Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
There was a time when I played virtually every game I could get my greedy little paws on. Sims, shooters, RTS, RPG, action, and even the occasional flight sim -- I played them all! But somewhere along the line I starting spending less time gaming and more time doing other things. Burn the heretic.

I could use the old "real life got in the way" excuse, but in truth that would be a lie because I could be gaming more if I want. The truth is that I simply find today's game less compelling than those from previous years for a variety of reasons. Oh sure, there are still a few titles that fall into the category of must-play-at-any-cost, but far fewer than there used to be. And somehow that makes me a little sad.

On the flip side, I find that I'm choosier about what titles I spend my gaming time with. These days a game has to do more than simply look like it might have potential in order to lure me in. It has to actually look well made AND interesting. There are only so many hours in a day and I don't want to waste my gaming time being someone else's unpaid beta tester. Call me hard to please.

Sim City 5 was high on my list, but EA's abominable handling of that classic series has led to many a negative review and generally put me in a foul mood. I came to Diablo III late, but that title did little to lift my spirits. And now I'm hearing the latest Starcraft expansion is mediocre. Guess I'll have to keep waiting for Rome Total War 2.

So what am I currently playing? Sins of a Solar Empire, mostly. And the original Supreme Commander. I know, my slip is showing.