name the best scenario with the worst balance

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
the discussion about playtesting in the age of play once and move on made me want to ask what are the best scenarios having the worst VCs in your opinion.

More answers allowed and encouraged. Comments are welcome as always.

I'm not asking for scenarios with the worst apparent balance (ROAR exists) I'm searching for the best scenarios penalized by a poor set of VCs.

I would start with The Agony of Doom, even in the updated version of scenario 136. A great classic that should have deserved more playings with better VCs.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, The Agony of doom should be on the list, Russians need the balance, plus. Here’s a few others:
Rockets Red Glare: Germans get balance (squad)
Cold Crocodiles: Germans get balance (squad)
Acts of Defiance: Germans get balance (9-2 armor leader)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Yeah, The Agony of doom should be on the list, Russians need the balance, plus. Here’s a few others:
while I have the same feel for Acts of Defiance, I didn't noticed any unbalance for the other two. I believe they are very good scenarios ( of course) but still remains fully playable despite one side has a slight edge. Probably I did'nt play them enough. ( Just a couple of playings each).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rockets I'll play anytime straight up with the Germans. Having played it going on 14 times now, that qualifies me as a professional Rockets Red Glare player ;-)

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
G1 TIMOSHENKO'S ATTACK
this is interesting. Could you elaborate why do you think is unbalaced and how it could be possible eventually fix it? I have a theory about this scenario, curious to see if it's a common view.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Liberators - the Russians need help, but it is a great scenario.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Parker's Crossroads - great fun, but the Germans could do with some help.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
A very famous example is White Tigers. The balance issue might be resolved now with the release of Rising Sun.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A weird one is ‘Abandon Ship’ where the German balance is to degrade a panther to a pzIV, I guess it’s for the smoke.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A weird one is ‘Abandon Ship’ where the German balance is to degrade a panther to a pzIV, I guess it’s for the smoke.
It is odd, seems they were making a way for the Baz to take out the AFV through the front AF, but forgot they can blot out the sun.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back burner To-Do List: Create a redesign of this scenario on the KGP map...
You might want to to do a little historical research as well as I don't believe there were FlaK-Panzers at Cheneux at all, they were all FlaK-wagons (i.e. halftracks or wheeled AA mounts). My buddy's dad, Bill "Knobby" Walsh, acting 1SG G 3-504 PIR at the time, was in that fight and awarded a DSC for taking out the last FlaK-wagon that guarded the bridge at Cheneux. He has stated many times, when asked be me and others before he passed, that he neither saw nor heard of any FlaKPz being in Cheneux, only Flak-Wagons. I also don't believe I've ever seen a historical reference to a FlaKPz being there as well.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might want to to do a little historical research as well as I don't believe there were FlaK-Panzers at Cheneux at all, they were all FlaK-wagons (i.e. halftracks or wheeled AA mounts). My buddy's dad, Bill "Knobby" Walsh, acting 1SG G 3-504 PIR at the time, was in that fight and awarded a DSC for taking out the last FlaK-wagon that guarded the bridge at Cheneux. He has stated many times, when asked be me and others before he passed, that he neither saw nor heard of any FlaKPz being in Cheneux, only Flak-Wagons. I also don't believe I've ever seen a historical reference to a FlaKPz being there as well.
I wish they put a flamethrower for the bmg on those FlaKPz.

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wish they put a flamethrower for the bmg on those FlaKPz.
I'd like MMP to print someday the US Shermans w/the optional FT instead of BMG.

[This moment, you have to put a BMG-disabled marker on it to show you've go the FT SA.]

See H1.12 pH1, US Vehicle Note 8..16 ppH34..35 and US MAVN F pH44.

Sure, that's 9x counters (double if you want 2x each) but we're worth it. 😉

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
BFP released those FT Sherman counters. They are good enough.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
this is interesting. Could you elaborate why do you think is unbalaced and how it could be possible eventually fix it? I have a theory about this scenario, curious to see if it's a common view.
I have more than a theory about G1 Timoshenko´s Attack, we loved it, have played it vs more than 30 different opponents, the last 10 playings of the scenario have been with the new better version.

In the link, you can see all the updates made to it, the updates boost the Russians and improve it in many other regards, could write an article about it. Will be released with a similar scenario name in the upcoming 2nd edition of the Stavka Archives (2023-24), but only sold face-to-face.