My Next ASL Product or Scenario Pack?

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am restocking my ASL collection after a long hiatus, and as I prefer to play only stuff I have paid for (because designers deserve to be compensated, unless they want to give it to me for free):

If you did not already own it, what ASL product or scenario collection would you spend your next dollar on?

I have most AH/MMP products (and know what I want of the rest, if only I could find it), so this is a question about third party issuers. I am not interested in complaints or insults (those you can send by private conversation). In general, my preference is Eastern Front ETO and early war (including North Africa), but eventually I hope to get to it all. Who are the producers who emphasis quality and attention to detail, for example? Who produces stuff that engages you in the same scenarios, again and again?

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If Eastern Front is your thing and 3rd Party: Bounding Fire Production's Crucible of Steel
If ETO the BFP's Operation Cobra

Best bang for your buck is Dispatches from the Bunker

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If Eastern Front is your thing and 3rd Party: Bounding Fire Production's Crucible of Steel
If ETO the BFP's Operation Cobra

Best bang for your buck is Dispatches from the Bunker
Thanks, just bought all of DftB. Will look at BFP.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. BFP's Crucible of Steel and Poland in Flames.
2. LfT's Cholm.
3. Friendly Fire makes the best tournament sized scenario packs.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For the "whole hog" or nearly stuff, go for anything BFP (except don't bother looking for ItR on evilbay as ItR2 is in the pipeline and will contain everything in ItR).
LFT though more scenarios in magazines or scenario packs has a couple of biggies: KGS & StN.
LCP though to date mainly scenario only packs has branched into a mix of packs with historical maps and in a couple of cases counters.
All the above I can strongly recommend.

For pure scenario packs SP and FrF with FrF getting a slight edge by my reading of other's comments. To be honest I am getting a little jaded with scenario only packs, but that's just me a solo dilettante, but I have all Sp & FrF stuff to date and am likely to continue.

SP = Schwerpunkt
FrF = Friendly Fire
LCP = Lone Canuck Publishing
BFP = Bounding Fire Productions
LFT = Le Franc Tireur

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BFP, Crucible of Steel
LFT, Cholm
LCP, Ost front packs/GD Packs/LAH Packs.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would put money aside for the reprint of BFP's Blood and Jungle.

My priorities in general would be:
BFP (crap load of stuff, boards, counters)
FrF quality is top notch
LFT (similar to BFP, but perhaps a notch down on play testing, and perhaps the best components out there)

Anything from those guys is worth your cash and I have zero problem recommending. First class guys standing behind all of their products.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I echo what the others have said. Nice to see that you picked up DFTB, hard to go wrong there, but then I am a tad biased, being an article contributor. Did you have an eye towards HASL's or just scenario packs at this time? (Shameless Plug Department) The Nor'easter pack, which has 13 diverse scenarios from as many designers is also still on sale, PDF format only, for just 15 bucks. If interested, please PM me and I can get you up to speed. Mark P has a review of it here http://www.desperationmorale.com/products/noreaster-asl-tourney-xx-anniversary-scenario-pack/. (Shameless plug complete).