Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think some people will have more ASL matches played than usual because of the pandemic. That was not the case for me because of the reduced number of tournament events that I attended. Normally, I attend four or five events each year, including ASLOK. Some were cancelled. Some went virtual. I participated only three ASL events in 2020, all of them thanks to VASL and the internet. They were the Canadian ASL Open (2 W, 3 L), two ASL Oktoberfest mini-tournaments (some games won, but no plaques) and the Sioux City Street Fighting tournament (3 W, 2 L).

I played a total of 39 matches, with three still going into next year. I won 17 of them. That is below my usual 55% win average. There were a few repeat scenarios because of my tournament experiences. Magnus Rimvall and I played seaborne assaults exclusively in 2020. Bruno L'Archeveque and I played almost exclusively night scenarios. Roughly once each week I have be having a playtest session for an Ortona campaign game with Erik Lindblad.

What about you guys?

Last edited:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Prior to 2020 the most games I have completed in a year (since starting in 1993) was 56 (and that would include app 20 games at ASLOK to get to that total).
This year I have completed 61 (30 won, 31 lost), with the probability that I'll make 65. Every single game was on VASL, and about half were PBEM.
I've played 60 different scenarios, so only one scenario has been played twice this year, though some played this year have been played before, and I don't mind that at all.

I've played a bit of everything - MMP, LCP, BFP, LFT, DftB and others.

A record gaming year for me (played a few non-ASL games too), but very few purchases. I'm looking forward to more Normandy HASLs in 2021 (MMP and LCP) and maybe Manila too.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

This year so far I have played 29 scenarios, which is a bit below the average of 35 over 11 years, the latter being the timeframe since when I have been playing via VASL. Currently, 6 games are running or in preparation. My play has been picking up steam only towards the end of the year with more than half of the games having been completed in August or later. Corona had its part in this as it effectively cancelled another time-consuming hobby. I have played 8 different opponents in 2020. My win/loss record this year is quite good with 21 wins to 8 losses. However, I did not have the chance to get whacked at GRENADIER this year...

As always, I have only been playing scenarios and no Campaign Games (the latter simply take too long alas). 4 games have been face-to-face, the rest via VASL. A testimony of the importance of VASSAL/VASL as a splendid tool - in these times especially.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All the time in the world to play but not willing to risk the possibility of transmitting or receiving covid shut down all play. I am a counter slut and therefore VASL has no appeal for me. However, I still was able to proof, design and even try out a solo system that is getting me ready for 2021 to end this worldwide killer and enable us all to meet and play again.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2020 good year, for ASL that is.

Played 120 games , should my last week scheduled games go off as planned.

Only 27 games FTF as some normal opponents hunkered down in their bunkers.

Played in five VASL tourneys, three FTF tourneys.

Happy holidays and a Merry Christmas to all.

Rich

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
All face to face for me, 22 scenarios reported to ROAR, went 16-6. Got in a handful of playtest scenarios and got about halfway thru the Smith's Ridge CG before giving it up. Highlight of the year from a pure fun point of view was DB140 Beasts at Baruth.

Paul S NJ

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
14 games, all FTF (about a third of a normal year). 11-3 with five at home vs Ron Duenskie and 8 at the marvelous-wonderful-thank goodness for-Gettysburg tourney (including a house call with Phil Palmer). 3-2 as attacker and 8-1 as defender. Still holding off from using VASL.

Here's to a better 2021 for us all!

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playtested 8 Dispatches scenarios and roughly 12 of the 16 scenarios for the upcoming Nor'easter Pack II (played the other 4 in 2019). Played a couple Red October scenarios, and one VotG scenario. Played a Swedish Volunteers scenario. Played in one virtual tourney (Nor'easter) and was able to win the tourney at 4-0 (I can't remember if I played a round 5). Just finished my first Red Barricades CG since 1990(!) and had an absolute blast (it was CGIV). Just started playtesting scenarios for the next issue of Dispatches (two so far) and have a game of Cibik's Ridge going with Jeff Wright.

I enjoyed 2020 insofar as gaming is concerned, little otherwise.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all! (PUH-LEEZ!)

P.S. - Here's a big 'thank you' for VASL (and Vassal) keeping us all going this past year. Huzzah!

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completed 45 games (VASL/PBeM). 6 still in progress
Two CG's - RB III and KGP I (both in progress)
Tournaments: North Texas Shootout, 2020 Covid 19, Illuminating Rounds, Cyber VASL (still in progress), ASLOK Mini's
Playthrough of the SP Scenarios in progress. Don has the upper hand in wins right now. But hey - it's ASL ya'll!
Playthrough of the Blood & Jungle scenarios still in progress.

Total wins: 25
Total Loss: 20 ..
PBeM: 12/10
VASL: 13/10

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Have a great 2021!
Pierce

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
6-7-4 this year. Finally played DASL A--To the Last Man, the most grueling game of the year due to the intensity level and swings of fortune and almost a half-day of play (10-12 hours). Another highlight was FT 223--Kings of Bollersdorf, never played with King Tigers before.

I need to play at least twice a month to keep my limited ASL skills up. Less than that and I really need to read the rules more.

Was blessed with excellent opponents in every game and had too much fun.

@kempenfelter--we need to get in at least one game next year, we didn't play at all this year!

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
26 scenarios played this year. 1 (maybe 2) of those were FTF before the shutdowns. 5 of those were probably PBEM. I am 7W & 19 L. I also lost Tarawa CG1 as the Japanese. Even with the poor win/loss record, I am grateful to have met some excellent, and fun, opponents. I'm looking forward to 2021 and hopefully a return to FTF play. VASL is great, but after working in front of a computer all day, I'm finding it hard to be motivated to spend my free time in front of a computer.