Nationality SW/Crew usage

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Regarding the above and I apologise if it's a confusing title....
Tomorrow my regular oppo and I are playing BFP - 35 "MAI PHU" from B&J.
I am the French defender - the OB includes 1xHMG, 2xMMG, 2xLMG and an ATR, plus two INF guns. Also, 2x228 and 2x127 crews.
The two 228s I assume go on the guns, and am I correct the 127s go on the HMG and ATR ?
I'm aware that some nationalities have crews for some support weapons ( Japanese, Italian etc. ) but nowhere can I find a list ( except for the Japanese), hence the question regarding the French.
TIA

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You get self-rallying MMC in case you want to place some weapons in a place where they might get attacked, but don't have the leaders to rally them if things go wrong.

Or, you get spare crews for your guns.

Now there might also be a historical reason for them to be included in the scenario OB, but I doubt it - it looks like a design decision.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You get self-rallying MMC in case you want to place some weapons in a place where they might get attacked, but don't have the leaders to rally them if things go wrong.

Or, you get spare crews for your guns.

Now there might also be a historical reason for them to be included in the scenario OB, but I doubt it - it looks like a design decision.
That makes sense, thank you....back to the set up we go...

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some rule sets described the H/MMG and lt. MTR SW as crew-served weapons. For example HOB firefights #1 has Crew Served Weapons rules. The penalty for a squad or HS manning the weapon was a degradation in B# and lowered ROF. I don't see the CSW rules repeated of Bounding Fire publications. The provision of "extra" crews permits you to make your own decisions about the manning of those more potent SW.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Put the 228 crews (1 at least) on the MGs (probably the HMG but not always), use the 127's for the Guns as a crew is a crew. The MG is probably going to fire more often and be subject to incoming fire more often, the higher morale and self-rally are plusses there. The guns normally fire less frequently and are emplaced anyway. Perhaps use the 2nd 228 crew for an especially critically placed ATR.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Put the 228 crews (1 at least) on the MGs (probably the HMG but not always), use the 127's for the Guns as a crew is a crew. The MG is probably going to fire more often and be subject to incoming fire more often, the higher morale and self-rally are plusses there. The guns normally fire less frequently and are emplaced anyway. Perhaps use the 2nd 228 crew for an especially critically placed ATR.
Nice, thank you...pretty much what I've done ✔