My first game solo FG85 Tutorial scene

Grubwurm

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started the tutorial scenario with FOW. Victory levels were that for the WP to do better then a minor he have to churn some of my units up to get it. 200 vps in objectives. 150 minor defeat, 300 major defeat. I play with results by the map so no complete detail reporting.

High Fat. Recovery and Indirect fire and airstikes by the map for options.

Turn 1. I took my scout helos in the NE direction, and ran into xx attk helos. Which promptly started putting holes thru my ships (fatigue). I let them fire then pulled away and went scouting some more, ran into a mixed opfor of 2 xx armor+++ and 1 xxx inf+++ which attacked my poor scout ships (1 vec loss + fatigue). My scout helos withdrew to a safe distance in a valley and hid (movement in the yellow with no firing).

I took my armor and formed them up and like a dummy sent them to the opfor I found with my scout. Ok the orders said this was a delaying action, but my tank cmdr was medal hungry and never been in battle before (explains the "A" morale). Well, if it hurts doing that don't do it (one coy had a 15% vec loss). Communications from hq finally came thru and my armor went back towards Fulda. Report from the tank cmdr was he ran into some resistance and promptly ordered in airstike on the opfor, to cover his withdraw (fatigue).

I then ordered a recon flyby on sec road NE of Fulda (Nothing).

Ended Turn 1 NATO.

Opfor movement spotted NE of Fulda on the secondary road that my recon flyby said was all clear (order sent down to have all pilots eyes reexamined asap). Other then the opfor sighting nothing else was reported occuring.

Turn 2. Signit report hq at the NE main road map edge. After verifing that all pilots can see at least 20/20, ordered a recon flyby at the signit report (bingo xxx hq t-mode sighted). Upon sighting verification (repeat hq sighting report and say it slowly this time). Ordered air strike by the 2 tac air squads that were on standby to attack the hq (3 stacks of inf one was the hq unit, 30-40 men fatigue, 120-150 men disrupted, 30-40 men fatigue. Had laid 2 art mines on the secondary road and hit the opfor nearest to Fulda with HE (some men lost, 1 vec, and disruption).

Formed up the 11th ACR into a regt. and sent the whole unit into Fulda. All helo squads were released so sent them all as one to attack the opfor threat nearest Fulda. (After the first encounter with the opfor threat I knew that the 11th was dogmeat if I sent them on offense - even tho they had ATGM's mixed with armor so did the opfor and in greater numbers).

After the helo strike had them pulled back to a valley to hide (I did not use all of my mp's for attacking the opfor just made each one fire once or twice). Results were poor on the helo stike but I was hoping for another disruption.

Checked Victory levels and noticed that I was 30pts shy of stopping the minor defeat. The opfor occupied one objective for 50pts (22,11).

Ended turn 2 NATO.

Opfor should have occupied the the vp at 19,15 on this phase but that didnt occur. I had no units to spare for the protection of that vp hex. The WP forces were more concerned about Fulda and the 11th ACR in their spot. Hell came Fulda during this period let me tell ya it was so bad that all 3 units in Fulda were disrupted and my hq took most of the damage (72% and fatigue in the yellow, & loss of morale). I think when the smoke cleared and they peaked out of the foxhole there was 4 stacks attacking Fulda 3 xxx inf+++ 1 xxx armor mix+++ from across the river at hex 21,9. I now know that everything WP had to attack with went into Fulda (air, art, and df x 4). End result my hq was chewed up and took a beating but kept on ticking. Orders were sent to pull the hq back a few hexes but the aide didn't deliver the orders in time (Had aide dispatched to op duty at the rivers edge).

Checked Victory levels he still needed to kill alot more for that minor now.

Turn 3 - on

After the poor showing of the WP mass attack on Fulda. Orders were sent out to make a stand in Fulda with 11th ACR A/1+++ and D/1 (both with "A" morale and green fatigue) digging in at Fulda. HQ was pulled back 2 hexes W of Fulda with the artillery. Had a WP force across from Fulda 2 of the inf were disrupted tho so no big threat. Sent the scout helo out looking for the disrupted hq from last turn. Found a few WP forces and had some hits (fatigue) before I found WP main HQ (still disrupted). Sent orders for the helos to attack the HQ (bingo BROKEN). Order a mine and 2 HE IF on the occupied river hex (3 units out of 4 disrupted). Since the armored units were digging in no DF attacks were made on the river threat.

I checked Victory levels and there was no way for even a minor defeat anymore cause of the damage to his HQ. I think it was by like 20-30 pts shy of minor if WP held all the vp objectives. The other unseen result of the broken HQ was those 3 disrupted units werent going to be a big threat anymore.

So from now till end of turn 10 it was how bad were they going to lose. The situation in Fulda was really like a lil stalingrad in that with elevation of 225m and rubble -30% it was pretty cosy. I had a mobile attack force and an almost undefeatable postion in Fulda with the river on my front.

The WP kept up his attack on Fulda my postion went from IP to trench, and his results went from 1-2 unit loses to just fatigue. Kept up the flying attakcs at any ripe target with my helos. By now the scout was yellow fatigue and the transport helo was destroyed. Still had the 2 attack helos with range of 2.

Now, stepping back this is really a slanted win cause my southern flank was totally open for breakthru into rear for the art and hq, not counting the 50vp that was unguarded. A human would have had me looking for the exit sign by now and that was what my original plan was to hold up some to 75% losses and then head for the border.

Well the following turns were just more of the same with my defense units actually getting replacements and getting bigger rather then smaller from the attacks. After that first encounter with the WP armor I never attacked with my armor again. I just used my IF and the helos to do harass and detainment.

END GAME

NATO
Men 65 14
Vec 4 11

WP
Men 543 96
Gun 1 1
Vec 25 50
Art 2 15

score -78 WP Major Defeat

End of Report

I need input please S41, FG85, S43, F40, & EL43 any scenario.

Grubwurm