haze Grey and Underway
books.google.com and search under various key phrases

B

Blutarski

Reaction score
Thanks SwampYankee I'll add this one to my list. Actually I was considering buying this game, I am still on the fence about it.

I just finished reading Shattered Sword about Midway and it is one hell of a history book. I had heard about it by reading this forum, Bullethead mentioned it if I am not mistaken and I have to say it is outstanding. It will probably be hard to find a book about the Coral Sea battle that can match it.

Any other suggestion?

...... Sorry for the tardy response, but just stumbled onto your request.

With regard to the Battle of the Coral Sea, I very highly recommend "The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway", by John Lundstrom. If you found "Shattered Sword" useful, you will find Lundstrom's work equally so.

B

GerritJ9

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Just discovered the existence of this book concerning the RN's "K" class steam submarines:

K Boat Catastrophe: Eight Ships and Five Collisions
The Full Story of the "Battle" of the Isle of May
by N.S. Nash
Publisher: Pen & Sword
ISBN: 9781844159840

Haven't bought it yet so can't comment on its contents.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Battle of the Falkland Islands, by Henry Edmund Harvey Spencer-Cooper (you might have heard of him). The full thing, for free, in a wide variety of download formats (see box to left), including Coronel and a lot of the RN's side of the hill while hunting von Spee.

EDIT: Fixed link.
http://www.archive.org/details/battleoffalkland00spen

Last edited:

VaDingo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I must be a bit slow - the only thing I saw on the page were instructions on how to make a Putt Putt Boat.

I found that interesting but would really like to read the book by Spencer-Cooper....