Naval Bombardment

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just to confirm my interpretation on the rules of naval bombardment:

For the resolution of naval bombardments there is a +2DRM to each MC taken. So I am reading this to say it is an extra +2DRM to the 2MC personnel take and the MC for terrain/fortifications. Effectively making it a 4MC for personnel (plus reversed TEM DRM) and 2MC (instead of NMC) for terrain/fortifications.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Good question. G14.72 appears insufficiently worded for clarity since it speaks of 'the naval bombardment MC DR receives a +2 DRM' but should probably say 'the normal 2MC for bombardment (C1.8) with an additional +2 DRM.'

What you have stated sounds correct; however adjusting the effectiveness of the MCs like that may prove more confusing than just adding a +2 DRM to normal bombardment results of a 2MC -- also, for some reason, there is a second attack when a naval bombardment is done, per G14.73, if fortifications are involved.

[EDIT -- by the way I got your new Wacht Am Rhein pack last week -- looking forward to playing. I like the new bangalores!]

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Just to confirm my interpretation on the rules of naval bombardment:

For the resolution of naval bombardments there is a +2DRM to each MC taken. So I am reading this to say it is an extra +2DRM to the 2MC personnel take and the MC for terrain/fortifications. Effectively making it a 4MC for personnel (plus reversed TEM DRM) and 2MC (instead of NMC) for terrain/fortifications.
Correct. Per G14.7: "...Naval Bombardment is treated like normal Bombardment (C1.8-.823) except as stated otherwise...."

The per G14.72: "...Each Naval Bombardment MC DR receives a +2 DRM...." - i.e., this is something that is "stated otherwise.".

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Has anyone (in game ASL play) being on the receiving end of a Naval Bombardment (not NOBA)? It appears pretty powerful.

Last edited:

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
yes while playing Maxim Gorky...............it is very nasty...............Rules
1) do not stack, , forget trying to use fire groups makes too big of a target
2) spread out your squads.... keep at least two hexes between squads
3) move damn fast............ double time to get into cover.
4) do not stay in the open.
5) And if you can, position yourself and your fortifications on a reverse slope. Very hard for NOBA to affect you
6) NOBA has a different impact pattern remember this.
7) If you are hit by NOBA and you are not in cover prepare to lose a lot of squads.
8) If you locate a enemy NOBA radio team throw everything you have at it including the kitchen sink, truck tires, whatever and kill it quickly.
9) The naval guns in Maxim Gorky are 280mm and when they hit a stack the common result was a bloody massive shell hole in the hex and body parts if you could find them
10) Saving grace is as long as the infantry present a moving target then they are hard to hit unless dealing with preregistered hexes than you might as well kiss you ass goodbye
11) Large calibre shells almost always KIA things., it is rare to not have a large MC modifier.
12) If you can, use dead ground to hide your movement as long a possible.
13) Forget using tanks as carriers unless you can move between cover quickly you infantry riders will literally be sandblasted off the tanks from the blast effect. And if your tank
is hit good luck surviving it.
14) My only advice is plan your route of advance and move like the devil is after you. And remember if your opponent can pre-register hexes look at the map and see if there are
likely spots he would select. Choose covered routes, and if you have it, smoke the enemy positions to reduce defensive fire. Then run like hell, get close to the enemy positions so he cannot use the NOBA without hitting his own troops.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone (in game ASL play) being on the receiving end of a Naval Bombardment (not NOBA)? It appears pretty powerful.
When I was on active duty with the Marine Corps, I knew an officer who had commanded a rifle company in Vietnam that had the USS New Jersey in support. From what he described, powerful might be an understatement

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This naval bombardment rule only applies to itself or does it apply to regular NOBA as well. We think that it does not apply, but just asking. Tim