NatZee Flags

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A neighbor a few homes away passed recently, he was a veteran of WW2 in Europe. His daughter called me today and wanted to show me some of his loot from WW2. So I went over to take a look, I've know him most of my life and like my father he never talked much about his WW2 service. Besides the pile of German pistols she found there is a NatZee armband, and what I take for a building banner with NatZee emblem on it. I think that its a banner rather then a flag because it's about seven foot long and only about thirty inch's wide. Does stuff like that have any historical value, and what do you think about collecting that kind of stuff.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Historical value it has some but to be honest, not a heck of a lot as they were pretty common.
As for collecting,it depends on your reason. If for the historical aspect then fine, if for nazi fanboyism then I have a problem with you rather than the item.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Whatever it might be - you can be pretty sure that there is enough of that stuff around in museums. So the historical documentation is covered.

Instead, ask yourself:

What kind of regime does the symbology stand for?
Do we need this today, do we want that?
Do you want to give that stuff into the hands of people who still hype it?
Would the bucks you get for it be worth supporting that fetishism?

I would throw the stuff away.

von Marwitz

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've seen some collectors display Nazi stuff as "captured" to show their utter defeat in battle and destruction of their regime and sordid ideology. This is always the best way to present this stuff. It's historical, even more so if it is a "bring back" from a veteran. Document that notion and with what I mention previously, you can keep the stuff in it proper historical context.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Uh-hum. Most collectors display Nazi stuff to display Nazi stuff if you ask me.

Well. You asked for opinions, you've got mine. It is: Throw the shit away and abstain from the opportunity to earn money by selling Nazi items.

von Marwitz

I think you missed the word "some" in my post. Please read it again.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
My perspective is different and cares nothing about the ideology. They are just a soldier's war souvenirs. If the man's daughter wants to keep them as mementos of her father's service and experiences, fine put them away as keepsakes of his service. If not, then I would recommend she destroy them.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A neighbor a few homes away passed recently, he was a veteran of WW2 in Europe. His daughter called me today and wanted to show me some of his loot from WW2. So I went over to take a look, I've know him most of my life and like my father he never talked much about his WW2 service. Besides the pile of German pistols she found there is a NatZee armband, and what I take for a building banner with NatZee emblem on it. I think that its a banner rather then a flag because it's about seven foot long and only about thirty inch's wide. Does stuff like that have any historical value, and what do you think about collecting that kind of stuff.
Third Reich (is this what you mean by "NatZee"?? Why the subterfuge?) era memorabilia and militaria are extremely lucrative, particularly items with provenance. There is a large collectors market for these items, and with it comes a large number of reproductions and fakes being peddled as authentic.

The items do have historical value and shouldn't be destroyed. 90 million Germans lived in that period, and the events of that era continue to shape our world today. Sanitizing history is not possible, but learning from it always is. Contemporary artefacts are a terrific window into that era.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I would recommend that the items be donated to the National World War II Museum in New Orleans.
It would most likely never be displayed. Most museums have a mandate of preservation, not just display, which means that 90% of their holdings never make it out of storage. On the other hand, private collectors would care for items such as this with equal care in addition to paying a premium to obtain them.

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My perspective is different and cares nothing about the ideology. They are just a soldier's war souvenirs. If the man's daughter wants to keep them as mementos of her father's service and experiences, fine put them away as keepsakes of his service. If not, then I would recommend she destroy them.
I agree with this. These items from what you haVE said hear have no other importance than personal to the family. The pistols will never be of any use in any good way. . Useless they were the personal firearm of a important leader in the 3rd Reich, they will most likely never be displayed in a museum. If sold will most likely be used to no good.
If you destroy them do it this way. Disassemble the pistol. Cut the barrel, the frame (receiver), and handle into 2 or 3 pieces each and take to half the parts to one scrape yard and the other half to another. DO NOT turn over to any police Dept. You don't want to risk that someone will be tempted to report the pistol as 'Lost".
I have found that this is the only way to insure that a item like this is destroyed.

daniel

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The pistols will never be of any use in any good way.
Living history groups, props companies who service movie and television, theatre productions can all make use of period firearms, particularly if converted to blank fire or rendered inoperable. Even as wall hangers there is value and people will pay to obtain them.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The pistols will never be of any use in any good way. . Useless they were the personal firearm of a important leader in the 3rd Reich, they will most likely never be displayed in a museum. If sold will most likely be used to no good.
Oh really?

So...If a citizen with no criminal record lawfully purchases a handgun from a licensed firearms dealer, he is probably 'up to no good'? Does this stereotype apply to new handguns as well or only to used weapons of fascist provenance?

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all for the comments, I've never been tempted to collect WW2 stuff, except for a very few rare items I've seen. A high school friends father had one of the very rare German Paratroop FG rifles hanging on a wall, it was rendered unable to fire, but I think its still worth thousands today. A man who worked for my father showed me a naval Marshals baton that had never been issued to anyone, back in the 50's, so I'm pretty sure it was a real one. My father brought back what he called a "Japanese lunch box", eight inch cubic wooden box with letters carved in it and four wooden drawers. My father thought the drawers held food, but I saw one like it years later and it held powder charges for certain mortars.
Michael natzee wasn't any kind of subterfuge, I just didn't know if this site would change Nazi into %@&*.

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
this should really go somewhere else but I'm lazy so this is my last reply(barring any personal insult, then it's on like donkey kong)

It is my personal opinion that collecting Nazi memorabilia is NOT a good use. I used to be a 'reenactor' and did US WWII impresion I quit after a few years partly because of the people I got to know who were doing the german side. It is my personal opinion that what they were doing was also NOT a good use.
I have reached the point where I no longer feel that, as exciting as firing a big bore high velocity large capacity fully automatic weapon is, there is no longer a place for guns of that type or for guns that carry the historical baggage of Nazi Germany, in the hands of private collections anymore.
What purpose does a private collection of Nazi memorabilia have? Certainly it is not for the education of the publice. No it's about ego.

yours ect.
daniel

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
May consider offering it to a local VFW or museum. I know my VFW has a display of captured stuff to include a MP-44, Schmeisser, KaR-98, Arisaka, & Nambu along with AK's, PKM's & SKS's. We also have uniform displays and a couple of captured flags (Japanese & NVA). Hey, vets aren't normally into the darker side of collecting in such instances.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sell the stuff and contribute the proceeds to some Anti-Hate cause (and take a tax deduction on the side). Swords into plowshares.