Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
First game: I was matched with Bill Hayward. We chose AP129 A POLISH BATTLEFIELD. This scenario has customizable OB choices on both sides. I bid Polish and Bill bid German. It turned out we both chose for "most bodies" and "most AFVs", rather than the better quality. I had a mostly reverse slope defense using the ASL plateau effect. I had a few infantry units at the forward crests to keep Bill honest, but the German OBA and smoke ability discouraged me from putting a lot there. This was a long drawn-out battle. The Germans had one MA malf early, and one later. In the end, the Polish attritted the Germans enough to draw a concession from Bill after about eight hours of play.

Second game: I had the opportunity to Mike Puccio for the first time. We chose J189 BUCKLEY'S BLOCK. I bid for the Japanese; I forget his bid, but I played the Japanese. The 37L ATG was mid-board and did some damage, but I was able to flank it and CC it. Capturing the gun and destroying it gave a couple of extra VP. Mike drove the halftrack near a swamp hex and bogged, which allowed the Japanese to CC that as well. A mid-game Banzai helped things along. Going into the last Japanese turn, however, I was still several points short and not everyone could exit with the remaing Americans guarding the board edge. One of those American squads broke with nowhere to rout and a couple of Japanese units CC'd a solitary leader to reach the required 20 VP.

Third game: ITR11 THE CREMATION STATION. By coincidence, this scenario was on my "to play" list, partly because of the title. John McDairmid and I both wanted the Japanese defenders; I received them. John executed a concentrated methodical attack with three large Chinese human waves to speed things along. His armour VBM'd my hypothetical fire lanes, but he lost two tanks doing that. The Japanese 57L tank destroyed the Chinese AC. The Chinese air support destroyed the Japanese 57L tank. The Chinese OBA was relentless. With a mix of 6 black and 2 red (plentiful ammo), John never pulled a red chit, not even for an extra chit draw. He was wearing down my units in the victory building for two turns before his units reached it. On the last Chinese turn, he took the victory building and there was no chance for the one or two remaining Japanese units to get someone back into it.

Fourth game: J.R. Tracy and I chose BFP118 KAZINKA KLASH, an early war action with lots of armour. I know I bid German, but I forget his bid. He defended with the Polish mostly near the board edge of the Polish rear, which was also near one of the two VC buildings and could cover the other. The key thing I did right was using my AFV sD to make a smoke screen to protect my trucks bringing in the two 37L ATG. My Germans attacked mostly up the left. I lost several AFV on the approach, but my ATG did yeoman's work on the Polish armour. The Polish were hurt by a couple of MA breaks, as well as their 37L ATG and the important 81mm mortar. My AL broke his MA on its first shot. Things got complicated when the rear VC building caught fire from a burning Polish tank inside of it. Several nearby woods hexes did the same. So now the Germans needed to control the majority of hexes around that burning VC building. With much VBM sleazing, I was able to do it and the Polish could not take it back.

Fifth game: Paul Sidhu and I played FrF88 PANZER SHIELD. I think we both bid German and he received them. This scenario is quite different from the average. He set up a very forward defense to limit where the Russians could form up for their human wave. I could not come up with a good idea for the Russian BA-6 AC, which we both misplayed as true AC; they actually have truck movement. I used them to try to support the human wave. Paul suggested later that they could use the road to try to swarm one of the tanks. This match was over quickly because the well positioned German tanks and 88 shot up everything with good DR and rate.

Sixth game: By coincidence, Magnus Rimvall of Sweden and I had the same 3 and 2 record at this point. I helped Magnus re-start his ASL hobby earlier this year, so we were pleased to be able to meet at this tournament for dinner on Wednesday night; getting to play a game face-to-face was a bonus. We played BFP114 ENGINEERING DEFEAT. I bid G2 to P0 for Magnus. Magnus had a somewhat forward defence that included his HMG and one of his MMG. With the help of the German assault engineer's smoke and lots of HS, the forward defense was gone in three turns. By the German fourth turn, the Germans were in one of the victory buildings and the Polish were down to just a few squads. Magnus felt that his reinforcements would not be enough to hold off the German attack and so conceded.

Much thanks to Steve Pleva and Joe Leoce for giving me the opportunity to play these games.

Last edited: