NATO vs WP Scenario Search!

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm working on a new Combat Campaign using SPMBT for the tactical battles and could use some good Operational level information. Can anyone here point me to or recommend where I can find an ACOW Scenario to use as the background/foundation? I am looking for Southern Germany, mid 1980's. Any ideas?

Thanks.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Double Deuce said:
I'm working on a new Combat Campaign using SPMBT for the tactical battles and could use some good Operational level information. Can anyone here point me to or recommend where I can find an ACOW Scenario to use as the background/foundation? I am looking for Southern Germany, mid 1980's. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I am currently working on a 1987 scenario covering the whole Central front. OOB is mostly done at regimental/brigade level. This what you need?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JMS said:
I am currently working on a 1987 scenario covering the whole Central front. OOB is mostly done at regimental/brigade level. This what you need?
Close. Regiment/Brigade would be OK. Would it cover the German/Czech/Austrian border areas?

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Double Deuce said:
Close. Regiment/Brigade would be OK. Would it cover the German/Czech/Austrian border areas?
Sure, all of Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, pieces of France, Poland and Hungary

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JMS said:
Sure, all of Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, pieces of France, Poland and Hungary
I will check it out when you are done but don't rush it on my behalf. :D

RandallW

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have photocopies of pages of books from the late 70's - mid 80's about a potential NATO - Pact war; unfortunately I don't recall the names of the books I copied the pages from!

One page has a very basic map of NATO deployment; AFSOUTH ( NATO southern deployment ) would have ( north to south ) WG III Corps, U.S. V Corps, U.S VII Corps, and WG II Corps.

WG III Corps:
2nd Jager Div, HQ at Marburg
5th Pz Div, HQ at Koblenz
12th Pz Div, HQ at Wurzburg

WG II Corps:
4th Jager Div, HQ at Regensburg
10th Pz Div, HQ at Sigmaringen
8th Gebirgs Div, HQ Garmisch-Partenkirchen
9th Luftlande Div, HQ at Bruchsal

The Germany 84 scenario seems to have a fairly complete OOB for a full Pact invasion scenario; note there are no 8th Gebirgs / 9th Luftlande divisions listed. I suppose the Gebirgs is represented as the 1st Mountain, and the 9th Luftlande is the 1st Airborne.

JMS

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
RandallW said:
I have photocopies of pages of books from the late 70's - mid 80's about a potential NATO - Pact war; unfortunately I don't recall the names of the books I copied the pages from!

One page has a very basic map of NATO deployment; AFSOUTH ( NATO southern deployment ) would have ( north to south ) WG III Corps, U.S. V Corps, U.S VII Corps, and WG II Corps.

WG III Corps:

WG II Corps:

The Germany 84 scenario seems to have a fairly complete OOB for a full Pact invasion scenario; note there are no 8th Gebirgs / 9th Luftlande divisions listed. I suppose the Gebirgs is represented as the 1st Mountain, and the 9th Luftlande is the 1st Airborne.
Yes, that's right. Also 2nd and 4th Jager were converted into Panzergrenadier divisions in the 80s

Amyrlin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RandallW said:

WG III Corps:

WG II Corps:

Was that book by chance The Third World War: August 1985 by General Sir John Hackett and "other top-ranking NATO generals and advisors"? I have a copy of it - a lot of good information but it's a bit dense reading, especially as it is horribly dated - good for laughs when it refers to Iran as a staunch American ally in the Middle East in 1985! (The copyright on the book is 1978.)