Name your favorite War-related songs!!

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: My Tunes

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Mars:Bringer of War-Gustav Holst. Really good! Notice that much of the early Star Wars music has strong similarities (pays homage) to Mars:Bringer of War, and the rest of the set, Planets? Or, is it only me, that sees it?

There is also:
Starship Trooper by Yes
I saw it. The Imperial March fromThe Empire Strikes Back is very much in homage to Mars: Bringer of War and I agree, John Williams did like to pay homage to Holst.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: My Tunes

Originally posted by RichardS
I saw it. The Imperial March fromThe Empire Strikes Back is very much in homage to Mars: Bringer of War and I agree, John Williams did like to pay homage to Holst.

Cheers!

Didn't John Williams also do the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack? Since Indy's fighting against the Nazis, would be okay to include the Indiana Jones march here? :thumb:

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some great songs posted above. I'll add one more:

Sky Pilot (The Animals)

And a couple antiwar songs by Phil Ochs:

I Ain't Marchin' Anymore
White Boots Marching in a Yellow Land

Btw, how is the Stones' "Paint It Black" a war (or antiwar) song? I always heard it as a song about a girlfriend's funeral.

--Patrick

Reaction score
Originally posted by Patrick Carroll

Sky Pilot (The Animals)

I Ain't Marchin' Anymore

Btw, how is the Stones' "Paint It Black" a war (or antiwar) song? I always heard it as a song about a girlfriend's funeral.

--Patrick
I think in this cae, "Paint it Black" was used IN a war movie, and the music symbolized the rock and roll listened to by the troops there. Not to say rock was theonly music listened to, but rock had a much higher profile. Besides, the music, tempo and rythmn were appropriate to the scene.

Reaction score
Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom
"Veteran of a 1,000 Psychic Wars"- Blue Oyster Cult
You got Aces High...but forgot
"The Trooper"- Iron Maiden (The charge of the Light Brigade man!)
"All along the Watchtower"- Jimi Hendrix (Supposedly composed when he was in 'Nam for that short time that he was there)
I'll think of more...
Sorry to disappoint you , but Bob Dylan wrote "All Along the Watchtower", not Jimi Hendrix. Hendrix's electric version so inpressed Dylan that he declared the Hendrix version to be far superior to his original and when Dylan plays it today it is an electric version that pays homage to Hendrix's adaptation of his original.

Dave Mason and U2 have also done good versions of this song.

Reaction score
Probably one of the most visually poetic songs about war has to be Bruce Cockbourn's "If I had a Rocket Launcher". He was devoutly anti-war Canadian, but the song that came out of him after touring war torn Nicaragua in the "80's shows what any person can be driven to. In fact the entire albumn "Raging Fire" that its from is full of songs that relate these experiences.

If you have never heard it I would highly recommend it.

Reaction score

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
How could I forget those! I love Johnny Reb and Commanche is a very moving song. Always have to remember there was one American survivor of the Little Big Horn! :thumb: And you putting Scotland the Brave up there reminded me of a song called "Roddy McCorley". Its an old Irish song about fighting the English.
Yeah, I have an old copy of Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits somewhere and all of the songs that have been mentioned by him are on it. "The Battle of New Orleans" is still a favorite.

"...they ran through the briars and
they ran through the brambles and
they ran throught the bushes
where a rabbit couldn't go.
they ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em.
on down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico."

Reaction score
Originally posted by dannybou
Wasn't there one called:

War!! by Frankie goes to Hollywood?
I don't think its the same song, but it has the same title.

"War" done in the '60's by I believe Edwin Starr and covered more recently by Bruce Springsteen.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: My Tunes

Originally posted by RichardS
Yup. He has an album called Past, Present and Future that has a lot of songs with a historical theme including Old Admirals which is about Admiral Sir Jackie Fisher.

Cheers!

yeah, I found the lyrics on the web! Pretty amazing to hear a song about the Eastern Front (any song that includes Tiger tanks in the lyrics is alright in my book! .:D )

Patrocles

Reaction score

Originally posted by Iron Mike USMC
Mars:Bringer of War-Gustav Holst. Really good! Notice that much of the early Star Wars music has strong similarities (pays homage) to Mars:Bringer of War, and the rest of the set, Planets? Or, is it only me, that sees it?

There is also:
Starship Trooper by Yes
I forgot about Starship Trooper by YES. I love the bands music! I always assumed the song was based on the Hienlein (sp.) novel. Problem is I have a hard time understand the lyrics...I will need to find the lyrics on the web.

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Patrick Carroll

Sky Pilot (The Animals)

I Ain't Marchin' Anymore

--Patrick
Thanks for reminding me about Phil Ochs! I remember also liking his songs "Talking Cuban Missile Crisis" and "Talking Vietnam."

I also recall Woody Guthrie doing a song about Charles Lindbergh siding with Hitler before WW2. Had a funny line somewhere about teh U.S. making tons of weapons to "kick Hitler in the Panzers."

Then there is Billy Bragg's rockin' cover of Woody Guthrie's "All You Fascist (are bound to lose!)."

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Probably one of the most visually poetic songs about war has to be Bruce Cockbourn's "If I had a Rocket Launcher". ...
If you have never heard it I would highly recommend it.
Hear hear! Thanks for giving me the singer's name. I have fond memories of the song, but I'd forgotten who sang it.

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
I listen to a lot of Heavy Metal with military themes when I prep for medieval combat. Here are some that I like:

The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Aces High, Die with your Boots on - Iron Maiden
Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix
Rooster - Alice in Chains
Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton (not for training)
Broadsword - Jethro Tull
Brutal Planet - Alice Cooper
Ancient Warrior, Supernaut- Black Sabbath
Machine Men - Bruce Dickinson
Crush 'em - Megadeth
Red War - Probot
Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood (not for training)
Zombie - Cranberries (not for training)
...everything by Grave Digger
Maryland My Maryland (written for Lee's 1862 invasion) (not for training)
Helms Deep from the old cartoon version of Lord of the Rings
Ride of the Valkyries (of course)

JS

Patrocles

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janos
I listen to a lot of Heavy Metal with military themes when I prep for medieval combat. Here are some that I like:

The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Aces High, Die with your Boots on - Iron Maiden
Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix
Rooster - Alice in Chains
Battle of New Orleans - Johnny Horton (not for training)
Broadsword - Jethro Tull
Brutal Planet - Alice Cooper
Ancient Warrior, Supernaut- Black Sabbath
Machine Men - Bruce Dickinson
Crush 'em - Megadeth
Red War - Probot
Proud to be an American - Lee Greenwood (not for training)
Zombie - Cranberries (not for training)
...everything by Grave Digger
Maryland My Maryland (written for Lee's 1862 invasion) (not for training)
Helms Deep from the old cartoon version of Lord of the Rings
Ride of the Valkyries (of course)

JS
There a definitely a few songs on your list that I want to hear!

Pardon my ignorance but what does "(not for training)" refer to? just curious...

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paint It Black I was always told was about Vets coming home, again, so I was told.

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Patrocles
There a definitely a few songs on your list that I want to hear!

Pardon my ignorance but what does "(not for training)" refer to? just curious...
I mentioned that I listen to some of them while I train for medieval combat...the "not for training" ones I listen to at other times, but not while working out.

If you want any of them, PM me the ones you want to see with your email address and I'll send them. I have them all on .wav, except Broadsword, which I need to get.

JS

PvtManaCoB3MD

Reaction score
Country
ll
There's a song on the soundtrack for "Mighty Wind" the Christopher Guest movie called "The Ballad of Bobby and June" it's a Civil War ballad about a Union soldier....it's supposed to be kinda cheesy, but in reality, it's more like real Civil War songs.

"....but they fell in love....to the sound...of guns....the year was 1861...."

Janos

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by PvtManaCoB3MD
There's a song on the soundtrack for "Mighty Wind" the Christopher Guest movie called "The Ballad of Bobby and June" it's a Civil War ballad about a Union soldier....it's supposed to be kinda cheesy, but in reality, it's more like real Civil War songs.

"....but they fell in love....to the sound...of guns....the year was 1861...."
Yep...their songs were pretty sentimental. Your post reminded me of Cross the Green Mountain -- the Bob Dylan song from Gods and Generals -- a great song from a great movie. I wish I had a better copy of it.
JS