Nationality articles left to be written!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've looked over my ASL Annuals and Journals, and found that The Chinese {KMT & Communist}, French {3rd Republic, Vichy and Free French},
Finns, Swedes and Germans have yet to be graced with an article in the style of Craig F. Posey or Charles Markuss. Any takers?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I've looked over my ASL Annuals and Journals, and found that The Chinese {KMT & Communist}, French {3rd Republic, Vichy and Free French},
Finns, Swedes and Germans have yet to be graced with an article in the style of Craig F. Posey or Charles Markuss. Any takers?
An introduction to the Chinese, French, Finns and Germans are included in my Scenario Designer's Handbook, though not to the degree that Posey/Markuss examined them. Those articles by Posey et al were pretty broad. The revised article on the British (Tommy Atkins at War) was huge, had no illustrations, and got mostly negative feedback except from a minority who dig blocks of text on history. I think that's why nothing further was ever printed along those lines - guys wanted to read about ASL, not just history.

You might be better off asking for a list of good reference books. Osprey has some good primers on all the combatants, major and minor though obviously they are not going to link back to ASL design decisions.

I'm relieved to find that I even included mention of the Swedish Volunteers, however brief.

The Chapter Z pages for the Swedish Volunteers action pack seemed very well done to me, I was actually surprised at the depth of the historical write-up. (The (pleasant) surprise being that most ASL rules chapters don't really include a lot of history so it was unexpected to see it here.) I thought the whole product was great value for a low price.

Last edited:

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you for your suggestion, I'll keep it under advisement. Now if the lottery goddess of luck would just smile (sighhh).