My Dream Tourney

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy

Had this thought, my dream tourney would be one that had all HASL scenarios in each round. Thus I would not have to cart around 75+ maps but instead lug around a few paper maps. Would people go to such Tourney formats?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Howdy

Had this thought, my dream tourney would be one that had all HASL scenarios in each round. Thus I would not have to cart around 75+ maps but instead lug around a few paper maps. Would people go to such Tourney formats?
Hi Scott,

I like the idea, however there are not so many good HASL tournament scenarios and they are often very heavy on Special Rules.....(exception to both: Hatten).

Not sure it would be my dream tournament, although there are some really great HASLs with super maps and a different playing experience.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy

I've tried this a number of times at the Bitter Ender. I've had Minis for historical scenarios only. Added historical scenarios to rounds. We always had custom maps available along with Historical SSRs. Interest in the historical minis was always low and they were the last to fill up. The scenarios in the main tournament rounds never got played. I've given up thinking this would work (much to my disappointment). Decided not to go this route anymore due to costs of printing custom maps that never get played.

It seems like a good idea to me but the market (at least for the Bitter Ender) proved me wrong.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are alot of Tourney style scenarios, From Grizzly Bear from HoB's BRV to Ryans Orphans from BRT to many many more. As for having an actual tourney with HASL scenarios, I think you will need to start out small and grow. I dont think adding HASL scenarios to an already established Tourney will help much since most of those players tend to gravitate towards standard tourney fare of the usual one or two board scenarios with a few squads and AFV's on both sides.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
When preparing your kit for the tournament, the maps are fragile, of different formats, you need to make sure the special rules are there along with the armory pages for special vehicules, the counters may be integrated and therefore scattered in different boxes. It's not very practical. And following Jacometti, there are not so many scenarios of the appropriate size.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed this at Bitter Ender when we played the three-player scenario from Festung Budapest as a prelude to the Main Event.

I've tried this a number of times at the Bitter Ender. I've had Minis for historical scenarios only. Added historical scenarios to rounds. We always had custom maps available along with Historical SSRs. Interest in the historical minis was always low and they were the last to fill up. The scenarios in the main tournament rounds never got played. I've given up thinking this would work (much to my disappointment). Decided not to go this route anymore due to costs of printing custom maps that never get played.

It seems like a good idea to me but the market (at least for the Bitter Ender) proved me wrong.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmmmm, RB, VotG, OVHS, RO, Hatten, KGP, PB and a few more do not require special counters for the most part but if there was to be a tourney with just HASL's the TD would say what would be required. To be more to the point, a tourney like this would be more for people who enjoy playing HASL's over heavily scripted FRF and DTF fare. Dont get me wrong, those scenarios are balanced but replayability too me seem very low compared to the replayabilty of most HASL scenarios. For example, I can replay HF Farinhight 352 or HF Bartoldos the Brave or HS A few Rounds or HS Got Milk and many many more of these types of scenarios multiple times vs the drudgery of playing some heavily scripted geo board scenario.

So the maps are fragile, make copies or store them securely, your geo boards probably get battered worse anyway. Anyway, this type of tourney would be for people who enjoy playing on HASL maps and not for the typical tourney commando.

When preparing your kit for the tournament, the maps are fragile, of different formats, you need to make sure the special rules are there along with the armory pages for special vehicules, the counters may be integrated and therefore scattered in different boxes. It's not very practical. And following Jacometti, there are not so many scenarios of the appropriate size.

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

You got me thinking. So although I agree with Ganjulama that historical scenarios (with several notable exceptions) are underplayed at the ASL OPEN, setting a tournament list with limited numbers of boards and nationalities would be an interesting challenge. So here is the challenge for "The Majors":

The Majors would need:

1. 30 relatively evenly balanced scenarios that play in about 6 to 7 hours (2 minutes per turn for each vehicle and one minute per turn for each squad, halfsquad, crew, gun, OBA).
  2. Only the major WWII combatants, German, Russian (Partisans), British, Japanese, US.
  3. No more than 25 maps (this number is negotiable).
  4. No more than 20 overlays total for all 30 scenarios (this number is negotiable).
After checking the most recent ASL OPEN scenario list, the tough part is limiting the maps. I was surprised at how many maps were needed for the OPEN.

David

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Melvin runs HASL FTF tourneys, last was Hatten.

These HASL tourneys would be naturals for say 16 players using VASSAL. You could have longer scenarios on specific HASLs, with two month rounds.

Much like Carl's desert/paratrooper/PTO VASSAL mini tourneys.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Another venue for HASL events are the ASLOK minis. I don't remember how popular they were compared to "standard" minis.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
I would go, but then again I go to them all, don't I?

Melvins 2'nd 2019 HASL tournament (Red Factories) is coming up here in Sweden last weekend of May, there are spaces available I believe.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is very cool but unfortunately I just do not have the money to get such awesome tourney's.

The problems with VASL are player unreliability and time zones. I sure as hell do not want to get up 4am

I think whoever runs this aught to do it on VASL.
I would go, but then again I go to them all, don't I?

Melvins 2'nd 2019 HASL tournament (Red Factories) is coming up here in Sweden last weekend of May, there are spaces available I believe.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
The problems with VASL are player unreliability and time zones. I sure as hell do not want to get up 4am
Yeah, that is a hazzle, but it is my dream to get up to the 2'nd level in the VASL league, there all the players are in the same geographical area (though the Europeans are mixed with the Asian/AU/NZ player). I do not find VASL players to be particularly unreliable, and if they are I document the unreliability and request a walk-over. That worked the one time I needed to use it.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott,

You got me thinking. So although I agree with Ganjulama that historical scenarios (with several notable exceptions) are underplayed at the ASL OPEN, setting a tournament list with limited numbers of boards and nationalities would be an interesting challenge. So here is the challenge for "The Majors":

The Majors would need:

1. 30 relatively evenly balanced scenarios that play in about 6 to 7 hours (2 minutes per turn for each vehicle and one minute per turn for each squad, halfsquad, crew, gun, OBA).
  2. Only the major WWII combatants, German, Russian (Partisans), British, Japanese, US.
  3. No more than 25 maps (this number is negotiable).
  4. No more than 20 overlays total for all 30 scenarios (this number is negotiable).
After checking the most recent ASL OPEN scenario list, the tough part is limiting the maps. I was surprised at how many maps were needed for the OPEN.

David
The last Albany tournament required 50 maps for all the scenarios. If a player decided beforehand what scenarios they might play they could trim that number to about 30.

I always include HASL scenarios in the list and they get played by a good number, but not a majority. Therefore, an all HASL tourney would probably not be uniformly welcomed. I will stick with a three round mini from time to time...
Steve

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The group I play with in Scotland had a thought about having a theme for a tourney like all scenarios use Brits as one side, with Germans,Italians and Japanese as the enemy one year , the following year a different main side thus keeping the amount of stuff People would have to bring to a minimum, unless they just wanted free play of their bucket list, also no list of scenarios provided just what maps and nationalities needed , you find out the scenario at the start of the round .

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Country
llSweden
The last Albany tournament required 50 maps for all the scenarios. If a player decided beforehand what scenarios they might play they could trim that number to about 30.
For those of us travelling by Air to many tournaments there are two options:
  1. No maps, no counters, relying on other people for all games (I do that when I fly a budget airline). This works 95% of turns, but gives some challenges when matched with another person without stuff.
  2. One suitcase full of stuff. Using my matchbox system, I can handle around 40 maps, unlimited overlays and up to 5 nations. I therefore like David Goldmans suggestion very much:
"Only the major WWII combatants, German, Russian (Partisans), British, Japanese, US."
I realize that this is a somewhat harsh limitation for the TD, as there are many exiting scenarios using other nationalities (also, it is an affront to the national feeling of the French :)), but for me the number of countries is much more challenging that the absolute number of maps.