My First Movie Review -- Gung Ho!!

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im going to periodically do movie reviews and everyone is more than welcome to mae comments on them and add to what I may have missed. My first movie will be Gung Ho!!

First off let me say that this has to be my all time favorite movie about the Marine Corps. It was made in 1943 as a propaganda and recruiting film. It starred Randolph Scott with other scuch actors as Robert Mitchum, Alan Curtis, and J. Carol Naish. It portrays the raiding of Mankin Island by the 2nd Raider battalion in early 1942. Randolph Scott does a pretty good job as portraying the commander of a battalion. The training sequences in the movie were to be later copied in other movies such as Sands Of Iwo Jima. I particulary like the sequences with the men in the submarine. It shows what each man thought of being cramped up for so long in tight spaces. The battle sequences were kind of cheesy but other than that, I would have to give it a "A-"

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by jdscott7280
Im going to periodically do movie reviews and everyone is more than welcome to mae comments on them and add to what I may have missed. My first movie will be Gung Ho!! ....
The battle sequences were kind of cheesy but other than that, I would have to give it a "A-"
I thought Gung Ho! was the movie about the Japanese car manufacturer that opens a plant in the US. Oh, well. I am pleasantly surprised.
I haven't seen this one, but it sounds good. I like those "war production films" (the US doesn't make propaganda films in wartime -- our enemies do) -- I've already mentioned Midway and others have mentioned other films. I really like them -- even Alexander Nevsky, the Russian propaganda film from the 30s althought the US WW2 ones are the best.
I'll keep an eye out for Gung Ho!. Thanks for the recommendation.
JS

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If AAFES in Iraq has the same sort of selection we have here in Korea,it should be easy. Theres a series that have three WW2 films on each DVD. I recently bought Gung Ho/Walk in the sun/Go for broke for the grand total of $7.00

Janos

Reaction score
Combat Military Training Center, Hohenfels, Bavari
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SGT Long
If AAFES in Iraq has the same sort of selection we have here in Korea,it should be easy. Theres a series that have three WW2 films on each DVD. I recently bought Gung Ho/Walk in the sun/Go for broke for the grand total of $7.00
All we have here is the field PX (i.e, a trailer). Next time I go to Kuwait I'll keep an eye out for it.
JS

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Janos

See Janos

Even I learned something. I never even heard of the other Gung Ho version. I was brought up on classic black and white movies from my dad. Hey has a massive vhs collection and Im trying to move him over into dvd's.

One thing on Gung Ho, that I failed to mention was that the Raider Battalion still used the old '03s. But in the movie, they were pictured with the M1 Garand. Strange how a weapon that was just being put into service at the time of the movie, was being used in Hollywood. Guess Garand wanted to make a bid to the military for his weapon :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: