NAI and TAI? How do you do it?

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy folks.

I just picked up a copy of DA through the mail, and like many others was blown away by the amount of detail -- but I'm also very excitied. I think I can learn the system fairly quickly and get to playing, but needed some help.

I read the manual on the cd, but the only things I didn't get were how to set NAI or TAIs? The manual constantly refers to these terms, such as when you want to send attack helicopters to attack you're supposed to click on a TAI? But how do I get TAIs in the first place? Are they something I can place? :confused:

Also, I think the NAIs were for intelligence purposes but I wasn't sure, and I have no idea how to place them either. I think each team (blue, red) only gets a certain amount of each of these depending on the mission? Beats me.

Help on this stuff would be awesome :laugh:
Thanks,
-Angrylemur

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't have time to make an in-depth post right now, but I'll try to do it soon if someone else hasn't already done so.

Don't be afraid of DA, it really isn't near as complicated as it looks. Actually, it's a fairly straightforward sim once you have used it a few times. The difficult part is understanding the terminology. It wasn't really meant to be a "game" as much as a serious training tool, and the design reflects this in both the interface and the manual.

If you need help with the terminology, there are plenty of smart people here who are happy to assist a new player. Just post your questions here.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Use the Graphics tool, from the menu or the button. Then look opn the left end of the button bar (inside the graphics tool); you should see a button for NAI and a button for TAI. You can only have a set number of NAIs and TAIs on the map at any given time; it varies by side and scenario. You can check on the number by opening up the OpOrd, then look at the Order of Battle for your force; the limit is listed down at the bottom of the report.

Click the button, then click on the map. Ta-da! :)

NAIs will detect any enemy unit whose footprint overlaps with the NAI's footprint (2km radius).

TAIs will provide a bonus to artillery, air, and helicopter fires against an enemy unit whose footprint overlaps with the TAI's footprint (2km radius).

Note that NAIs and TAIs placed after the setup turn will require 1 turn to become active. Put it out on turn 1 and it doesn't begin helping you until turn 3.

Attack helos will not activate until their range ring crosses a TAI. I can't recall if the current civilian version of DA has an Attack by Fire option for attack helos.

You can also link a helicopter mission to an NAI. Set up a route for the helicopter, that you want it to fly when triggered. Click on the NAI and note its number. Open the Unit Status Report for the helicopter, set the helo unit to "Link to NAI" and set the correct NAI number. When an enemy unit of either of the helo's priority target types enters the NAI, the helicopter will fly the route you assigned.

You can link artillery and air strikes to a TAI. Assign the target location directly onto the TAI marker and select the "Link to TAI" checkbox. If an enemy unit of the priority type enters the TAI, the mission will fire/fly.

Note that it also gives you the checkbox if you place the fire mission on an NAI... but it won't ever trigger. Bug. :)

Angrylemur

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanx for the help ;)

That's what I needed -- thanx guys :)
I feel really dumb that the answer was hiding in the graphics tool box ... lol

-Angrylemur