my First AAR (GIUK)

Dogma One

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I lost two submarine: One swiftsure (British) One Los Angles Class, USS Albany :( At least, I was able to damaged one of their airfields.

GUIK Rapier

8.1 Background: NATO fears the overwhelming power of Soviet cruise missile attacks launched from long range land based bombers. Most of these bombers are concentrated in a relatively few airfields on the Kola Peninsula. This fact is not lost on NATO planners. The Soviets can expect NATO to attack these airfields with cruise missile equipped submarines in an attempt to disrupt Soviet attacks on NATO shipping.

8.2 Blue Orders: You are the commander of a small force of submarines whose mission is to destroy several key Soviet airfields. You will attack these airfields with four Improved Los Angeles class submarines, each armed with 12 Tomahawk cruise missiles, some with conventional anti-runway warheads and some with nuclear warheads. You are not to use the nuclear warheads unless you receive prior authorization. Depending upon the orders which you receive, you should concentrate each submarine's firepower on a single base. It is hoped that you will catch bombers on the ground and destroy them in the attack. You will have a few SSNs flanking you which will clear your way if necessary. All subs should attempt to avoid contact with enemy forces until after the missiles have been launched. Destruction of these bases is much more important than sinking Soviet naval vessels. You may, however attack targets of opportunity during your return home.

8.3 Intelligence Brief: Your mission will take you into waters very heavily patrolled and defended by Soviet forces. There will be large numbers of surface units, submarines, and ASW patrol aircraft in the area. If you are detected by any Soviet unit, you can be sure that additional Soviet units will quickly converge upon your location and hit you with everything they have. Anticipate that launching any weapon will immediately give your position away.

8.4 Minimum Victory Conditions: Destroy two Soviet bases and get some of your attacking submarines safely out of the Barents Sea.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Always nice to hear another player enjoying Harpoon. Thanks for sharing your AAR. :D

TonyE

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the AAR Dogma, that is one scenario that would play quite a bit better if rebuilt in EC2003 battleset for HCE. In EC2003 in HCE the expanded radar model means that your Tomahawks would have been much more stealthy and in turn much more likely to impart more damage on the Kola bases. On the other hand, getting thru the ASW defenses likely would have taken some more cunning too. I recall being frustrated at not being able to destroy the bases in that scenario...

Tony