My First ASLOK

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
well to be fair, you need to handle three games a day if you enter minis. If you want a slower pace, you can have just as much fun playing two games a day (slightly larger perhaps) and enjoying the social aspect of the event, which I have come to enjoy. Or play huge stuff and leave it set up for two days and when ya want to stop, you can stop.

When I was entering minis it started to feel like work. Slower pace is just fine by me.

Peace

Roger
To me ASLOK is much like life - a marathon, not a sprint.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I make it a point to get to ASLOK on the first weekend of the event. Play a couple of monsters during the first few days then just playtest. By the end of the week winning or losing no longer matters--just see how many scenarios can get testing and what can be done to make these work. Start big, then test the smaller ones until Friday night comes and the brain is "full". After one week, I leave satisfied. For me, the games are not the primary draw. What I have come to cherish most is the reunion with old friends and making new ones each year. It is always great fun.
Almost one week later and my mind is slowly recovering from ASLOK brain lock. I often wonder about how many calculations did my brain make during that one week span. Definitely good exercise for the brain.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It takes me a week just to get warmed up for a good game.

Last edited:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
hummm

very sardonic opponent

I can live with it
I meant it in the sense of skeptically humorous, not in the sense of disdainfully or derisively mocking. In hindsight, probably a poor choice of words as it can be used as both an insult or a compliment.

Hopefully we get in another game next year. :cool:

Lipka149

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Delightful to read another first timer's experience. I'm checking in as a first timer myself. Here is what I experienced ...

Arrived Tuesday night with no thought about playing, only meeting. Bret looked a bit young to be hosting such an event, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt since I figured he would be the go to guy for anything I needed. This was a good thing, as I needed a lot the next day. Also met "Wild Bill", who did not impress me as being "Wild" at all ... only a big toothy, smiley, friendly guy who had no idea what the AFV image on my name tag was. No matter ... he Scrounged up the last remaining name tag clip for me and later on opened the map for FB so I could see it. As an event planner myself, I am happy to give full credit to everything Bret and WB did to ensure a well planned, well monitored player experience.

<aside> The reason why I even came to ASLOK was to meet a long time VASL foe (David Hull) and make sure he didn't get too far ahead of me in our RB CG. Knowing someone, even if only virtually, made it a lot more comfortable for me. I was surprised to be recognized by Ray Woloszyn as one of the "Men of Company A" published in the '89 Annual, and to immediately be introduced to Doug Sheppard who lives in my neighborhood. What a great way to start !

So Wednesday started with my first FTF game in over 20 years. Scared ? You bet ! But perhaps not as scared as my worthy opponent, Steve Flicker. He had his info counters and German OB, but I think I gave him a bit of a pause when I pulled out my tupperware container with about 500 mixed counters and asked "what am I looking for ?". Ha ! No problem ... Bret came through with Board 5a and the British counters so we could play The First Virtue. Steve set up as the German and I agonized over my entry ... only to have him scowl in agony himself in the middle of my first MPh. He set up in two illegal hexes ! So my first lesson was to check my opponent's setup before doing anything. We agreed to continue and my attack was so inept that the setup error made no difference. Steve took a well deserved victory. I would happily play him again.

Thursday gave me a better attitude about playing someone who had experience, and I really liked the DASL mini, so I came down to the game room early. Bret pointed me over there without any hesitation, and there sat ... Larry Zoet. We set up It Don'T Come Easy with me as the German. Larry set up dispersed, and I waltzed safely into positions that were just short of the ones that enabled me to meet the VC. Arghhh ! Learned some things along the way and had a great time going back and forth with Larry. Ain't nothtin' like end of Game CC against AFV's ! Would play Larry again any day.

Friday was a game in the Schwerpunkt mini against Mike Rogers. Lost The Golden Arrow, but learned a lot. AAR discussion pointed out that my BAZ had WP ... and we both shared things that we missed. Two definitive things I learned from Mike ... Schwerpunkt scenarios put a premium on movement and it is really, really important to know what the VC are. Perhaps the best critique of my play came from Mike. He told me I was an interesting combination of Rules knowledge and Inexperience. Wow. Certainly gives me a motive to build my experience ! And play Mike again. Great opponent. Always wanted to visit Montreal. :-}

By Saturday morning I was much more interested in actually playing than being afraid to play. Enjoyed a Squad Bleeder scenario with Owen Corrigan from the Emerald Isle. Delightful young fellow who patiently helped me through the Airplane Rules and smiled as I made zooming noises while strafing his troops. He also gave me a lesson in armor tactics, as his Tigers turned my T-34's into junk. I lost pretty badly. Noticed during our AAR that I forgot to bring my OT-34 on board (arghhh> and was not counting CVP toward the VC ... which made my whole game strategy pointless. So after learning the hard way to pay attention to both setup and Victory Conditions just days earlier, I still remain a bonehead. Another wonderful experience with a terrific opponent.

Stuck around Sunday to watch the GROFAZ final, but by then wanted to play rather than watch. Was astonished at how few guys there were gaming on Sunday compared to the days before. Travel planning, no doubt. But I was glad to stay and see the end of Rocket's Red Glare between Bill and Jim. Did get a small game in (finally) with David Hull. We played Turned Away from RB and my Russians prevailed against his Sturmgruppe. David and I are long time VASL foes, so playing FTF turned out to be ever so enjoyable. And besides ... I won ! :)

So that's the game recap, but it doesn't even come close to telling what the whole experience was about. Seeing John Dober's map of St. Nazaire and borrowing his counter trimmer ... taking pictures of the different storage systems for maps/counters ... pawing through all the ASL stuff from the Gamers Armory (plus meeting Scott and his wife Crystal) ... watching the expressions on my opponents faces as Snakes and Boxcars were rolled ... drinking a cold adult beverage at the start of Turn 4 ... and another at the start of Turn 5 ...meeting some of the guys who I only knew by name (Brian Martuzas, Wild Bill, Pete Shelling, Ray Woloszyn, Doug Sheppard) ... and meeting some who's names I now know ... personally knowing the winner of the Biggest Loser No More mini (David Hull) ... and afterwards winning my game with him ... :) ... watching the interaction between Mike Rogers and his wife Diane, who sat right there with him while doing her own thing and lovingly asking him "why he did that" after making a questionable move (I think she was watching/listening the whole time) ... using plexiglass to cover the boards ... finding out that no one knows all the Rules, or all the open LOF's ... buying ASL stuff ... thinking about the games I played so much I couldn't sleep because I knew I could do better the second time around ... being so tired after 6 hours of play that one game/day was enough ... listening to the banter around the GM's table ... and on and on and on.

So, in the final analysis, it turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. And I know for a fact it can and will be a deeper, richer, even more enjoyable experience next time.

Only two regrets ... wish I could have stuck my hand out and introduced myself to Perry and wish I could have met Martin Vicca. Perry is a stranger who's acquaintance I would like to make, and Martin is someone I recognize from a looong time ago but can't quite place him. ASL Club on AOL perhaps ? In any case, I'll be lookin' for both of these guys in the future ...

... and all the rest of you Counterheads.

~ Alan

Last edited: