n00b needs help (TM)

Rusthoi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hi friends! I'm completely new to the field of scenario making. I'm able to create small clashes between minor armies, but that's about it. I really want to be able to do more, though. So hear my word and answer my design questions!

Events
-How do I make an event to start with?
To be more specific...
* If a certain hex is captured, I want an event to take place.
* If a certain amount of turns have passed, I want an event to take place. How do I do this?

Theater Options
* How do I create a theater option?

Reinforcements
* First of, how do I setup reinforcements?
* How do I make them appear at a specified time?
* I want a batch of reinforcements to appear once a specified hex is taken. How do I do this?

I apologise for my complete newbieness here, but I don't have a manual and haven't really had the time to learn on my own. Any help will be appriciated.

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Rusthoi said:
Hi friends! I'm completely new to the field of scenario making. I'm able to create small clashes between minor armies, but that's about it. I really want to be able to do more, though. So hear my word and answer my design questions!

Events
To be more specific...
* If a certain amount of turns have passed, I want an event to take place. How do I do this?

Theater Options

Reinforcements
* I want a batch of reinforcements to appear once a specified hex is taken. How do I do this?

I apologise for my complete newbieness here, but I don't have a manual and haven't really had the time to learn on my own. Any help will be appriciated.
You can find the manual under the help menu in the program... ;) For an extensive how to do doc on the topic of Evil Ed check this page out at tdg. You´ll find the article in the section TOAW Articles: http://www.tdg.nu/indexarticleaar.html

Last edited:

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Rusthoi said:
Hi friends! I'm completely new to the field of scenario making.
The online manual and Event Editor document linked by Pelle should answer most of your questions, but to make sure you're covered....

If you want them to appear in the captured hex, in most cases, it's enough just to have the units set to appear at that particular hex. You can set the arrival turn to 1 (in the formation editor) and they should appear at the start of the first turn in which the hex is friendly-controlled. You should be wary that both map edges and guerrilla-iconed complicate this.

If you want to have the units appear elsewhere you'll need an event. You can then have the arrival of the units trigger off that event, using the formation editor.

No problem. Good to see people getting into designing for the first time.

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dude,
make sure you have your hair insured before you start.
Lots'll be coming out!!! lol

Post questions whenever you feel you've reached your tolerance on your own, somebody will answer. If I can I will. Give time though, maybe 1.5 days till your answer comes.

Look at TDG though.Good info, good tips.
Best place to start.
I will be posting a document myself once I finish this LAST scenario. The editor is powerful but you need patience and a lot of imagination sometimes.

Sorry 'bout the 'Dude' thing.
Just the only way to start that sentence. lol

:D

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rusthoi said:

Events
From the edit pull-down menu, select “Events”. The event editor will appear. The event editor shows three events at a time, scrollable from 1 through 500. Each event has 9 buttons and a news string. The button functions are (right to left, top to bottom):

Trigger
Effect
Triggering Event
Turn or Delay
Turn Range
Chance of Occurrence
Location x
Location y
Value, Radius, Affected Event, or Unit Name

Not all events use all 9 buttons, and only required buttons will appear. There are a total of 16 different triggers and 70 different effects (not all effects are available for some triggers). These can be selected from respective pop-ups by right clicking on the button. Otherwise, left clicking is used to change button values.

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To be more specific...
Use the “1 occupies” (or “2 occupies” depending upon who’s doing the capturing) event trigger as in the attached .jpg.

Set the location to be occupied with the x and y buttons. When the cursor is over either of these buttons, the location’s name (if it has one) will be displayed in the information panel at the bottom, for checking purposes. Note that the “1/2 occupies” events can only use a few of the suite of event effects, with “News only” normally being the only useful one. It therefore requires the use of a second event activated by the “occupies” event to actually accomplish anything. Here event 23 is triggered when force 1 occupies Sevastopol. This then activates event 24, which removes the supply point at Odessa. This two-event structure is typical of “1/2 occupies” event usage.
1 Occupies.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
*If a certain amount of turns have passed, I want an event to take place. How do I do this?
This is trivial. Use the turn trigger as shown in the attached .jpg.

Note that with the cursor on the turn button, the date is displayed in the information panel, for checking purposes.

Turn.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Theater Options
Use the “Theater Option 1” or “Theater Option 2” event effect as shown in the attached .jpg.

Here event 143 adds a Theater Option to force 2’s TO list on turn 1. If player two options it, it will activate event 144. Otherwise, event 144 will not activate until turn 999 (i.e. never). The target event of a TO usually should be one that will only activate if the TO is optioned. Standard practice is to use the Turn trigger set to Turn 999, but anything similar will do.

Note that if you want the PO to activate any of its TOs you must use an event with the “PO 1 Activate” (or “PO 2 Activate” if appropriate) event effect to activate the TO’s target event. In the above case, the “PO 2 Activate” event would need to activate event 144 (not 143). The PO will not activate any TOs unless directed by such an event.

Theater Option.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reinforcements
First, you must have a valid force structure for both forces. This means that both forces must have at least one unit defined and all of their units must be assigned to formations. Note that when first created, units usually are unassigned, although units created by the “duplicate unit” button will be assigned to the same formation the duplicated unit was in, if there is still room for it in that formation.

Once you have a valid force structure, you can select “deployment” mode from the edit pull-down menu. When this mode is selected the control panel changes from a terrain palette to a suite of nine buttons. The “star” button will pull up the “Formation Report” as shown in the attached .jpg.

Note that there are three columns of buttons. The second column displays/controls the unit’s deployment status. The third column displays/controls the unit’s location or arrival hex.

Note from the second column above that units that are not on the map can be set to arrive on a turn or upon an event activating. A “1 occupies” event would be used for a trigger for reinforcements desired to appear upon a particular hex capture.

Formation Report.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
However, note that if new units have never been placed on the map, and were not copied from units that had been, then the Formation Report will show such units as shown in the attached .jpg.

Clicking the “Not Deployed” status button allows the designer to select either the “turn entry” or “event entry” option. But even once this is selected, the entry location will be shown as “999, 999?”. The correct entry location will then have to either be entered by hand by clicking the location button and entering the x and y values, or by physically deploying the unit on the map and then removing it. The latter method is usually easier and more mistake-proof.

Note, also, that the Formation Report is the place to set the formation orders for the formation. Here, this formation has been set to Static deployment, activating on turn 999 (i.e. never), and with Minimize Losses loss tolerance.

Not Deployed.JPG

Last edited:

Bob Cross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After deploying and removing all the above formation units, and setting their entry dates, the final results look as in the attached .jpg.

Note that with the cursor on the status button, the turn date is shown in the information panel at the bottom. This is useful for checking purposes.

Deployed.JPG

Last edited:

Panzerpelle

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Bob Cross said:
After deploying and removing all the above formation units, and setting their entry dates, the final results look as in the attached .jpg.

Note that with the cursor on the status button, the turn date is shown in the information panel at the bottom. This is useful for checking purposes.
very nice sumary bob!

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Careful where you click in the editor.
If you mis click, it will insert a copy of the one you just clicked on(by mstake). It will throw all your events to shit! after that one, if you have forces or events tied to other events. When you click, be sure you are on the button you want to change.

Save your file often, as soon as you finish a certain event string or something like that. it'll save ya some money on hair transplants.

lol

happened to me before, really sucked!

:D