My first pbem game

John Given

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello everyone. I just finished my first pbem with Robert Cousin (scorched earth) and I must say, it was an eye-opening experience. Please allow me to break down this game for you (from memory).

This was an East Front II scenario, "Tigers Forward," with 15 turns, muddy conditions and rolling terrain. Visibility is good.

Confidence and possibility (turns 1-3)

Possessing large quantities of tanks and ample infantry, though lacking in airstrikes and artillery, I struck out across the plateau, leaving enough ap for op fire. The center of the map is dominated by a large river basin, in which several towns (and objectives) lie. I destroyed a few probing T-34 m-43's, and pressed on.

Frustration and turning point (turns 4-7)

Two main objectives lay directly in my path; the town of Krasnogorodka (sp?) with 2 50-point objectives would make a nice prize. However, things began to go south immediately as I entered the town (a few infantry platoons led the way). First fire from Robert took an officer and disrupted/reduced a platoon. An entire company of panthers tried to enter the town from the west, and was promptly ambushed by 85mm AT guns at point plank range.

More panthers tried to skirt around the towns northern end, in an attempt to encircle the Russian, but this left the panthers easy meat for his T34's and 85mm AT's, as they shot the side armor. Still more panthers tried to close assault the west portion of the town, costing me some panthers, as SMG platoons were in bunkers and determined not to move.

The following turn, that wounded mass of panthers took the western bunker, but was left in an unenviable position; they were sitting at point blank range of the other 85mm's, and the commander ordered a retreat (else I would have lost yet more panthers). Unfortunately, the panzer commander could not escape in time (perhaps his kubelwagon broke down?) and was killed when mortars smashed into the now-abandoned bunker.

To the south and east, tigers are racking up kills on still more probing T-34's trying to flank me. They are forcing me to keep my best armor from advancing (I had to protect my HQ's)

Confusion and desperation (turns 8-11)

By now, most of my units had moved town into the river basin and were attempting to move beyond, to the nothern plateau toward easier objectives and exit hexes. The mud was making advance almost impossible! Not only was I under constant harrassing fire from artillery, but still more T-34's were probing, and getting kills on occasion.

I had totally given up the idea of taking any more towns in the river basin; the possibility of ambush was too great, and my force too weakened to allow for a concerted effort. Time was heavily against me, my forward units barely halfway up the map.

Despondency and defeat (turns 12-13)

Continued harrassing fire. I was approaching the road junction (and a 50 point objective) I figured if I could just grab that objective and the next one (and forget about exiting) I could get a "draw" result. But Robert had other ideas! On the platueu just north of town, a full company of T-34's ambushed my motley column. Net loss; 10 loaded halftracks, 3 panthers. Although the T-34 company was then destroyed, there could be no doubt; there was no chance of vicory here. Time to retreat!

Came the order from the OKH; Tigers Rearward! :eek:

Aftermath: Though I resigned the game on turn 13, I learned a good deal about pbem, and playing with extreme fow (cost me few panthers) and a thing or two about taking bunkers. I was very careful with my light armor, but ambushes still took their toll. I lost no tigers, but my fear of being flanked kept them in the rear areas, effectively neutering their effectiveness.

A good 10 panthers were lost, and light/moderate loss of infantry. My main problem: disorganization. I also failed to grasp how the mud would make a normal advance impossible. My losses associated with extreme fow will lessen as I gain experience. Now Robert wants to play another training game with ME as the Russians, heh.

I needed +250 points to get a "draw" result. At one point, I was up to about +185, but the end score was about +110, a "minor defeat" for the German - which is what it said on turn one... Finally, congrats to you, Robert, for a challenging and exiting game!

P.S. I wounld like to see more aar's from other forum members.

Last edited:

Scorched Earth

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
ll
John has put me to shame. I have never written one of these and i only offered simple comments on any game played. An excellent report on what was an exciting game. We both learned stuff in this game and had fun. So, all you PBEM newbies out there, what are you waiting for, dig in and look to the front!!! :)

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
Well written I enjoyed reading it. I've only done one AAR and that was just a game against the computer. Perhaps I will have to find an opponent and try and put one together.

DJ

Krink

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
John Given said:
P.S. I wounld like to see more aar's from other forum members.
If I had the memory or the writing skills, I would give it a shot...but since I have neither....

I depend on all you talented members to keep me entertained. :smoke:

Well done John.

Cheers,
Ray