My Optimum Prep Time for a Scenario is...

How much prep time do you need before a scenario in order to play your best?

• 15 minutes - Just lemme look over the scenario while my opponent sets up and I'm good to go

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • an hour - Let me grok it over lunch and I'll have a good plan for the afternoon game

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • A day or two - If we're playing on Friday, I need to hone my plan over a few days this week

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • A week or more - I start my pre-tournament prep weeks in advance

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people can just pick up a scenario for the first time and have a solid plan straightaway. Some people need more time than that. How long do you need to play your best? Not necessarily how long you LIKE to take, but how long do you NEED to take?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Going into a tactical setting, we already know way too much of detail about the lay of the land and what the opposing force may be. Tactics should be a visceral endeavor with minimal time for thought and success based on what sort of instinctive reactions have been honed into one's mind by prior experience and training.

But thats just me.....

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It will really depend upon the scenario. If there's a lot of fortifications, Bore Sighting, a single critical unit, OBA, esoteric VCs or units, or simply scenario size more time will certainly be required in most instances. I've been lucky enough to have a weekly FtF opponent (and for good number of years 2 or 3) and if we pick the next scenario in advance with time to review or select a defensive setup, the average prep time seems to be about 15-20 minutes per person (give or take), regardless of the opponent. At tournaments the usual given 1/2 hour per person seems more than adequate as the scenarios are usually not that big nor options that great, seldom have I run into a situation that the entire hour was needed for both of us to set up for play. As Jazz has said, I believe that the "tactical" nature of ASL should be given credence even in the set up time allowed, tough the game aspect cannot be overlooked.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Depends on the size of the scenario, of course, but in general 15 minutes to half-an-hour will see me good to go.

If it's a big defensive setup with lots of fortifications etc. then I'd probably need an hour.

Whether my set up will actually be any good is entirely a different matter, but it would be rare when more time than the above leads to any significant improvements on whatever my initial thoughts are.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It really depends on the scenario size. 15 minutes is a minimum for me. Twenty or thirty minutes usually does me for an average tournament scenario.

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I can set up a defence on two maps with 10-15 squads and 5 guns/AFVs in 15 minutes.
HIPsters, BS, and fortifications can add up time quite easily for the defender.
As the attacker I can set up a simple (15 squads/5 AFVs) attack in 5 minutes.

It also depends on VCs, simple and straight VC don't pose any problem. But I really add up some time when confronted with Fortenberry style VC (which definitely I like a lot).

Reactions: ecz

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Good forum topic!

No matter how long I stare at a board - or at my opponent's defense - it seems like I rarely deviate from my initial, "gut-reaction" battle plan. It can be frustrating to "deep think" over a hundred options only to come back to one's primal instinct!

I typically spend the most time reviewing rules that are specific to the scenario at hand: Chapter H; less-familiar units, weapons or terrain; nationality traits; and confirming the details for one or two tactics I plan to employ.

Defense is usually easier, unless there is much fortification/HIP stuff to plan. This can be complicated by certain terrain. I do tend to be a stickler for knowing my LOSs and for (what I imagine to be) "tricky" uses of concealment.

Attacking, OTOH, takes me far longer to plan. Partly due to the greater potential for an early disaster, but also since I prefer to map out my first few turns in advance. You have to keep dictating the course of play or else...you lose!

I'd say 15-30 minutes as a defender, 30-60 minutes as an attacker. Though if given the opportunity, I'll happily ponder a scenario for a few days!

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Some people can just pick up a scenario for the first time and have a lousy plan straightaway.
It also exists. :D

Time depends on:
- size;
- infantry-only or combined arms;
- bits of chapters E, F, G thrown in;
- single or multi-VC;
- fortifications/HIPs inside;
- old maps or new maps (for the player);
- friendly or tournament;
- single area setup vs. multi-area setup.

The last setup i did lasted 40 min. (Tigers and Flames) In retrospect, it was a good setup, albeit non optimal. 20% would have to be adjusted were i play it again.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I typically have a hard time thinking seriously about a setup. I don't know about playing my best, but I tend to quickly imagine how to go about this and that, and rarely have the time to revise my "plans".

When playing a Defender and FtF, and I have the time in advance for the setup I'll try to do it seriously, checking lines of sight, imagining possible situations for the first few turns - but I'm not sure I end up any better than when I do it quickly. If playing the attacker, I'll try to be fast since my opponent is usually waiting for me to finish so we can start playing.

When playing on VASL, if I am attacking and have the defender's setup a little in advance, I will usually try to plan most of my first turn in advance. I guess I am better at this when facing a concrete situation than thinking purely abstractly on the tactics.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tuomo said:
Some people can just pick up a scenario for the first time and have a lousy plan straightaway.
Fake news! I never said that!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I always take forever pondering a defence or an attack. It needs to be carefully over-engineered German-style. That requires time. :D

In a way, there is something to be said for the 'old' scenarios in which you took a turn or two for the forces of both sides to engage each other. You don't need to put much thought into a setup but both sides can nicely have the situation develop.

Nowadays, some scenarios tend to be too short. If you have only 5 turns (or even less) and the action immediately begins kinda with both sides already locked in Melee, naturally, much more depends on a good setup or defence. I'd say it may buy or cost an extra turn which makes all the difference in those shorties.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... Tactics should be a visceral endeavor with minimal time for thought and success based on what sort of instinctive reactions have been honed into one's mind by prior experience and training.
Ah Jazz, you mad Lithuanian. Always livin' it close to the heart :)

OR! A scenario can be enjoyed on a purely intellectual level, savored in the comfort of one's easy chair with a fine bottle of wine and a lovely trencher of Camembert at hand with one's trusty and loyal Australian Cattle Dog snoozing safely underfoot. Days or even weeks in advance, strategies mulled over, weighed for their merits, and discarded in due leisure without all the sweaty hugga-mugga of the Spartan environment of the Rocky Mountain Rumble in Greg Hubbard's basement, amidst the pungent redolence of the Great Unwashed (of which YOU, Sir, are the Greatest).

I submit that this, too, is "playing" the game, and should not be poo-pooh'd by Heathens and Ruffians.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Ah Jazz, you mad Lithuanian. Always livin' it close to the heart :)

OR! A scenario can be enjoyed on a purely intellectual level, savored in the comfort of one's easy chair with a fine bottle of wine and a lovely trencher of Camembert at hand with one's trusty and loyal Australian Cattle Dog snoozing safely underfoot. Days or even weeks in advance, strategies mulled over, weighed for their merits, and discarded in due leisure without all the sweaty hugga-mugga of the Spartan environment of the Rocky Mountain Rumble in Greg Hubbard's basement, amidst the pungent redolence of the Great Unwashed (of which YOU, Sir, are the Greatest).

I submit that this, too, is "playing" the game, and should not be poo-pooh'd by Heathens and Ruffians.
True, this is one way to play the game.

It is the difference between an intellectual endeavor (where intellectual perusal wins) and a sport (where training and reactions win). Both are valid. Indeed, for most of us the game is a blend somewhere in the middle.

I would also agree with many of the other posters, the time spent putting together an intricate defensive web for a fixed fortified position would be apropos.

Heathen? Ruffian? you cut me to the quick!

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
preparing a setup is one of the pleasures of ASL. No reason to make it in hurry and badly. Besides it is a form of respect of the opponent try to have the best possible setup because you offer a better playing experience to the other player.

Thus I usually prepare my setup in advance well before I meet my opponent. And if I'm the attacker I ask the defender s'setup at least the day before. Of course if it is a not pre-planned game (something that tends to happens very seldom ) I can try to make a setup in a reasonable time.

For tournaments I have always my defensive setups ready and done in advance.

I have seen many players that does not spend too much time on setup, as if it is a secondary problem. I think instead that a good setup increases the chances to win and for sure improve the level of the game and of the fun.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ten minutes or one week. a FTF game just give me ten minutes to get it all set up, either side. Any more and I'm second -guessing myself too much, it either works or its a blow out, either way I enjoy the game.

VASL PBEM - give me a week to get the time slot for creating the board and adding in all the terrain changes before setting up, and I need to have some time to zoom in and out a bit while setting up in order to keep a good reference on the entire map in play while doing so - its not all on the tabletop below you in VASL.

KRL, Jon H

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hopefully you only do that when allowed. A6.11.
In me younger days, I was not aware of that. I was mortified when I innocently announced during a game that I 'knew' a particular LOS existed and then learned that I had had no right to check for one during setup... :oops:

von Marwitz