Name That Game

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yea, not being able to place pics directly into posts (vs linking to them) seemed not to carry the same impact to me. But, if you guys like it, then take 'er away! :laugh:

Patrocles

Reaction score
Marines said:
Since Jim has recently abandoned this topic I thought I'd pick it up.

Name that game.
I haven't played any naval games...except and old, old version of Harpoon on my buds Mac...

"Red Storm Rising" is my guess.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If only RSR looked that good... unless they did a remake (please, please, please...).

Not the up and coming Dangerous Waters is it?

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I thoughth hallusinogens were illegal?
And how did you transfer it to the computer screen? :p

Damn good looking whatever it was.
Hope it's from a 'real gaming situation' and not on of those fancy fill ups they put on the boxes that have nothing to do with the actual game's graphics. Now what I mean?

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
chrisvalla said:
If only RSR looked that good... unless they did a remake (please, please, please...).

Not the up and coming Dangerous Waters is it?
Please what is rsr? I'm always on the prowl for a good Naval game since I played silent service on commodore 64 back in the 80's!

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RSR is short for 'Red Storm Rising'. It was a sub combat simulator for the C64 (and others I believe) in the late 80s early 90s. It was fairly good in its simplicity yet offered quite a bit of gameplay and loads (IMO) of re-playability. The premise behind it was that you as a US sub commander could affect WWIII in Europe with missions ranging from sub hunts, anti-amphib ops, Tomahawk land attack missions, fleet attacks, to the inevitable hunt the boomer last mission.

I always loved a full TASM spread let loose onto a suspected enemy task force... :devil:

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
chrisvalla said:
RSR is short for 'Red Storm Rising'. It was a sub combat simulator for the C64 (and others I believe) in the late 80s early 90s. It was fairly good in its simplicity yet offered quite a bit of gameplay and loads (IMO) of re-playability. The premise behind it was that you as a US sub commander could affect WWIII in Europe with missions ranging from sub hunts, anti-amphib ops, Tomahawk land attack missions, fleet attacks, to the inevitable hunt the boomer last mission.

I always loved a full TASM spread let loose onto a suspected enemy task force... :devil:
was it based on that Tom Clancy book I loved it in my late teens!
As to the game it sounds like a 'modern' version of silent service, which I loved.

Say, why dont they do decent naval strat games, I tried the south pacific game called uncommon valour, but it was just micromanaging without really any big war events happening.
I heard it's been enlargened to encompass Nimiz's drive to japan.
Some guys loved it, perhaps I'm just too lazy.
I would love a toaw level game that incorporates carriers and subs ect in a playable yet cunning way with scenarios from ww1 to modern day.
Some say harpoon is great, I remember we ordered the board game in the 80's and couldnt be bothered.
I suppose I'm just a bit too much a land lugger.
Also good cold war air strategy has some scope, hell even ww2!
Think of it, you decide to put the me 206 onto full production in 43, that would tighten the cit rep!

Or putting wave after wave of bombers on the Brit radars, and then going on, as Kesselring, there is so much scope for good strat games, that could even combine you stepping in on a bomber or fighter (as the commanders did in ww2).
I feel the games firms spin off the same games with different graphics much too often.
Yet, lets not moan, we have some gems, and from what I hear more are coming!

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sunburn said:
Try the computer versions of Harpoon.

http://www.advancedgaming.biz
checked it out, and I must say that a game where the pc does all the labourious computations of missiles hitting or missing agaisnt countermeasures ect...
Is VERY inviting, I suppose one can order this game from the site, as the Finnish shops do not have it on their shelves.

Also, I have a feeling my old TOAW disc has become warn out, do you know where to order a new copy of the Century of war edition?
Mr poundr.

Sunburn

Reaction score
Country
llGreece
Yes, you can order either from the AGSI website or from the Harpoon Headquarters (http://www.harpoonhq.com). It is available only through online purchase (the AGSI site has a list of payment options, IIRC).

As for TOAW, I think it's been a while since it went out of print. You might get lucky at some bargain bin or another, but your best bet is online stores or eBay.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
So what is this good looking game..? Is it up to harpoon?

Is Harpoon so realtime that you are waiting and then almost suffer a heartattack because you have to command every ships decoy's and missiles and plot their action courses`?

Or is there a more intelligent way of going around the issue of a modern (fast) battle???

mr very interested in harpoon.